Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vicroads tare weight thread

F

foammedia

You may put other states rego weights in here too, but I mainly want to see if the Vicroads ones are in anyway realistic first.

Here's some to get it started.

1990 (V6 GL) Lexcen sedan
Tare 1300

1992 (V8 IRS executive) Holden Commodore sedan
Tare 1277

1995 Jeep Cherokee sports
Tare 1700

I'm sure the VN and VP both weigh closer to 1400kg's and I know the Jeep is no way even close to 1700 kg, more like 1500kg

Anyway what's on the rego sticker of your car/s?

F

foammedia

I see you are all very willing to go outside at look on the rego sticker :p

I went to my shed and got the VH SLE's weight

1982 Holden Commodore VH SLE (auto 202)
Tare 1300

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
Oh right!! I get it!! It was just a trick to get me outside in the freezing cold!!

Well it worked...

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Don't seem to have that up here in the Sunshine State...

Brings up a point I have always been sore on however...with modern materials available, it is just laziness on the designers and car builders part that a new Falcon or Commodore is pushing 1800kg.
There is no reason whatsoever that a car that size should weight any more than 1300 to 1400kg with the performance and economy gains that would bring. Jeez, our old 1978 XC-update GXL Fairmont with an all-iron 4.1 liter crossflow engine, massive steel bumpers and heavy panels only weighed about 1400kg...
Alloys, light weight materials for the interior, and so forth, would help. God, imagine how much extra a new Commodore would weigh if the Alloytec wasn't all alloy? As for heavy wiring systems, quite some years back SAAB and I think some Jap makers came up with the "single wire" possibility. Instead of a massive bundle of wires there would only be one single wire running back to, say, the taillights, and depending on which type of signal was sent, you would have indicators, brakes, or taillights, or a combination of them. I seem to recall it being operated on a system of internal relays inside the lights and other systems that the single wire would send power and a "message" to about what to light up or operate. It made the wiring system a small percentage of the weight of the original, and much simpler to work on and install. I don't know if anyone went with this system into production though, but sounds quite a good idea to me.

YMY-88U

Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VH SL/E
my tare weight for my 1991 vn berlina is 1480kg

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Either 1350 or 1450.. I'm 90% sure it's 1350, but I cbf checking it..

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Gross weight for my VP Calais is 1642kg, we don't have tare's here, but thats shows the comparison of how far they are out

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
mine says 1350 from memory which is way off LOL vl is a damn sight smaller than a vn or anything newer.

MBS206

Reaction score
Wombat said:
Don't seem to have that up here in the Sunshine State...

Brings up a point I have always been sore on however...with modern materials available, it is just laziness on the designers and car builders part that a new Falcon or Commodore is pushing 1800kg.
There is no reason whatsoever that a car that size should weight any more than 1300 to 1400kg with the performance and economy gains that would bring. Jeez, our old 1978 XC-update GXL Fairmont with an all-iron 4.1 liter crossflow engine, massive steel bumpers and heavy panels only weighed about 1400kg...
Alloys, light weight materials for the interior, and so forth, would help. God, imagine how much extra a new Commodore would weigh if the Alloytec wasn't all alloy? As for heavy wiring systems, quite some years back SAAB and I think some Jap makers came up with the "single wire" possibility. Instead of a massive bundle of wires there would only be one single wire running back to, say, the taillights, and depending on which type of signal was sent, you would have indicators, brakes, or taillights, or a combination of them. I seem to recall it being operated on a system of internal relays inside the lights and other systems that the single wire would send power and a "message" to about what to light up or operate. It made the wiring system a small percentage of the weight of the original, and much simpler to work on and install. I don't know if anyone went with this system into production though, but sounds quite a good idea to me.
Give me a new commodore, weighing in at 1800KG, and I bet I can bring it back to at least 1500KG, and you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference in what I took out.

Have you noticed how all new cars are so much quieter then older cars?
Gee, try getting in a merc or similar. You can't hear a thing, due to the 200-300KG of sound deadening... That's where your weight comes from.