Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Almost lost it on the highway tonight.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
I've had countless times where rocks and stones have fallen off trucks, tumbled down the road and hit my car because they haven't secured their load/cleaned their truck tray and or overloaded!

Last edited:

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I recently lost a 6x8 hire trailer at 100km/h. My brother had to catch a flight on a sunday afternoon and he'd planned to put his stuff in storage in the morning before he left. It took him hours to find a hire trailer because he was stupid and didn't pre book one and then discovered his tow bar couldn't attach properly. He came to my place in a rush thinking his gonna miss his flight and asked for help. We quickly put the towbar back on my car (had been in the shed for 2 years) and in our mad rush neither of us bolted the towbar in, she was just sitting in there loosely.

So we've gone and picked up the trailer, drove about 3k's and sitting on 100km/h when the trailer flies off, gets airborne, and crashes down an embankment and gets buried on its side deep in a bunch of bushes and stuck in mud. It somehow managed to bisect 2 cars in the lane besides us. How it missed them both I still don't know. Took us an hour to drag it out, bolted it all up (properly this time), and finished the job before taking it back undamaged and retrieving our deposit :)

I8.A4.RE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1 - LANCER MY10 - VE UTE
:rofl2: ^^^ Sorry mate. I'm crying from laughter because I've had the same ^^^

wylie27

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim L67
was driving up the pacific highway a few years ago following a ute with some surf boards strapped to it. Well the strap broke and thr surfboards went up and over the road.. missed my car and they cleaned up the cars behind us. the ute just drove on and didnt notice he has lost his load.

Another time on the M2 i was following a small truck with a load of wood strapped to the cross bar.. The wood did the same thing shot up in the air, I saw it and floored it wood went over my car and bounced on the road behind me..

Luke V8

AKA Luke!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SSV
My last car + runaway truck =

nthjd.jpg

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Yea... You could say I have...

Total damage bill was around $15,000

#### Troy, did you **** your dacks or what? Did the truck drivers insurance pay?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Three incidents in my time, but none where my car was damaged.

Way back in the mid 60's, my folks took us for a caravan holiday to Port Macquarie. A hired van was hooked up behind the ol' HR and off we went.

Got to Taree, and in those days, you had to drive through the town. We had come down the hill past Purfleet and just crossed the bridge over the Manning. We approached the lights which were red and the old man hit the picks. Next thing, "bang!" followed by a strange feeling as the van decided to push us forward a bit. The welding on the tow bar had given way and the goose-neck, ball and van dropped free just as we slowed down for the lights. Wouldn't like to think what might have happended if it had been a few k's earlier.

Second incident. Following a mate in his old EK when his bonnet suddenly flies open. He's all over the place trying to slow down and remember what was in front of him just before it happened. No damage apart from a rooted bonnet.

Third one. F3 at the Hawkesbury a couple of years ago. My son was driving his VZ home with me as passenger. Late at night and pitch black. We ran over a bloody mattress - obviously flown off some dill's trailer or roof-rack and left there.

A mattress at 110 kph is nothing to run into. They might be nice and soft to lay on but at that speed, it might as well be a brick wall. Only damage was to the lower valance panel fortunately as the car seems to have passed over it after the wheels struck.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
#### Troy, did you **** your dacks or what? Did the truck drivers insurance pay?

I just sat there for a minute wondering what the hell just happened. I called my workmate (who was 500 meters up the road the other way) and said 'man, you better turn around and grab the tools outta my ute.. It's fcked'. I then called the smash repairer I used to use and said

'remember when I said I was thinking of putting SS gaurds in my ute and you said to wait incase I had a front ender so it wouldn't cost as much?'
'Yeah...'
'Might be time, I just did a bit of damage'
'How bad?'
'Send the tow truck'

I still can't help but think what would have happened of one of the bars went through the window, which could quite easily have happened. I'd either be dead or have a much more deformed face than what I have now.

The truckies insurance paid but it took nearly 12 months to get money for damaged tools and such.