Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting engine covers - tips/tricks?

familyguy

Bog Standard
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
Does anyone have any tips or tricks to painting the VY engine covers??

I want to paint mine up in the same colour as the car. Will just going to Repco or AutoBarn and getting a tin of automotive paint to match do the job, or do I need some preparation beforehand to avoid peeling/cracking/etc??

Thanks in advance.

Jim

B£å¢kÐðg

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Just make sure you clean the engine cover before painting it :) I’d also use paint specific for engines as well to avoid the possibility of it peeling. I think autobarn sell a VHT branded paint, that's what I use and i've never had a problem with it.

Here's Mine

Last edited:

familyguy

Bog Standard
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
I found your pic in the other post about painted engine covers Blackdog...very nice! What colour is your car? I might even go to the trouble of painting that front cover like you've done too, that sets it off nicely.

B£å¢kÐðg

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
My car is a dark metallic grey but in certain light it turns a dark green colour, the colour of my engine cover is Kermit green the reason being is I wanted something that stood out when I popped the hood :D

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
What color are you looking at painting your cover familyguy? If you are going to a body color that is metallic will be a different paint type to a solid color.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
there's a huge thread on how to spray your engine cover in the vr-vs forum if anyone wants tips or examples.

Arth

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ Calais
Go for a coat of clear coat over the top. Did it on mine and really comes up nicely, sets it off well.

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
vt1538 said:
What color are you looking at painting your cover familyguy? If you are going to a body color that is metallic will be a different paint type to a solid color.
In what way will it be different. I want to paint mine in tiger mica but don't know if I can get a paint that will handle the heat.

V

VXBullett

I did mine about three months ago and they still look great. I cleaned it very very thoroughly with metho and used a heat resistant engine paint. I used red and it looks hot.

familyguy

Bog Standard
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
sircruisealotVS said:
there's a huge thread on how to spray your engine cover in the vr-vs forum if anyone wants tips or examples.

This one... Linkety link!

I think the few things I've found have got me covered...just need to clean it well and then select a colour! I want to use the same as the car (Holden call it Martini, I call it olive green and sh*t) so when and if I get it done I'll post a pic.