Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Astra forum ?? need help on replacing rear brake pads

mgvl

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 1987
Hi

Anyone know if there is a Holden Astra / Vectra web site like this one ?

Im replacing my rear brake pads on my girlfriends Astra and have come on a problem I have not seem before.

Normally you pull the caliper off and use a G clamp to drive the piston back.

The Astra sucker will not push back and seems to have some sort of ratchet interlock on the handbrake caliper lever to prevent it being pushed back.

Any ideas on how to push the piston back ?

UNKNOWN

DEFECTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR SII BT1 5 Speed
If its anything like my mates falcon ute it twists in like a spiral. You might have to losen something on the back of the caliper to let it push in. Hope that helps.
I'll ask my mate what he had to do.

UNKNOWN

DEFECTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR SII BT1 5 Speed
He says he took the hand brake lever off and kinda unwound it? Dunno if the astra would be the same tho, never done one. Give it a go though, u never know.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
we have these on the hondas at work and my mums nissan pulsar, its a cross shape in the middle yeh? get a pair of pliars and open them or a large screw driver that will fit and turn them in, don't need to pull the hand brake lever off, they may take a while to turn in, so don't worry if there taking a bit to turn in, use a bit more force and they'll start turning in, there is also a brake caliper tool (square, with round and square/oval points on each side) you can get from bursons and repco for these too that fits on a ratchet and u set the ratchet to do up as your turning it in, may need a short extension, hope this helps, good luck with it.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
theres a specific tool to push them back they need to be screwed back in you will destroy them if you try to force them back
make something to sit in the pin holes in the piston & push it while turning it clockwise