Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Social welfare

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Drives me nuts that I pay for the people who can't be bothered to work.

While the system is great in theory (you can survive if your made redundant etc til you find a job) too many people exploit it.

Besides why work part time when you'll get just as much to do nothing. but if your a student, studying to better yourself your not entitled to squat.

What are your thoughts?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
lol, watch the commies come flying into this :D

I personally think there should be a levy on wages that is banked as part of your own wages, say, a percentage like super. When you become unemployed the government uses a figure of your money and matches it weekly. When it runs out you are cut off. This means you have to bank money before you can claim unemployment. If you are sacked etc then you can run a deficit which is paid back when employed but benefits will only be paid for a short period.
This country has too many job snobs that think a job is beneath them so they dont do it...yet they do not realise being unemployed is like the lowest of low...I mean who seriously wants to be seen going into centrelink?

Obviously these benefits would alter based on illness etc but same theory applies, you pay back 50% of what you take tax free.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
but if your a student, studying to better yourself your not entitled to squat.

Well if you are payed Youth Allowance you get quite a bit of money to study. The problem is that "higher income" families are simply cut off after a certain income and receive no help what so ever.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
to add to what minux is saying. which does sound fair.

from memory and learnings the USA system (not sure if now) used o be very similar.
the amount of time you worked for say 1 year in full time. was the amount of time you could have on welfare and be paid for it (unemployed).
i do not know how it works, but it does mean you have to work to atleast get welfare.

sure some people need to be on welfare and others dont.
its all a balancing act and unless it can be made 100% perfect there will always be winners and losers in the system.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Try being a single tradesman in ya 40s all I get is to pay taxes and fines.
If we give them nothing they will be robbing us.
In terms of Australia's budget not that much of it is spent on welfare.
What pisses me of mostly is those that have never paid 1 cent of taxes getting more than an a pensioner who paid taxes for 40+ years, I don't think the pension should be means tested. Most of us will be old 1 day .

Huntington

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
I am going to try not to come back to this thread so I dont end up rambling and getting myself frustrated over something I cant change, but needless to say I am very much in favor of a "didn't earn it, can't have it" approach.

If you earnt the right to welfare through hard work and employment, it's yours for a period.
Same would apply to earning it through pain and suffering for people who are injured or unable to work, and even carers of people who need assistance in life, carers work especially hard and don't always receive a benefit.

If you sit on the couch and watch TV all day, stiff ****, no welfare, go get a job.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
In terms of Australia's budget not that much of it is spent on welfare.

:rofl:

Are you serious?

Spending Summary 2011 federal budget

$121,907,000,000 - Social Security and Welfare
$96,797,000,000 - General Government Services
$59,858,000,000 - Health
$29,870,000,000 - Education
$21,277,000,000 - Defence
$14,843,000,000 - Industry and Workforce
$13,221,000,000 - Infrastructure, Transport and Energy
$8,044,000,000 - Community Services and Culture

If that is not much I would hate to see what is a lot!!

SM1D3Y

aka Drew
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais L67
Interesting points made. To go through life just scraping by, not being able to travel or buy the thing you want ?? Hmm I'd prefer to work and earn the money to live properly. Having said that their are parts of our society that are grossly over paid, 10 million dollar golden handshakes for CEO's doesn't seem well earned to me. Just my thoughts.......

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
^^^^
We didn`t do so well one year boss gave himself $100000 payrise.
Makes u want to work harder after staff level has dropped by 6