Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rebuild myself or pro?!?

Vkaddict

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
Try this link.. How to use Flexigauge Clear instructions halfway down the page.

Cheers for that!

Cleaning up the head today! Just getting the rest of the head gasket off and a general clean. Depending on how flat it is on the deck I might skip the head work as I can't seem to find anyone who can give it a decent clean up.

Have a package to collect from the post office which I have sent the fiancé to pick up n hopefully it's the springs n valves ect!

Might even get a few pics for yas :)

Vkaddict

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
LOL. why bother doing anything at all then?

Well I am without a car now as the other one got defected for pollution. Got pulled over right as I left home n the old Vk was still blowing a bit of smoke. No way it will pass so I need to put this engine replacement in the fast lane. I hate busses! More so just people on the busses!

So I need the car going asap n I can't find anyone to do the head work before christmas! One place had replacement heads but like stage 3 porting for 1400 bucks I didn't see the point.

Second reason is iv been reading through the "how to hotrod and rebuild a v8" book. I think I'm pretty keen to move onto that project once iv got the daily back on the road.

Anyways here is a couple pics of the head cleanup from yesterday.

0527F2E7-AFE1-4BAE-898C-48A3F17EF8C7-67-0000000148BB6C1F.jpg

143F1336-4BF5-4BB1-83CA-EA94D2986330-67-00000001444036E1.jpg

It's almost cleaned up. Just hafta hit it with the metho n degreaser to clean it all up. I pit the straight edge on it yesterday too n it's dead flat still.

Anyone have any good ways to clean out the rust from the water galleries?

And one last shot of the parts that arrived yesterday. Two sets as I'm rebuilding my brothers too.

1CF33310-A122-4DE7-BAF9-F2C243377FD9-67-0000000BD8E3E85E.jpg

Cheers for the advice guys.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
advice: those exhaust seats are fked. dont rush it. if you cant get it done till after xmas, then wait. sorry, but doing anything else is a complete waste of time.

failing that, change over engines are about 2.5K

edit* just noticed you bought lapping paste... really??? those seats are beyond lapping mate.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
please post a pic of the exhaust valve surface that went in #1 port. ill bet my left nut its recessed. what you are doing is skipping the most important stage of a rebuild, and if you decide to revisit later, you need to strip the whole lot back again.

but whatever, do what you want.

Vkaddict

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
advice: those exhaust seats are fked. dont rush it. if you cant get it done till after xmas, then wait. sorry, but doing anything else is a complete waste of time.

failing that, change over engines are about 2.5K

edit* just noticed you bought lapping paste... really??? those seats are beyond lapping mate.

So the exhaust seats are no good?!? What do they do to fix that? Il have a search for the valve now. I brought the valve grinding paste to put the new valves in.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Lol, maaaaate!!! that crater at around 12 oclock in the pic of the seat means she is fffffffarked. you need a head guy to cut the seats flat again. seats are meant to be perfectly flat and mirror finish on both the valve and the seat so they contact perfectly and seal perfectly.. obviously as soon as its done a couple of kms it goes dark, but there shouldnt be any pits, and yours has them ALL over.

the valve doesnt look as bad as i thought it would, but its still naffed.

this is a used "good condition" valve seat (ignore the writing, i stole image off google)
valve%20seat%20and%20ridge.jpg

Vkaddict

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
Lol, maaaaate!!! that crater at around 12 oclock in the pic of the seat means she is fffffffarked. you need a head guy to cut the seats flat again. seats are meant to be perfectly flat and mirror finish on both the valve and the seat so they contact perfectly and seal perfectly.. obviously as soon as its done a couple of kms it goes dark, but there shouldnt be any pits, and yours has them ALL over.

the valve doesnt look as bad as i thought it would, but its still naffed.

this is a used "good condition" valve seat (ignore the writing, i stole image off google)
valve%20seat%20and%20ridge.jpg

Ok cheers for the advice. Il buy a crappy lol car till I can get the head done.

I actuallything it might be a bit of carbon built up on the valve seat at 12 o'clock. Il have another look tomorrow after work. I hadn't finished cleaning them up when I took the photo. They were filthy dirty covered in thick buildup of that corbon crap.

Cheers again dude.

Vkaddict

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
Ok got onto Tony today and dropped off the head. He was impressed with the Condition and estimated less then 100,000kms on the head. He Is gonna clean it up, take a bit off the deck, clean up the seats which weren't actually too bad. I should be able to pick it up tomorrow.

And heading back home for the weekend so will be picking up the block.

Everything is happening again. :)