Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bent simmons rim, easily fixable?

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Has anyone had experience with bent simmons rims before? My mate thinks I should just try knocking it back with a piece of wood and hammer. If it is going to be replaced it cant hurt to try right?

best advice is grab your hammer and piece of wood and belt your mate over the head with it....

Even if you could bash the buckle out with a piece of wood (unlikely) you'd never get it true, it would be impossible to balance. And more importantly, professional wheel repairers heat up the alloy to remove the bends in order to avoid metal fatigue and ensure the wheel is returned to a safe standard. If you just bash it out, the outer rim is likely to crack/break at the worst possible time. We are talking major safety issue here, don't fck with it!

Plenty of good advice already given in this thread, if a professional wheel repairer isn't prepared to fix it, then what chance do you have of repairing it ? Replace it - someone has offered to give you the details of a supplier

Last edited:

msiys

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Series II VS Berlina
best advice is grab your hammer and piece of wood and belt your mate over the head with it....

LOLZ

Even if you could bash the buckle out with a piece of wood (unlikely) you'd never get it true, it would be impossible to balance. And more importantly, professional wheel repairers heat up the alloy to remove the bends in order to avoid metal fatigue and ensure the wheel is returned to a safe standard. If you just bash it out, the outer rim is likely to crack/break at the worst possible time. We are talking major safety issue here, don't fck with it!

Ahhhh cool, thanks for explaining that mate. Def wont touch it now. So how much would it cost to have new bolts and new outer rim replaced on this wheel in your opinion?

msiys

Reaction score
Members Ride
ebay isnt much help nor is gumtree, looks like I will have to wait until one comes up or pay for repair.

msiys

Reaction score
Members Ride
advanced alloy repair wont fix it. They say it needs to be replaced the outer rim and the bolts

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
simmons barrels and lips are known for cracking, thats why.

have you tried contacting retro wheels in sydney for a replacement lip?

msiys

Reaction score
Members Ride
whitehorse in melbs quoted 180, and a furthur 100 by a place 3 doors down for holes so 280 and the tooling isn't exactly the same - lip may be slightly diff shape. I am assuming retro in Sydney would have the right tooling as it occupies the former simmons factory of same address? Dam these simmons aint cheap! Also its going to look like a new rim compared to the other 3 wheels I have.

bloody stooped council and there wack gutters!

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
whitehorse in melbs quoted 180, and a furthur 100 by a place 3 doors down for holes so 280 and the tooling isn't exactly the same - lip may be slightly diff shape. I am assuming retro in Sydney would have the right tooling as it occupies the former simmons factory of same address? Dam these simmons aint cheap! Also its going to look like a new rim compared to the other 3 wheels I have.

bloody stooped council and there wack gutters!

any 3 piece wheel is going to cost you money. try owning a set of simmons that are rare as hens teeth!!

msiys

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just measured my simmons and they are 17 x 9.5's, any idea how muc retro whill charge for outer lip for 1 x 17x9.5?
Havent rang them yet as its the holiday season.

Measured from left of rim lip straight to the right of rim lip = 17 inches
Measured from outer of wheel lip straight to the outer lip of opposing side = 9.5 inches

Funny thing is on the tyre wall it says this tyre should only be put on 16 inch rim and not a 16.5. Does this mean beurepairs fitted the incorrect tyres?

They are 225/50/r16's

Also would it be better to put my spare tyre currently on the front to the rear or keep it as is.

Last edited:

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Your rims are not 17x9.5