Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tips on removing engine and transmission

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
I need to remove the engine and transmission from the ole project car.

Can I remove these together as one big part? My initial plan was to drop the tranny from the bottom, wheel it out and then take out the engine using the crane.

But apparently it's much easier to remove them both together using the engine hoist.

After disconnecting the tailshaft and all the appropriate engine connections (hoses, lines, etc), is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Do I need to take off the bonnet? How should I have my helper help me whilst I'm jacking the thing up?

Anything else? I haven't attempted anything of this scale before and neither has my friend. So any advice at all would be appreciated.

Cheers

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Yeah, you'll need to take the bonnet off to get the crane in over the engine at the right angle. It's also a good idea to have at least two people there if you intend on taking the engine + trans out as one piece. When I did an engine + trans swap on an old VN, we had four people working on it solid to get the stuff swapped over in time. It's a little bit of a pain to get the whole assembly back in straight on the engine mounts, but yeah... removal, not too big a jig.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Cheers Morton,

Has anyone used an engine lift plate before? The X-Flow XF has a 2 barrell carb and it seems much easier to put a lift plate in, than the other options.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Ey man, if you need a spare set of hands give me a yell

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I assume you just intent to bolt the lift plate onto the intake, shounak? It's a good idea if the lift plate fits perfectly... and if you think the intake can support the weight of the engine AND gearbox.