Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How A Turbo Works

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
actually he can also get done for violating license conditions. then he can expect a defect on the car also cause im sure they will not only throw the book at you but beat your head in with it

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I'm gunna go with the others here and say save the serious mods til you have a bit of experience, and the law allows it. A cammed, shift kitted VN will get you in enough trouble as it is.
Save the money from the turbo and use it to pay the fines you will already be getting

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
i think you just didnt understand my **** explaination.

Na your explanation was about 90% wrong. The wastegate has nothing to do with the blow off valve, the air leaves the turbo before it goes through the intercooler if the car has one and the turbine spins on the exhaust gasses which spins the compressor wheel. The compressor wheel sucks the air in and compresses it before sending it to the intercooler.

Did you read the link i posted earlier?

Leebo

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN
wow soz guys. forget the tubo I'll do other things.

dons vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
just to summaries on how the turbo works.

the exhaust gas from the engine is collected into one and goes through the turbine housing, which spins the turbine wheel.
The turbine wheel is part of a shaft which goes through a bearing cage and on the other end is another wheel, this is called the compressor wheel, it also has a housing which is called the compressor cover.
As the turbine is spinning and the shaft is connected to the compressor it spins that as well which sucks air in one side, compresses it and throws it out the outlet.
this compressed charged air then flows through a set of pipe work into an intercooler if its fitted with one, then through another set of pipe work and into your throttle body.

the bov is best mounted on the cold side of the cooler piping as close to the throttle body as possible so between the intercooler outlet and the throttle body.
that has a diapgram and spring and is vacume controlled to realse the valve and leak the compressed charged air in the system out of the outlet of the bov which can be leaked to atmosphere which goes "ppsshhh" or can be plumbacked back into the intake pipe near the filter.

The waste gate which in most cases is internally built into the exhaust housing or turbine housing simply acts as a boost controller.
the more exhaust gas coming from the egnine the harder that turbine will spin and the more boost it will make, when it reaches the desired boost level the waste gate valve will open and bleed the exhaust gas off out the exhaust pipe before it gets to the turbine so it slows the turbine down and restrics boost.
the waste gate is much like the bov with a diapragm and spring and is vac/boost controlled.
Externally gated turbos are same thing only the waste gate valve isnt built into the turbine housing its a separate unit which will come off a pipe mounted onto the exhaust manifold before the turbo.
they can either run an outlet pipe to atmosphere which is called a screamer pipe or they can be plumbed back into the exhaust system further down the line but before the cat to be legal.

sorry about my spelling im cold and tired and just finished work.

Leebo

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN
Thanks for that dons vs, very thorough. Would i be best making a better foundation for the turbo to go onto when I'm allowed to have it ? a standard VL motor for example wont turbo well as the genuine turbo is low comp instead of high. Would i be best do do up my Buick 3800 and drop that in ready.

I have brought a donor car with a rebuilt engine perhaps I'll get it across into my car first

dons vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
If your on restrictions now then i wouldnt bother yet.
maybe build a v6 on the side which will be able to slap a turbo on when your aloud to.

legally you cant put a vl engine into your vn/vp as your not alloud to put an older enigne into a new car.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
If your on restrictions now then i wouldnt bother yet.
maybe build a v6 on the side which will be able to slap a turbo on when your aloud to.

legally you cant put a vl engine into your vn/vp as your not alloud to put an older enigne into a new car.

yes he can. VN is allowed an RB30. just ask vn_luke. he got his vn registered no problems with an rb30 in it