Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Surviving Police Encounters. What are your rights as a Citizen?

Pete_perth

Pedro
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6
Bear in mind that most states (as far as I know and I am not a legal expert) requre that all citizens must follow any lawful instruction given to them by a Police officer.

Police Officers have very broad powers, so if you start declaring that answering their questions is a violation of your rights, you will find that there are other powers they can call upon. Like others have said, just answer their questions or follow their lawful instructions and you will be done and out of there in 5 minutes. Try to be smart and all they need to justify is that they had reasonable suspicion, you however will have to then spend months defending yourself if they want to make it a full on investigation - up to you.

tmerivale

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn exec
what if the police officer sees you as "the enemy" when you have done nothing wrong? i know it is only a movie and is based in america but has anyone seen the movie crash? VERY powerfull!

just a hypothetical question but what happens if a young lad hooning kills the officers 70 year old mother as he skates through an intersection, then the next time the officer is on duty he sees a young person in a non modified car take off quickly without spinning the wheels with no smoke or without going over the speed limit, he/she just gets to the speed limit quickly? he will try to get the young person for something, its human nature.

my cousin was jumped by a group of asians and smacked with a metal bat, now he doesnt like asians without getting to know them. he is also the same with africans as someone from africa pulled a knife out on him and demanded money. if my cousin was a police officer he would probably still have his prejudice mind before his badge.

people naturally let past experiences influence their future whether it be a non authoritative figure or an officer of the law

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I am not a law breaker, I am a law abiding citizen therefore why do I need to know my rights? Usually the ones that need to know their rights are usually up to their necks in it and looking at ways to get out of trouble, or at least reduce the amount of trouble they are in.

If I was to encounter the Police I would fully cooperate as would most citizens, answer their questions and follow their instructions.

Therefore I pose the questions why do you need to know your rights and are you in or expecting trouble?

Sash, that is very far from the truth. As a photographer I have been approached twice now after taking photos on a beach and in a park. Had I not known my rights, police would have been able to delete every photo on my camera. Had I not known my rights, i would of left the areas I was at, feeling guilty of doing nothing.

Knowing your rights is not a bad thing, nor does it prove you are/are not a law abiding citizen.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
As a photographer I have been approached twice now after taking photos on a beach and in a park.

That is disgusting. The insinuation that you are a paedophile is incomprehensible just because you have a camera.

In this instance sadly, I can see how one would need to know their rights.

Will the madness stop?

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
remember this - dont speak in haste to an officer.

99.99% of times tehse days they are recording every encounter (audio). Think ahead.

If you have a legitamate question, dont be afraid to ask it. It's not illegal to ask why. It's not even illegal to ask why me specifically. Make them say what they are doing. Listen, then if need be say your piece.

It's operfectly fine to get them to justify their actions. But you had better comply with any instructions they have.

tmerivale

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn exec
tsunamix makes an extremely good point. unfortunately in court they do stuff it up a bit, lol.
one of my mates had a trade plate on the back of his car as he was taking somewhere and the boss was behind him. police pulled him over and my mate was speaking with lots of "umm" and "ahhh" sort of talk. his boss is always straight to the point with NO umms or ahhs. in court they were trying to say that it was the boss that was like umm and ahh and all that sort of stuff, so they were getting it wrong but the point that im trying to make is it doesnt matter if they tell you or not, they are audio recording you.

minux, i thought it was illegal to take photos the beach now a days. what did they do, did you have to show the pictures on your camera?

cracker

Reaction score
when dealing with a police officer, your best bet is to shut the **** up.
the less you say the better, dont ever EVER argue, be polite.
and dont admit to anything.

i learnt my lesson questioning a copper once and cost me $250 for "littering" although at 4am on a sunday morning my judgement was slightly impaired...expensive lesson.

faroogoo

SENTINEL
Reaction score
Members Ride
GMH
If your that concerned,just record it all on your phone camera/voice recorder.

bloodyricho

Bloody Richo
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr V6 Equipe (hare) and VE SV6 (tortise)
We are going to search your car ! are you all right with that? You don't have nothing in there ?nothing to hide? you don't have a problem with us searching then?
Stanard Response no i don't have anthing to hide. go ahead.
Wrong u just gave the cop more rights than he had.
correct answer - Got a search warrant or some decent probable cause?

Who's this with you then?
No one special officer!
police are only aloud to speak with the driver!

step out of the vehicle for a minute sir!
ops you left the door open now i can stick my big pig head inside and look around.
Lock it and if you asked why - it is illegal to leave and unattened car unlocked. ha ha oink oink

empty your pockets please sir
note the please! you don't have to - am i under arrest? no then no!

you did this, we know you did this, now tell us why you did this.it will be better that way!
translation - we are pretty sure you did it now we want you to admit it cause we can't really prove it and it would be better for us than trying to prove it with our crap evidence.

WHEN IN DOUBT GET LEGAL AID! DON"T give more than one wor answer be cool calm and polite

sik_dose

Hybrids. Cars for fools.
Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Calais Turbo, VZ SV6
I was on the train on the way to the gym on a public train and two police officers walked up and stood over me and said "we have reason to believe you where involved in a grafiti attack and will need to see the content of your bag" they grabbed my bag and waited till I said they could look in my bag before searching it, finding nothing exept a gym towel and bottle they checked my hands for paint marks which where also absent. They handed my bag back and walked off. My reason for starting this thread is for occasions like this, I dont know my rights under NSW law and could i have refused a search? Same with my car at a traffic stop, can i refuse a search of my car? notice that police always ask you to open the boot or the bonet and only open doors that are un locked.