Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ping/Knock

fatboyvk

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 vr commodore
unless your mower is tuned to run 98 it wont run better

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
well it does, it wont stall out with 98 in thick long grass like it does when using 91. when i keep ontop of the lawns there is no difference, just when there is a high load on the blades.........but thanks for your opinions guys, it means sooooo much to me that you all care so much about my mower :). but you all have missed the point of the mower comment.....91ron fuel is rubbish.

your opinions on what fuel i use in my mower isnt helping the op get to the bottom of his problems now is it?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
So you believe the marketing garb then, good for you...

As to the OP's issue, you haven't mentioned whether you have done any modifications to the car at all. Have you?

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas

look at it another way, do you run your car on the mineral oil holden uses or do you run a synthetic oil? i personally run a synthetic for the same reason as i use 98ron fuel, its the best option availible to me.

doenst matter if its a 120y or a r35 id still run it on 98, but thats just me

Edit: sarcasm now removed as it was confusing too many people.................
Part of me does believe that the people that make a car and the engine and stuff do know a little about their product.

Apologies to Mexicans......especially those Mexicans from Mexico.

This has nothing to with CHOOSING to run 98 but addressing OP problem of his car pings madly on fuel it was made to run on...and higher octane fuel does not seem to help.

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
FYI, "Holden" don't make any engines for their cars anymore, they are all GM engines. In fact, the only car made by "Holden" in Australia is the VE. Everything is either imported or assembled here. Even the VE has imported parts. There is no truly "Australian made" car anymore. In fact, I don't think there ever has been. Every "Australian" car is based on an overseas model.

bennyrocks_79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
So you believe the marketing garb then, good for you...

As to the OP's issue, you haven't mentioned whether you have done any modifications to the car at all. Have you?

No mods exactly the way i bought it.

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
FYI, "Holden" don't make any engines for their cars anymore, they are all GM engines. In fact, the only car made by "Holden" in Australia is the VE. Everything is either imported or assembled here. Even the VE has imported parts. There is no truly "Australian made" car anymore. In fact, I don't think there ever has been. Every "Australian" car is based on an overseas model.

ummmmm...the devil is in the detail

your thinking scares me because if I accept it then no Holden has ever had a "Holden" engine as GM has been on the name plaque for a long long time. And quite probably NO holden has ever been made here in 100% entirety. So that reads like we have never made a Holden. A place I do not want to go. If the engine is made here then please let them be Holden engines.

A question for the crowd....are Cruze panels stamped in oz?

Last edited:

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
No mods exactly the way i bought it.

then I would want a pretty good technical reason why they would need you to fill with 98 as part of their fault finding requirements.......when the car was made to run without any problems on 91.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
unless your mower is tuned to run 98 it wont run better

As he has stated several times it burns cleaner so yes it will run better due to lower carbon deposits within the engine.

I run my mower, edger and generator on 98 and each and every one of them starts first time every time even after being locked away for extended periods of time. My mates mower was always a pig to start so I told him to run a tank of 98 and guess what it starts first time now. Guess the marketing has some truth to it.

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
As he has stated several times it burns cleaner so yes it will run better due to lower carbon deposits within the engine.

I run my mower, edger and generator on 98 and each and every one of them starts first time every time even after being locked away for extended periods of time. My mates mower was always a pig to start so I told him to run a tank of 98 and guess what it starts first time now. Guess the marketing has some truth to it.

anyhoo, back to helping the OP.....RiCeY in your opinion as Silver Certified, if this Holden workshop can get this car to stop pinging on 98....but it still pings on 91 (as previously described by OP), is this car fixed?