Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engines

TRuchaldo

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 holden vt
hey guys
i got a 98 holden vt and i was wondering if anyone knows where to get new engine? or how much it would cost to recondition or which place to go?

thanks

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
Why do you need a rebuild? How much you want to spend on a rebuild will give you an idea of what you can get. For example a standard rebuild will run to 2k. You could get a second hand motor for a lot less or maybe a later model crate engine and then modify the computer to suit. Or you could get a rebuild from come? Or you could speak to our new sponsors yella terra (see below in the forum) and tell em your budget not including labour and go from there.

TRuchaldo

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 holden vt
cool well my engine has 196 0000 kms so i wanted to recondition it
how much would that cost?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Just because it has done a few k's there is no need to rebuild it. Do a compression test and an oil consumption test first, if they pan out ok, don't fix what ain't broke.

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
cool well my engine has 196 0000 kms so i wanted to recondition it
how much would that cost?
oh mate she's still fresh, don't worry about recon it yet, if anything start adding mods till that kills it:thumbsup: then chuck in a G3:D

TRuchaldo

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 holden vt
oh cool guys

thanx for the help

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
196000kms. mate the motor has only just run in. still alot of flogging left in it.

its the little thing you have to worry about. alternator, waterpump, steering pump. they usually **** themselves long before the motor

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
196000kms. mate the motor has only just run in. still alot of flogging left in it.

its the little thing you have to worry about. alternator, waterpump, steering pump. they usually **** themselves long before the motor

yeah the gearbox will sh!t itself before that. Just remember regular servicing and she'll be fine. Naf33n is right the extra's will crap out before the motor will the ecotec's a bloody well built engine.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
yeah the gearbox will sh!t itself before that. Just remember regular servicing and she'll be fine. Naf33n is right the extra's will crap out before the motor will the ecotec's a bloody well built engine.

Just make sure it never overheats, it's the biggest killer of the ecotec.