Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Insurance + Modifications

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
G'day,

So I've just ordered an ultra low king spring and monroe GT sport strut/shock package and it's on it's way.

My current insurer doesn't allow my car to be lowered more than 2 inches, I've spoken to JUSTCAR insurance and they accept pretty much any modification as long as it is legal.

My car came standard with 17" alloys and I'm looking at a set of 20-22" rims. I always see ridiculously low, expensive cars on this site that would need insurance.

A tint is also in the process of being booked, although that will be the darkest legal so I'm not particularly worried about that.

So my questions would be:

How does one get away with a set of aftermarket rims?
Can an engineer's certificate be had for a set of big rims so that it's legal?
What insurance company would you recommend for a car that's going to be modified, especially for a male driver under the age of 24?
What mods have you 'gotten away' with in the past?

All help is appreciated, thanks.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Just cars would probably be the go but give all the main guys a go. Whoever you go with, they are the best ones to ask about covering Mods. I think just cars cover all legal mods providing they are on your policy but you get charged extra per mod.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Just cars would probably be the go but give all the main guys a go. Whoever you go with, they are the best ones to ask about covering Mods. I think just cars cover all legal mods providing they are on your policy but you get charged extra per mod.

Yeah I've spoken with AAMI and JUSTCAR so far, along with my current insurer (Commonwealth Bank), I really don't mind that my mods aren't covered, I'm more worried about being able to make a claim should I be involved in an accident.

If anyone has information on getting a engineer's certificate for bigger rims that would be great, currently in Victoria it's illegal to have rims larger than 2" more than what your car came out with.

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
I cant speak for every claim Just Car have ever put through.

But it took them 3months to write my Supra off, terrible company.
- No one could give me a straight answer.
- I was on hold for over 1hr almost everytime i called
- No choice of repairer
- Wouldnt cover towing fees after i towed it to a repairer the told me to get a quote from (prior to lodgin a claim, i was told it would be easier)
- My Assessor was incredibly lazy, never called back, and never spoke with my repairers to check progress.
- Then once i got my payout approved, i was told that THE WHOLE TOTAL LOSS SECTION was on holidays.

Yes they covered all mods, Yes i eventually got my payout. But all the stuffing around in the middle (3months) it wasnt worth the cheap premium.

Also bear in mind i live in QLD.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
I cant speak for every claim Just Car have ever put through.

But it took them 3months to write my Supra off, terrible company.
- No one could give me a straight answer.
- I was on hold for over 1hr almost everytime i called
- No choice of repairer
- Wouldnt cover towing fees after i towed it to a repairer the told me to get a quote from (prior to lodgin a claim, i was told it would be easier)
- My Assessor was incredibly lazy, never called back, and never spoke with my repairers to check progress.
- Then once i got my payout approved, i was told that THE WHOLE TOTAL LOSS SECTION was on holidays.

Yes they covered all mods, Yes i eventually got my payout. But all the stuffing around in the middle (3months) it wasnt worth the cheap premium.

Also bear in mind i live in QLD.

Wow that sucks, don't think I'll be insuring my car with them!

And their premiums aren't exactly cheap, I was quote $2,500 with an excess of $1000.

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Wow that sucks, don't think I'll be insuring my car with them!

And their premiums aren't exactly cheap, I was quote $2,500 with an excess of $1000.

i was on $1988 premium with a $2000 excess

Mine was higher becasue the i had an additional Import Vehicle Excess of $1000

They work their excess of a base rate of $400 then $600 age then a vehicle one if applicable.

In summary though, steer clear.

calais06

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais MY06
I'm 19, and am with NRMA full comp for a 2006 ve v6 calais. They cover everything if its legal and you don't have to tell them what mods you have done. Worked out pretty cheap too. $1400 with the highest excess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dijm8

What You Looking At
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS LS3
wow you guys are getting jipped...im 22 have an awesome insane car, vz ss ls3 yada yada yada... more mods then you guys can dream of...im with shannons paying $1000 with an agreed value of 40k

also have my daily driver in that price too..so thats 2 cars thats full comp... and they know about my driving history (i lost it a couple yrs back for "hoon-ing"

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
wow you guys are getting jipped...im 22 have an awesome insane car, vz ss ls3 yada yada yada... more mods then you guys can dream of...im with shannons paying $1000 with an agreed value of 40k

also have my daily driver in that price too..so thats 2 cars thats full comp... and they know about my driving history (i lost it a couple yrs back for "hoon-ing"

I might look at them next time i renew.