Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cracked head? blown head gasket???

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
I have already posted a thread in the VL section. But Not many people go there and My car is seriously rooted. So heres the story.

Ok so today driving home, its pouring down rain. Car starts spluttering like crazy so i put the clutch in and it stalls. I roll and park it. I go to start it and nothing. It doesn't crank at all. So i try again and it cranks once and then nothing again. I try again and it is now cranking over. At this stage I notice that the fuel pump is making weird priming noises non stop and that when the ignition is on the tacho is going up and down like crazy and you could also hear zapping noises like wires touching each other. I then crank it over and white smoke is pouring out the exhaust. I go and look at the exhaust out and it appears that there is fuel on the exhaust tip. So the NRMA comes... does the usual. Checks for spark... Yep theres spark. Checks the ECU for water... No water. So we try and crank it again and it finally starts and he says it was flooded. So hes following me home in case it ****s up again. Get very close to my house and it ****s up again. So he called a tow truck for me. I get a call from the tow truck company saying that Im not at the spot where my car broke down at. I tell them what happened and they say that I was supposed to tell them that (the NRMA dude is the one who organizes the truck).So now the tow truck company says I have to call the NRMA and book another tow truck so i told them to get ****ed as by the time the tow truck comes the mechanics will be closed. So I will get it towed tomorrow. What do you guys think the problem could be??

And here is the update.

Well it looks like its ****ed. It started and i got it home. I open the radiator cap today and fluid leaks out of it non stop (just keeps rising and leaking out). I noticed it looked a very strange colour (pinky-red) and i could see like a oil film on top of it. I smelt it and guess what I smell..... Petrol.......... So im guessing something is seriously ****ed.

Im so ****ed off:bang:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Start pulling it to bits, it is the only way to be 100% sure. But it does sound like a head or gasket problem.

quick308

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Landrover disco series 1, 2006 Street Bob
i wld have thought he wld of been haven over heating problems if the head gaskets were blown. this is what happend to me with my vh. cld be wrong but i cant see how it wld be the head gaskets as none of those thing hes said happend to me when mine were blown

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
they dont always do the same things to every person, my ford EA did the head gasket, and the problem went unnoticed untill the head itself finally corroded away and water was dumping into two cylinders and blowing steam out the back, only then did the first water / oil contamination occur as well, before that it was just overheating once or twice a week.

another instance would be my girlfriends mothers old car which had oil in the coolant water but not overheating problems for a month or two after that was first discovered, then when the constant overheating began we bit the bullet and had the mechanic pull it appart and fix it.

IDO-360

3800cc
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp spak
sure to be head gasket. sorry to hear about your big head f***k. youtube it you will find very similar senarios

NZVK308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK sold.. VN3.8 and VX aclaim
no over heating symptons to be head gasket...naturaly coolant willrise and over flow whenyou release the radiator cap because the system is still under pressure when the engine is hot...VL commy,s use a high pressure external fuel pump,(about 44psi i think ) so if your pump is still pumping fuel with the power switchd off then could possibly be a relay..( electrical ) crank angle sensor could allso be playing up especaily if its got wet at some stage from cleaning engine bay etc..Personaly i would go through everything eles first before ripping the head apart..process of elimination can save alot of head aches

NZVK308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK sold.. VN3.8 and VX aclaim
no over heating symptons to be head gasket...naturaly coolant willrise and over flow whenyou release the radiator cap because the system is still under pressure when the engine is hot...VL commy,s use a high pressure external fuel pump,(about 44psi i think ) so if your pump is still pumping fuel with the power switchd off then could possibly be a relay..( electrical ) crank angle sensor could allso be playing up especaily if its got wet at some stage from cleaning engine bay etc..Personaly i would go through everything eles first before ripping the head apart..process of elimination can save alot of head aches

are you sure the pinky redish colour isnt coolant? seems very very strange to have petrol in th cooling system,oil yes petrol no...allso have you checkd the dipstick for oil contamination?under the oil cap on rocker cover etc...

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).

Last edited: