Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Expressions of Interest: Digital PIN code ignition system

yogi_b

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
Oh I understand. The problem with that is then since it had no feed back how to detect if the car has stalled to start the timer. This system will hold the ignition and acc circuit closed until it looses power... The only way to restart it without re entering the pin would be to remove the starter time out, but that means that if you accidentally hit or bump the button youre going to chew up your starter... Its kinda a catch 22 :-\

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

yogi_b

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
Just curious, this does replace the starter and ignition circuit?

If you were to stall the car, do you need to rekey the code before pressing the starter button?

Just trying to think outsode the usual stuff and would hate someone to be in a bad place in front of an oncoming truck.

I like keypad alarms as even with a key, they can't be started. I had one in my last turbo Subaru

We've had a look at this issue and come up with somewhat of a compromise. If the car stalls but is still "ON" i.e. the unit still has power you will have to hit the star or hash (haven't decided yet) key on the keypad and this will re-enable the started button for another 5 seconds allowing you to start the car and go again. whilst still giving you protection again accidently firing your starter.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Sounds like a very good compromise.

Do you think the issue with hitting the start button is much of an issue? I know I have not re started mine using a key by mistake.

What protection do factory produced cars with a starter button have to prevent this? Maybe nothing?.

If the starter is recessed like most factory builds, it would be an intentional decision to press it surely?

yogi_b

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
Do you think the issue with hitting the start button is much of an issue?
Yes and no. My concern was that, since you can choose where you want to mount the button, for example in the center console, if you drop something. I.E. you mobile, onto the starter or brush past it or anything it will spin the starter. Its more of a fix against accidently doing it. You can't bump your key into turning due to the location and design, the spring prevents it from turning to start, my intention was to mimic that digitally. Just want to take chance out of the equation as much as possible.

The other side of it is if someone mounts it poorly and/or this happens regularly and the starter/flywheel gets damaged and people start saying: you didn't design a fail safe, you're liable to fix it etc. I want to try and consider all likely scenenarios and requirements for a system like this to make it as robust and viable as possible =] I appreciate the out of the box ideas =]

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
What, the keypad? Why would you?

That's how i understood this post....

The "black box" can be located anywhere in the car, you could have it in your boot if you had enough wire as for the keypad would be connected via a ribbon cable that can be cut to size, so likewise, you can locate it virtually anywhere you want.

yogi_b

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
Alright let me clarify some things. The keypad, which you use to punch in the code etc is connected via a Cat 6 cable to a control module (Black Box) that contains the electronics etc. This box connects to your existing ignition system. Now, if someone was so inclined they could remove the stock ignition loom from the back of the barrel, extend the wiring to the boot or any other non-factory location that can be concealed, put the control module in the boot and run the keypad to the driver. This would mean that if someone was to break into your car and attempt to hot wire it etc. they wouldn't be able to find any cables as they've all been run to a concealed location.

I simply used the boot as a convenient example

That clarify it?