Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WB Statesman blue 308 motor wont start..

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Hey Guys i hope someone can point me some kind of direction with this

Mate has WB ute with a BLUE 308 enigine out of a statesman it has electronic ignition and has been sitting for bout 1yr or so and hasnt been started in that time....

Now i have got fresh fuel in it replaced the fuel filter and the spark plugs and a freshish :whistling:whistling battery to crank it over have poured a little fuel down the carby....

Crank it over and wont start done this for bout 10 min on and off even some start YA bastard to help but nothing... So check for spark no spark and i will be honest i not to clued up on elec igntion system so i guesing the coil has **** itself as i have taken the lead that goes from the coil to the dizzy cap off and got mate to crank it over and no spark from the coil...

Is it poss the coil or the elec igntion module etc etc etc.. IE not tell the coil to fire. Also are elec igntion coils differnt to points igntion coils. sorry if that sounds stupid....

Any help you guys have would be great sorry for the long post if ya need any more info pleae ask.. just wanna get this thing running tomz hopefully

Cheers Dave

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
are you getting power to the coil, no rats have eaten the wiring to it anywhere?,

if you have power to the coil and no spark its safe to say you need to buy a new coil

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Yeah have checked for power to the coil have power on both sides of the coil with the key in the ign pos and aslo while cranking too. so yeah i am thinking the coil too...

No sign of rat eating any wiring so thats a good thing...

Jo3_Blo

HZ Holden Fanatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
WB 1 Tonner, VS Ute
speaking of the oil and oil filter My dad and I had a problem with our HZ statesman earlier this year. Hadn't started it for about 3 years or more, and so we thought before we started it we'd replace the oil and oil filter.

Anyway, oil light comes on, and gets hot quickly. Ended up being the oil pump wasn't kicking in, so just a simple, yet pain in the bum fix of taking off the pump, packing it up with lube (vaseline will do) and sticking it back on.

Although yours isn't even starting, so maybe it's more something to do with your distributor or maybe starter motor?

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Yeah ok well the oil light does go out kinda and it cranks over nicely.. May pop down to the shop tomz and get a coil for it and try it.....

Process of elimination i guess :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
speaking of the oil and oil filter My dad and I had a problem with our HZ statesman earlier this year. Hadn't started it for about 3 years or more, and so we thought before we started it we'd replace the oil and oil filter.

Anyway, oil light comes on, and gets hot quickly. Ended up being the oil pump wasn't kicking in, so just a simple, yet pain in the bum fix of taking off the pump, packing it up with lube (vaseline will do) and sticking it back on.

Although yours isn't even starting, so maybe it's more something to do with your distributor or maybe starter motor?

yeah ive done that to with a 308, i put a lumpy cam in it, started it and and had no oil pressure, pulled the pump down and packed it with grease and off it went

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
anyone tell me what kinda readings you canhave on the diferent terminals of the coil ie ohms etc etc to see if its shorted/stuffed

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Ok replaced the coil to no avail so i am now thinking more along the lines of the igntion module not triggering the coil...

Doesnt look pretty getting the dizzy out to replace it either but will give it ago..

Anybody got anymore idea to try apart from the module

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Is wiring on the module correct? i suggest you replace your dissy cap and rotor while your go it out

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
all is well the beast is alive and mate is happy all the neighbours are deaf!!!!!!!!

turns out the module was the problem replaced and all good