Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cairns and surrounding area's

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Not every town has a road leading west.

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
to the guys saying your stupid if you stay, get real, where could we possibly go? can't go south, can't go north, can't fly because the airports are closed. Official statments advise staying in your home if it is structurally sound and not in range of the storm surge.

For days, possibly even weeks they have been warning about this cyclone and is possible (now a reality) severity. The Cairns and Townsville airports only closed at 10am this morning, and last I heard Mackay airport is still operating. Up until around 2-3 hours ago you still had a window of time to drive away. Even if you only made it a few hours away from the main centre of the storm. Gotta be better than sitting through the guts of it. If people have waited until now to try and get away, well....more fool them. Should done something when you had the chance.

I know I personally would have gotten away the minute they mentioned even a chance it would get anywhere near a catagory 5 cyclone. And if I were living in a cyclone prone area, I know I'd be somewhat prepared for this kind of event to happen at some stage. Or at least have a rough plan of what I'd do if something like this hit.

Even if you don't have the resources to leave, people should have at least got to evacuation centres. They might not fair any better than the average home in terms of damage, but they have been seleceted to be evactuation centres due to the strenght of the buildings. And I sure as hell know I'd at least prefer to be in one of the evacuation centres than bailed up in my toilet with a freaking mattress.....

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Exactly, only people in the country with no excuse for evacuating a cyclone is Tassie.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Your comment on knowing for 'weeks' about the cyclone is null and void.
These things are as unpredictable as anything and they can, will and have turned direction at the last minute.
No use setting up camp somewhere else and it comes and knocks you on your ass.

Reading this thread, its easy to tell those of which this cyclone is going to effect either through loved ones in the way or actually being in the way yourself.

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
Your comment on knowing for 'weeks' about the cyclone is null and void.
These things are as unpredictable as anything and they can, will and have turned direction at the last minute.
No use setting up camp somewhere else and it comes and knocks you on your ass.

Reading this thread, its easy to tell those of which this cyclone is going to effect either through loved ones in the way or actually being in the way yourself.

Well actually, no it's not null and void. I remember during the week of the recent floods in Brisbane, around the time the waters peaked there were reports of a possibility of a cyclone developing in the coming weeks with the possibility of being incredibly severe. This report has turned out to be the one and only Cyclone Yasi that you are now all bracing for.

And as for "effecting loved ones or myself" well no, I directly aren't going to be effect, however my sister-in-law in Cairns I spoke to this morning who told me she was staying, I told her exactly what I said here. I told her she was f'ing stupid for saying and she's putting herself in massive danger. My other sister-in-law who lives in Townsville had the brains to pack her and her partner up the best they could last night and drive to stay with family in Brisbane. Smart girl that one....

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
YASI.jpg

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Well actually, no it's not null and void. I remember during the week of the recent floods in Brisbane, around the time the waters peaked there were reports of a possibility of a cyclone developing in the coming weeks with the possibility of being incredibly severe. This report has turned out to be the one and only Cyclone Yasi that you are now all bracing for.

"A cyclone is coming"
What are you supposed to do, move to brisbane? lol
As I said earlier, I would have left, but you cannot leave a week before it is due to hit 'somewhere'...
Might work if you were due to go on holidays or something.
And as for Tasmanians being the only ones not able to evacuate, not true.
We all know Victorians are proof that Tasmanians can swim.

I'm off to clean my yard up.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
So all day yesterday, all night last night and all day today up until about 2pm wasn't enough time to get out of it's path? LOL!!!! Riiiiiiiiight. I had no idea so many people were either so complaisant, so stupid or both...