Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tranny neutralised

vpete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman 5.0 litre
Hi all, really hoping someone can help me with this one!
Travelling along in my VQ stato on cruise control when the gearbox neutralised and the engine redlined until i hit the brake and killed the cruise. i pulled up put it in park then back to drive and off we went until it changed to second and neutralised again. Short story, i only have first and reverse at present.

Any help appreciated as i'm not sure if i should take it to a gearbox shop or the holden dealer? I am sure the box is all computer controlled in that model. It's a 10/92 VQ 5.0L,195i series II Statesman.

Cheers..............................Pete!

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
195i? as far as i know VQs were 165, maybe 185 if they were hsv enhanced? i might be wrong though. and the t700 is not computer controlled either. i think that's the 4l60e or something, which is vr or vs onwards. sounds like you're in for a rebuild/secondhand trans/manual conversion. don't take it to holden, they won't be able to do ****. think about what you want to do, or take it to a trans shop.

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
has it got a leak an ran out of fluid ???

could be sticking kickdown cable ... so try reset that ...

vpete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman 5.0 litre
Thanks for the replies guys. It definately has the 195i badge on it and as far as i know the car is rock stock original. It has no trans leaks and the fluid is to the right level. I managed to talk to a guy at a trans shop and he reckons the tranny is computer controlled too and seems to think that a solenoid may have crapped itself and tripped the system out. I have disconnected the battery to try and reset the computers but nothing has changed with it, still only first and reverse, so he may be right. I spoke to the holden dealer mechanic (through someone that knows the guy) and he said they have the TEC II thingy to read the tranny codes and they should be able to find out what the problem is.

I guess i have to give the Holden dealer a go because the nearest tranny place is an hour and a half away from where i am and home is 8 hours away so i am at their mercy a bit. The Stato is in the next town from here so i can't even get the owners manual to try and find out what box it has in it? I guess i wait until tomorrow and start parting with lots of cash!.........Sigh.

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
the more i think about it, the more certain i am that 195 did not exist in the VQs. i feel 100% confident saying that now. someone's just put the 195 badge on your car ;). the transmission is hydraulically controlled too, the kickdown cable on the throttle body tells it when to shift and i'm pretty sure that's about it. i don't think the computer has anything to do with the process. hence manual/auto memcals being the same (in a v6 anyway, i don't see why the v8 would be different). they won't find any codes on your car because it's not electronically controlled, and no transmission codes are listed for your car.

vpete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman 5.0 litre
OK, thanks for that, i will have a better look when i go over tomorrow. If i find a kickdown cable then someone is telling me porkies??? No codes came up on the dash when it failed so you may be on the money with that one. I sure hope someone is not trying to screw me at Holden. I can't really comment on the badge as that could quite possibly have happened as i have only had the Stato about 12mths after some tool hit me headon and wrote my Calais off........................Pete!

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
no worries, sorry if i came across as an asshole. holden will charge you to do a scan too, and you can do it yourself for free! i'm guessing a VQ fits under the VN-VP side of things.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-your-computer-faults-vn-vp.3937
the guy at the trans shop probably wasn't 100% certain, i guess you can't know everything off the top of your head. tell him it's a t700 and see what he says.

and i know my engine looks really yucky, but see how there's 2 cables on the throttlebody? the one closest to the front of the car is the kickdown. the other one is throttle. so you know what to look for :)
vp_yucky_engine.jpg

vpete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman 5.0 litre
Yep pretty sure mine has that cable, i thought it was the cruise control cable?? ROFL..... I just got onto that fault code stuff and printed it off so i will have a look at it first thing tomorrow & no you didn't come across as an asshole, just the same as anyone else that has had to deal with dealers that repair by replacement! Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Where are your valley covers or whatever thay are called??

Cheers...........................Pete!

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
they are long gone, all they do is trap in heat from your fuel rails ;).

Aren't you on BBQ fuel? :p

Anyway, all that is electronically controlled on a T700 is the lock up convertor. All the shifting is done hydraulically. :thumbsup:

You have a stuffed auto mate....