Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Waffle slab

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Hi all.

Just moved into a new house and I dare say the garage floor would have the waffle slab design.
Is it safe to jack up cars on these slabs ? I've heard the stories of people driving into their new home and having the car fall right through the slab.

I was thinking of using some marine ply wood under the jack and stands to help spread the load like a tyre.

Or should I just assume if it's fine to drive on it will be fine with just jacks and stands ?

Any input would be great.

Cheers.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
maybe a chunk of 240x 50 would do it.. go to Bunnings, see if they have any off cuts.. offer them a coupla bucks... for piece of mind...

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
when we built about 3 years ago I noticed that the garage was poured as a solid slab and the rest of the house was waffle (worst decision I was ever conned into by the builder), when I asked why the garage wasn't the same as the rest of the house the builder said it was stronger for holding Vehicles, next door neighbour had his 220ltr fish tank sink due to waffle slab.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
What is a waffle slab?

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
What is a waffle slab?

Has the foam underneath the concrete. All good though, lifted the car a few times, no signs of weakness.

2013-04-12-004.jpg

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I think it's more about insulation, but stupid to put it in the garage.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Cheers edals............................................:beer chug:

shamma020

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
I think its fair to say that if the footprint (surface area) of the jack stand is similar to that of the the tyre which is in contact with the concrete then itd be fine! If you put timber underneath at least bigger than the footprint of the tyre then itll be even safer than driving on it.