Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden’s new VF Commodore out and about

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Why would Holden need to match the Ford's power? They have consistently outsold Ford by two to one for months, so the higher output of Ford's in line six obviously isn't hurting Holden sales. Buyers are no longer looking for increasing power with each new model - they are more concerned with economy and refinement. Holden's most recent engineering efforts have been concentrating on both of those factors. Sometimes, power increases as a consequence of engineering refinement, but only in small increments.

The VE is starting to age. Six years without major redesign is a long time and the Series 2 facelift only freshened the design for a couple of years at best. Despite Reaper's assertions, I'm convinced the wheel arches on the front will be toned down, without compromising the basic Zeta platform. The whole front design of the car can be far better streamlined than it is at present.

My money is on new sheetmetal forward of the windscreen, new rear bumper and tail-lights, new wheels, colours and major redesign of the interior dash and doortrims. Engineering will be limited to further refinement of engines and transmissions but I doubt that any new engine will be added to the range, apart from a diesel, if at all. The new LPG sixes will hold the fort for the time being, and Holden will undertake a campaign to educate the masses of the availability of a six that has the economy (in dollar terms, not mileage) of a four.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Why would Holden need to match the Ford's power? They have consistently outsold Ford by two to one for months, so the higher output of Ford's in line six obviously isn't hurting Holden sales. Buyers are no longer looking for increasing power with each new model - they are more concerned with economy and refinement. Holden's most recent engineering efforts have been concentrating on both of those factors. Sometimes, power increases as a consequence of engineering refinement, but only in small increments.

The VE is starting to age. Six years without major redesign is a long time and the Series 2 facelift only freshened the design for a couple of years at best. Despite Reaper's assertions, I'm convinced the wheel arches on the front will be toned down, without compromising the basic Zeta platform. The whole front design of the car can be far better streamlined than it is at present.

My money is on new sheetmetal forward of the windscreen, new rear bumper and tail-lights, new wheels, colours and major redesign of the interior dash and doortrims. Engineering will be limited to further refinement of engines and transmissions but I doubt that any new engine will be added to the range, apart from a diesel, if at all. The new LPG sixes will hold the fort for the time being, and Holden will undertake a campaign to educate the masses of the availability of a six that has the economy (in dollar terms, not mileage) of a four.

Whilst I agree with most of your post I'll respond to the wheel arch question. Part of the problem here is also one of the strengths of the Zeta platform. The car has a relatively wide track and the front axle line has been pushed way forward. This means you either wind up with an enormous body on this chassis (don't think that will happen), a very nose heavy car that looks like a stylistic pig to hide the front flares (not going to happen for any number of reasons) or they dramatically reduce the front track.

You may see a restyling of the guards that some people will like and others don't but one way or another there is no getting away from the big wheel arches whilst still using this platform.

Reaper

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
If people like myself who have always loved and owned Holden's say the FG turbo is better. How many more could there be out there who jump ship?. They keep selling off V8's which guzzle in massive numbers. I'm just a Holden man asking for the one car i can't buy, a turbo V6 in a Holden product that eats less fuel than their v8's but keeps up with them. We V6 guys want the power also:D.

I'm almost sick of it's bum now, seen it day after day. No wonder HSV went to such extraordinary lengths to change it.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
I won't settle for anything short of a v6 turbo from Holden. They need to match the fg turbo but better it on fuel consumption, something that gets out of control with it on local driving.. But will they ever get the balls to match the v8?. Make a 280kw 500nm turbo commodore v6, and you might get back the ones that left but still love their holdens.
I'd love to see something along those lines, but I don't think it will happen. Probably more of a contestant for the fords ecoboost engine as the 3lt V6 engine in the omega's and berlina are pretty fail.

And honestly, with all the V6 hate and "get a V8" comments I see online and in real life I really doubt a boosted V6 would sell. Aussies perf-heads love big cubed V8's.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
I'd love to see something along those lines, but I don't think it will happen. Probably more of a contestant for the fords ecoboost engine as the 3lt V6 engine in the omega's and berlina are pretty fail.
The 4 cylinder one?. God hope not. When Ford change to the V6 Turbo its said to be pretty good although comparing that to the current turbo is anyone's guess.

And honestly, with all the V6 hate and "get a V8" comments I see online and in real life I really doubt a boosted V6 would sell. Aussies perf-heads love big cubed V8's.
We can only wish:D. Tell you its lucky i feel at home in a Holden or they would really lose me.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Whilst I agree with most of your post I'll respond to the wheel arch question. Part of the problem here is also one of the strengths of the Zeta platform. The car has a relatively wide track and the front axle line has been pushed way forward. This means you either wind up with an enormous body on this chassis (don't think that will happen), a very nose heavy car that looks like a stylistic pig to hide the front flares (not going to happen for any number of reasons) or they dramatically reduce the front track.

You may see a restyling of the guards that some people will like and others don't but one way or another there is no getting away from the big wheel arches whilst still using this platform.

Reaper

Reap

I don't get your point that the excessive flare of the guards is an essential requirement to accommodate the Zeta platform. The Camaro doesn't have anything like that flaring yet it runs the same basic platform.

I believe there is plenty of capacity to tone down the flares without detriment to the basic chassis dimensions.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Its also the last chance for there to be a new monaro (v8 rwd) in the traditional sense but i feel if they used the name on some little fwd coupe there would be allot of unhappy punters.