Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Goodbye everyone - goodbye forums - goodbye (crappy) holden

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
Have to agree

I had an ex Detectives car (acclaim) with 90 000 when I got it. I sold it with just over 190 000 kays on it, and only reason I did that was to "upgrade| to a V8 Statesman.

Cost me a couple of hundred bucks to change the dash panels where holes had been drilled, but after that no one knew the diff.

Only issues I had were the standard Alloytec issues that are experiences both here and by the other 2 VZ's my family have owned since brand new - coolant cap packing it in, water pump leaking, the hubs got done which I suspect wasnt helped by the VE rims, then again my VX had the same issue as has one of the familys Zeds, and 1 replacement battery. Actually the other cars have also both copped ignition coil issues and ones had the thermostat done.

there was a whine from the trans but no idea what the go was with that and it never said die. We shift kitted one out of a mates car when he went manual, and killed it, so I had to have replacement chucked in.

Car did a solid days track day work at Oran Park on almost a 40 degree day, did 2 track days at Eastern Creek GP circuit in various temps, did a driver training day and a handful of skidpan days and copped a hiding during cruises. Never said die!

I also bought it from a Holden Dealership, not at auction. Just sayin ... just because the original owner in the book was NSW Police didn't automatically mean it was plagued with problems.

Flame all you want, I'm just speaking from my experience here.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
I don't know what cars people have been driving to say that Holden's aren't built as well as they used to be? My 06' E1 GTS is a one of the very first built (build number 0007) with 200,000 klm's on the clock and apart from the diff and timing chain tensioner it's been great a matter of it still drives like new, I know my old VH SLE would of had a rebuild by the time it hit those klm's.
- Only gets oil changes every 20,000 klm's (I use good quality oil's and filters though)
- Hasn't been to a dealer in close to 100,000 klm's
- Used as a family car (interior still look like new)
And how many large rear wheel drive six/eight cylinder cars can you buy for $36,000 now unless you buy a SUV which I wouldn't?
It cost me $50 to do 500 klm's so over all you can keep your other makes and models until they stop making a rear wheel drive sedan anyway!

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Going Korean huh? The biggest piece of **** Holdens ie Epica, Captiva and Barina are all from yep you guessed it, Korea. (Im a Holden mechanic by the way, rebadged Korean cars give us 10 times more grief than real Holdens)

My current car is a VZ that I bought new and apart from the normal serviceable items all Ive replaced over approx 7 years is two water pumps and rebuilt the diff because the bearings were noisy. The car has never broken down on me.

Cars currently at over 180,000kms and still drives like a champion. I have no desire to get rid of it.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I don't know what cars people have been driving to say that Holden's aren't built as well as they used to be? My 06' E1 GTS is a one of the very first built (build number 0007) with 200,000 klm's on the clock and apart from the diff and timing chain tensioner it's been great a matter of it still drives like new, I know my old VH SLE would of had a rebuild by the time it hit those klm's.
- Only gets oil changes every 20,000 klm's (I use good quality oil's and filters though)
- Hasn't been to a dealer in close to 100,000 klm's
- Used as a family car (interior still look like new)
And how many large rear wheel drive six/eight cylinder cars can you buy for $36,000 now unless you buy a SUV which I wouldn't?
It cost me $50 to do 500 klm's so over all you can keep your other makes and models until they stop making a rear wheel drive sedan anyway!

20k oil changes? I do mine every 5k haha Even the best oils degrade over time and 20k seems a bit long. That being said youve had no problems so far so each to their own!

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Going Korean huh? The biggest piece of **** Holdens ie Epica, Captiva and Barina are all from yep you guessed it, Korea. (Im a Holden mechanic by the way, rebadged Korean cars give us 10 times more grief than real Holdens)

My current car is a VZ that I bought new and apart from the normal serviceable items all Ive replaced over approx 7 years is two water pumps and rebuilt the diff because the bearings were noisy. The car has never broken down on me.

Cars currently at over 180,000kms and still drives like a champion. I have no desire to get rid of it.

And my 7 year old Korean Kia has had nothing but scheduled services since the day I bought it new. My diff didnt need rebuilding, my water pump is still just fine. In 160k its had a set of brake pads and a few tyres. Oil gets changed when its serviced I assume lol.. I know I dont do it..

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
And my 7 year old Korean Kia has had nothing but scheduled services since the day I bought it new. My diff didnt need rebuilding, my water pump is still just fine. In 160k its had a set of brake pads and a few tyres. Oil gets changed when its serviced I assume lol.. I know I dont do it..

Difference being mine produces a shitload more power and torque which gets used on a regular basis. Im also betting the Kia drives like a 20 year old car as ive driven quite a few of them

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Whatever you do...don't mention the war.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Difference being mine produces a shitload more power and torque which gets used on a regular basis. Im also betting the Kia drives like a 20 year old car as ive driven quite a few of them

I'll take that bet, it drives beautifully. It gets a good caning too.. not sure what power and torque have to do with comparing build quality though.

I own Commodores too, and driven quite a few of them lol You havent owned a Kia I assume?

I just disagree with your 'all Korean cars are ****' attitude thats all. Its just not true.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
When the power and torque are above what the car was designed for it has a lot to do with it.

Havent owned a Kia and never will, I get my info from a mate that works at Kia. He also would never buy one and he knows more about them than you or I.

It my experience it is my opinion that korean cars are ****, hows that then?

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS equip, 4.2L stroker on its way.
I'll take that bet, it drives beautifully. It gets a good caning too.. not sure what power and torque have to do with comparing build quality though.

I own Commodores too, and driven quite a few of them lol You havent owned a Kia I assume?

I just disagree with your 'all Korean cars are ****' attitude thats all. Its just not true.

I recently test drove a brand new Kia, one of the small $13990 hatch back ones. Can't remember the model.

Now I don't know about Kia's more expensive models but that thing was the most horrible car I've ever driven. And the build quality was FAR worse than my vs commodore. Interior panels felt like wiz bin plastic, gearbox felt like it was made out of spaghetti.

Power wise, pathetic. Even for a 1.6(which should be okay around town) I had to put my foot flat to the floor and drop a gear to even barely pull up a moderate hill at the speed limit(80kph). And taking it onto the freeway and attempting to merge with such little power was a complete joke.

I'd never buy a Kia from that experience.

However Hyundai's build quality is rather good from the ones I have looks at.

/end rant.