Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NSW] Lost keys. Cost to replace?

T-Bone75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline, VC resto
I'm filthy at myself, today I lost my keys including a key to my VZ and one to my VE. Spewing. So is Holden the best/cheapest way to go for replacements, or is there another cheaper alternative? And what am I up for, approximately?

NaY 2.0

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
From what i know

VZ - Will require new ignition chamber + Key ( From holden ) and then having to reprogram the BCM ( Holden )

VE - Get the Key ( stem bit ) Cut then you will have to get a new casing for the ( Stem bit ) and then will need holden to reprogram that key to the BCM

Hope this helps and im close to what has to be done

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
VZ - vin number an proof of ownership to Holden to get a security print out then take that to a locksmith an they will be able to cut an program the key for you. should be between 100 - 150 depending on the locksmith.

VE - i hope you have a spare to copy from, if you do get the key from Holden then take it to a locksmith to get it cut an then back to Holden to be programmed, however some locksmiths can do VE keys a little cheaper so be best to ask them first. If you dont have a spare key then tow truck to Holden to get it all done there is your only option.

T-Bone75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline, VC resto
Thanks guys. I notice you can get blanks with transponders included on eBay.. so if I was to buy one of these and get my spare key copied by a locksmith, then get Holden to pair it to the car, do you reckon this is the cheapest way? (Yes I have the 2nd key for both cars, thankfully).

SJM38S

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Calais L67
If you're concerned about the old keys being used on your cars, you'll have to change out the lock sets.
The old keys may not start the cars once you've programmed the new ones, however they'll still unlock them!

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
Be careful buying them online some places may not cut them or it ends up costing more.
Eg;
EBay key $30
Key cut. $45
Program $50 - $100 depending on who you go to.

Note: prices above are a rough guide only an based on what local campanies near my location charge.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

James VY

I like Nirvana too.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Unless you want a major headache dealing with crap aftermarket keys, do not buy a set up off eBay. I did and ended up taking it to Holden a fortnight later to get a new key done up. They don't fit properly, buttons were already going shot and to top it off it had a bloody Chev logo on the back :spew:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If you want a new key and fob that lasts, you gotta buy genuine holden replacement keys and fobs, these come in a plastic packet with the holden logo and part number etc on them. If you look through the new commodore keys on ebay, you will find there are a few genuine holden ones available on there fairly cheap.. They were on there not long ago for $40 delivered.