Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to remove Water in fuel Tank

Lafanter

Reaction score
Members Ride
COMMODORE EXEC VY
hi guys
how is every one

i accidentlly put 4 ltrs of water in my VY commodore exec's fuel tank when it ran out of fuel yesterday.:bang:

how can i remove it
does it effect the engine:undead:
car does not start
i tried to start the car 2 - 3 times after putting the water then a friend told me it was water in the fuel container.:bang:

what do i do now?:cry::bow:

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
hi guys
how is every one

i accidentlly put 4 ltrs of water in my VY commodore exec's fuel tank when it ran out of fuel yesterday.:bang:

how can i remove it
does it effect the engine:undead:
car does not start
i tried to start the car 2 - 3 times after putting the water then a friend told me it was water in the fuel container.:bang:

what do i do now?:cry::bow:

You could try siphoning the water out (doubt you will get much out) and diluting the rest in a full tank of fuel.
Really the only way to get it all out is to drop the tank, and let it run out, should make it easier being fairly light with only 4 ltrs in the tank.

VZTHUNDER

Enhanced Custom Tuned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder MY06
you will need to get it out of the fuel lines too
also water in combustion chamber = VERY bad

VZTHUNDER

Enhanced Custom Tuned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder MY06
im sorry im not able to describe the process. just any form of water in the combustion chamber is bad. it can be picked up from the tank, pump, lines, injectors

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
I dont think the water isnt going to do a whole lot, just drain the most you can. Then it might be an idea to remove the fuel hose at the fuel pressure regulator and hardwire the pump, to suck the remaining left in tank and lines. Whack a decent amout of fuel back in the tank. Worse that could happen it it will cough and splutter for a bit.

EDIT: It also might be worthwhile putting some metho in your tank before you refill it with fuel. It should absorb the remaining water.

Last edited:

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
water in combustion chamber is bad because water cannot be compressed or combusted

Thats true but i dont think nearly enough has enterered the motor, too cause hydraulic lock or anything. As the fuel pump only primes when turned to ignition, and doesnt start up until theres oil pressure. Just take the spark plugs out and crank it over a few times should remove anything left.

PRH

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp s utility,and a KENWORTH
drain the fuel tank for a start, im not sure how much the fuel filter will catch try to blow out as much as possible from the fuel lines then put some metho in the tank (it will absorb the water) prolly 5 lts will surfice and then dump it out again.Or as previously mentioned take it to a mechanic.
Phillip :wax:

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
1, drop and drain the tank,
2, remove the fuel pressure regulator off the fuel rail, (bulby looking thing with a vacuum hose attached to the plenum chamber on the passengers side of the engine)
3, remove the fuel filter
4,, grab an air gun, or a pressure pack of oxygen and blast it back through the fuel rail until no more liquid comes out the pipe near the fuel filter, may have to seal off the with a rag aswell the get pressure behind it,
5, refit the pressure regulator,
6, replace the fuel filter with a new one,
7, refit the tank, fill it with petrol and add 1 cup of metho (mixes any traces of water with the fuel)

you wont have to pull the plugs and crank as there would be very little water in there (will blow out the exhaust) the only problem i could see is that if a little bit of water is in the cylinder it could start to make a little surface rust so best to get it running as soon as you can