Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wheel nut cover theft

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
No Im not, because of the rotational direction of the wheels, the wheel nuts on the passengers side of the car tend to loosen, that's why some cars (very few) have left hand threaded studs on the passengers side of the car.

lol even if it were true, which it isnt, I'll tell you why you're wrong.

The caps on the left rotate towards the front of the car therefore the pressure or friction applied to them by the air they travel through would be applied to the left hand side of the cap in an upward motion. This would in fact tighten the cap. For centrifugal force to loosen a nut or cap it would have to be loose in the first place.

Nuts and caps will only come loose if some moron didnt do them up to the specified torque, left or right hand side is irrelevent. Ive seen nuts come loose on both sides of the car due to being under tensioned.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
It not to do with centrifulgal force, or air drag.

Its the orbital motion like the action of a Hula Hoop. As a Hula Hoop orbits around a person's waist it also rotates, with this rotational motion being caused by the difference in the diameter of the two "round" parts.

"As the car moves forward, a different portion of the wheel rim takes the weight and relative movement occurs between wheel centre, locking cap and hub. The effect of this is to tighten the locking cap .... The clearances involved are of course, minute but the locking action is completely positive and entirely automatic."

Source, it explains self tightening knockoffs, but the same theory applys. I may have been wrong as to what side the left handed thread went on, but I dont really care about this rather pointless argument anyway.

As I said before, I have my opinion, you have yours. Can we not learn to live with it?

My first post was purely just a suggestion as to where his nuts covers may have gone.

Jjfur87

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SV6
Either way, if someone has stolen them, that's pretty low. Where in Canberra were they stolen from?

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Some trucks have different thread directions on either side..... just saying

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
It not to do with centrifulgal force, or air drag.

Its the orbital motion like the action of a Hula Hoop. As a Hula Hoop orbits around a person's waist it also rotates, with this rotational motion being caused by the difference in the diameter of the two "round" parts.

"As the car moves forward, a different portion of the wheel rim takes the weight and relative movement occurs between wheel centre, locking cap and hub. The effect of this is to tighten the locking cap .... The clearances involved are of course, minute but the locking action is completely positive and entirely automatic."

Source, it explains self tightening knockoffs, but the same theory applys. I may have been wrong as to what side the left handed thread went on, but I dont really care about this rather pointless argument anyway.

As I said before, I have my opinion, you have yours. Can we not learn to live with it?

My first post was purely just a suggestion as to where his nuts covers may have gone.

So are you saying dont use your rims as hula hoops or your nuts will fall off?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp

blasta1

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE
i laught so hard at this thread my nuts almost fell off

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
lol I hope you're joking.

On my RC car I ALWAYS spin the nuts off the left hand side so there is some truth to the theory. I'm not saying this is exactly what has happened in the case but I feel it isn't as far fetched as you think.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Hey guys,

Word of warning. Seems someone in Canberra has taken a liking to the threaded wheel nut covers for the lock nuts on stock wheels. I've had 2 stolen in the last 2 months. Keep an eye out. They're cheap to replace ($1.70 each retail from holden) but it's a pain.

Maybe ve for lyf moved to Canberra..?