Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to remove paint from plastic parts ?

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Hey everyone! Just wondering if anyone out there has experience with removing paint from plastic parts such as bumper bars?

I picked up an original plastic Clubsport bar out of the trader months back and it's been sitting gathering dust while I've tried figuring out how the hell I'm gonna get all the crazed paint off it without resorting to sanding and (fingering the surfaces as they say in the trade).

I rang around a few crash shops to see if they knew anything that I could use but they just suggested wet'n'dry and alot of elbow grease or buy another new bumper.

I know paint stripper would likely damage the plastic so I've ruled that out... but I was thinking brake fluid might do the job ???...it sells in plastic bottles so I dont think it would hurt... has anyone ever tried that ? maybe I should ring around a few brake joints and see if they'll soak my bar in one of their drums of old fluid ???

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
I use cut n polish, I had to do it on a small engine that I accidently sprayed paint on... comes off faitly easily. And that's for metal and plastic too.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
just use some wet and dry. you would have had it done by now instead of debating about it. :)

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
just use some wet and dry. you would have had it done by now instead of debating about it. :)

meh... that's too much like hard work... If I go that route I think I'll invest in one of those little palm sanders that run on compressd air and have the siphon tube for water assistance... that might be the best bet as my bonnet needs to be sanded back and resprayed... may aswell do the lot...hmmm :wax:

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Just give it a roughly sanding it over to rough it up, then paint it. Should turn out okay.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Just give it a roughly sanding it over to rough it up, then paint it. Should turn out okay.

maaaaayte... crowsfeet under new paint doesn't turn out ok... it really needs to be stripped all back.

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Find out if someone in your area runs a sodium blaster. Unlike sandblasting the media doesnt mark the surface.
I have even heard of cars being blasted with the chrome trims left on & not getting marked.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Find out if someone in your area runs a sodium blaster. Unlike sandblasting the media doesnt mark the surface.
I have even heard of cars being blasted with the chrome trims left on & not getting marked.

Cheers :thumbsup: Sounds like a plan !

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
5 year old thread, with no result! shooter what did you end up doing to your bumper?

Im looking at stripping paint from a bumper bar before repairing it, i have heard brake fluid will strip it like butter. i've read 90% isopropyl will do the same. Im going to pop into autobarn or supercheap n check out some plastic stripper, but wanted to suss out what members have used and have success with.

post up