Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask The Copper

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
who cares about ya licence dude... at that speed be glad your alive ... and not in prison

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
What were you actually charged with? I've seen others that speed be charged with dangerous driving, which would change everything.

There would have been charges of Drive in a Manner Dangerous and Culpable Driving. And that would be the begining of the charge summary!
Both of these are Indictable Offences and the matter goes beyond a fine and he'll get summoned and have to face the courts.

There would of had an instant loss of licence, and thats before it even gets before the courts. I'd say it's gonna be awhile before he's allowed to drive again.

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
does a cop have to see you doing a burnout to get u for it or is hearing it highly expecting it good enuf

You're asking that obviously so you can try and get out of doing burnouts next time? Don't do burnouts to start with.

and also i went throught an orange light and the copper rekoned it was red the male cop said he was giving me the benifit of the doubt coz he couldnt see the light from where he was and hte lady cop came over and didnt wanna comprimise and so i have yet to pay the fine is this worth taking to court of will i just lose i genuinly didnt go throught the red light the reason i didnt make a fuss at the time was the front of my car had a bit of damage and indicator wasnt working.

You've admitted to going through an amber light which is a ticket in itself anyway. Remember what amber means? Stop if it is safe to stop. Believe me, I've given tickets for it.

your 100% right in those situations, but for general driving around and patrol there is no need to perform any illegal actions, those laws are in place for a reason, saftey.

you would expect at least the red and blues flashing if they had to initiate an illegal U turn or drive at 120kmh

I'm sure someone else said on here though that police ARE exempt from certain things so long as it coincides with there job. Communicating on a mobile phone while driving was mentioned as one such exemption.

i'm a little interested to see our resident police officers views on this to be honest.

The exemption where lights/sirens don't have to be used is also there for a reasons. Mostly operational reasons that I won't go into.

Some motorists do some strange things when confronted with a police car with lights and sirens blaring, bears down on them from behind. People panic and pull all sorts of crazy manourvres. It's an ongoing risk assessment left up to us to decide when to use emergency warning signals.

any ideas of how long i might loose my license, 160 in a 60 zone
hit a pole and wrote off my car 4 days after getting my p's ive been told anywhere from 3 months to a year?

It's up to the magistrate. There's the offence of speed/manner dangerous which carries a minimum penalty of six months disqualification. The ticket for doing 45 or more over carries 12 months suspension. Seems like more however being disqualified is different to suspended and if you're caught while disqualified you have more chances of facing prison time.

Was having a convo with somebody at work about this the other day and thought i'd post it on here:

In vic, when you are on your L's, you can drive any car, because you have to have a fully qualified driver sitting next to you to teach you etc etc.

When you get onto your P's (when i got mine atleast) there was the power to weight restriction, which meant that LS1's etc were off limits to P Platers.

My questioning was, why cant, why shouldnt a person on their P's be allowed to drive a vehicle over the power to weight ratio if they have a fully licensed passenger who is willing to supervise their driving?

If you're a learner, the licensed driver sitting next to you is deemed to be 'in charge' of the vehicle being driven. Once the person driving is licensed, they are then deemed to be 'in charge'. A licensed driver can't supervise another licenced driver.

There would have been charges of Drive in a Manner Dangerous and Culpable Driving. And that would be the begining of the charge summary!
Both of these are Indictable Offences and the matter goes beyond a fine and he'll get summoned and have to face the courts.

There would of had an instant loss of licence, and thats before it even gets before the courts. I'd say it's gonna be awhile before he's allowed to drive again.

Manner dangerous isn't an indictable offence. Culpable is (being the equivalent to manslaughter, but with a car) but that's in a case where someone has been killed as a result of ones driving.

I don't think anyone was killed in the incident that's been described.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
Just a couple of comments..

You're asking that obviously so you can try and get out of doing burnouts next time? Don't do burnouts to start with.

Says who? What if he's in a carpark in a nice shiny commodore, when some spanner rips a burnout and pisses off? Who are they going to blame for it, the commodore in the carpark, or the "car that just took off out there and left me here to take the blame"? Not likely I know, but I'm sure it's far from impossible.

You've admitted to going through an amber light which is a ticket in itself anyway. Remember what amber means? Stop if it is safe to stop. Believe me, I've given tickets for it.

Yes, stop if it is safe to stop. In theory, amber lights are timed to be long enough to allow you time to stop from the speed limit without crossing into the intersection. In reality, the traffic authority is not that reliable, at least not up here in QLD. There are some intersections around where I live, 80k roads and the amber only stays for just long enough for you to stop if you hammer the brakes as soon as it changes. Most of the time you'd be right, but occasionally there are intersections that make it a bit difficult to stop quite before the line.

I will also choose to go through an amber when I could stop if there's some ****tard tailgating me in his 4WD too. No way I'm risking being run up the arse because of an amber light and a ****wit driver who wants to run the red light.

Marky4101

VSmarky
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Acclaim
my mate has just had his vehicle impounded for doing a burnout. he has a clean record and the cops have written on their report that he fully co operated throughout the whole process. he just isnt sure whats going to happen when he has to see the magistrate. what are the array of punishments that would typically be handed down for people in the above circumstances?

vs-6

Raptorcharged VS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S pac V6

actully my brother got done and he lost his license striaght up but i never lost mine but they saw my brother do his and they didnt actully see me do mine was jsut very obvious

and i was turning and there was no arrow just a green light so i entered the interection (which i now know your not allowed to do) and then i turned just after the light turned orange thought i wasnt doing anything wrong

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
If its an intersection that has arrows at certain times, then 'no arrows' during low peak times, you are allowed to enter the intersection on green! Obviously the arrow would be red if your not allowed to!

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
If its an intersection that has arrows at certain times, then 'no arrows' during low peak times, you are allowed to enter the intersection on green! Obviously the arrow would be red if your not allowed to!

I nearly got caught out on one of these the other day. There's a lot of intersections like this where I live, and driving out of a shopping centre on sunday I came to an intersection in a 70kmh zone where the lights were obscured from vision by an overhead bridge until they were fairly near. I wanted to turn right, and at first glance I saw that there was a green straight through, and no red right arrow. So I got closer to the intersection, then saw that the only reason there was no red right arrow was because the damn thing was broken. I saw the red arrow on one of the other light poles and managed to stop just before the line, very nearly locked up the brakes on that one.