Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

To buy or not to buy...

BlackVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Hi guys, I need to ask all you pros a question...

I had a VY commodore before... was a beast, sold it when I got married, but now I have the chance to buy another cheap car...

I managed to find a VR commodore, with quite a bit of work done to do, for a pretty low price, but the paint on the body is not in good condition, no rego and needs 4 new tyres, might also have a leak in the power steering or something...

Now my question is, should I get a VR commodore with a Crow cam stage 3,crow chip,raised compression and stuff along those lines? Is that good? I don't really know what it is... so any help here would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

BlackVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
I really don't know what to do about this...

Do I buy the car and fix the body up in time, if I feel like it,

OR

Do I save my money and look for another car when I have more... something with a good engine (probably eon't be as worked on as this) but a better looking body and maybe with rego and stuff?

Trikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SV6 Manual
Really all depends on how much they want for it, how many k's etc

F l a k

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec
If it was me, I'd save up and buy a stock, slightly newer commodore if you are after a daily.

If you are after a bit of a project car it could be alright, I agree with Trikky, but id rather start with something stock and go from there.

If you just want something fun to drive, you might be able to get a VT, or around there, V8 with a manual for not too much.

BlackVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Cool....

Thanks for the advice..

Its a 94 VR with 165,000 on the clock

I was looking to get something just for fun... I walk to the station for my daily commute, so this car would just be for a bit of fun...

The price of this car is about $2000, possibly a little lower, thats why I was so interested, Hard to find a car this cheap anywhere else, no matter what car. Hard to find a VT for around 2k, but I wouldn't mind one, even if it was stock...

Wishing I didn't seem my VY... :(

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
sounds like a good deal. itd cost about 2 grand just to get those things done to an allready stock car. and you could get some tyres from the wreckers pretty cheap and get it rego'd

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Buy the VR and you are buying something that someone else has given up on....then figure how much you are going to spent to get it registered and on the road and then you still have a car that's worth...about 2K. Cars are a dime a dozen out there. Buy the best you can afford....forget the cams etc.

BlackVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Thanks.

I was looking to get a V8 next year or something, something relatively cheap, just for fun..

Then this car came up with its V6 engine but with all this work done to it... dude said it was faster than a V8... so got me thinking...