Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tesla Model S

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Love this car! Was in Norway for Christmas and they're everywhere over there. Easily competes with Mercedes and BMW for luxury and quality and when it comes to performance, well, it can beat a Corvette!

Range is very good too. There's also recharge stations in every car park I saw in Europe.

2013 Tesla Model S P85 vs 2014 Chevrolet Corvette C7 Z51 Drag Racing 1/4 Mile Heads up - YouTube

That model is $90,000 in the USA. Sadly it'll be well over $200,000 when it lands here this year. Australia is so far behind. The sooner we have no junky local car industry to "protect" the better off we'll be.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Hey Raj, you are on a popular Holden Commodore forum calling our cars junky, what's the point of your post to other members? That we may in years to come find ourselves in an economic situation where these hand-built electric cars will be 1/10th the cost and charging stations will be ubiquitous in this wide brown land as in a micro country in the EU?
Ridiculous to think there would be more charge stations for these exotica than say the switch to e85 at petrol stations.

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
Why will prices go down when there is no local car industry? Tariff rates are already down to 5% for supplies not on an FTA with Australia, lower for those that are. and I don't see the Tariff dropping any further. Car companies will charge what the market will pay. I don't see that changeing just because we stop making cars here.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Hey Raj, you are on a popular Holden Commodore forum calling our cars junky, what's the point of your post to other members? That we may in years to come find ourselves in an economic situation where these hand-built electric cars will be 1/10th the cost and charging stations will be ubiquitous in this wide brown land as in a micro country in the EU?
Ridiculous to think there would be more charge stations for these exotica than say the switch to e85 at petrol stations.

Because they are junky when compared with overseas cars. But that doesn't mean they're bad. They're great value for money - hence I DRIVE ONE!!!! Can't justify an AMGE63 so am more than satisfied with the Gen-F Senator, a bargain at less than half the price of the AMG. And yes, I drove both!

The point of my post is to share just how good 100% electric cars have the potential to be. In fact, how good some of them currently are. It may be a Holden Commodore forum, but everyone here would be a car enthusiast which means they are be able to appreciate all good things in the automotive industry. Hell, from what I can see a lot of members here don't even drive Holdens!

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
Mate there such a thing as "choose your audience" I think calling the local car industry junky on a Commodore forum is just down right rude. Its also just a naive thing to say, as it completely depends on your term of reference. You yourself admit your Senator is better value for money, so on a value proposition, the E63 is junky. In my business we have previously done a lot of work at the Elizabeth manufacturing plant, not sure you have ever been in there but since the Eisenmann upgrade a few years back it is state of the art in vehicle manufacturing. There are many reasons why the local car manufacturing is in decay, having just driven the latest gen F GTS, I would say the industry being junky isn't one of them. Actually while my daily was having some work done on it I was given a top of the range Audi for a couple of weeks, and to be perfectly honest I thought it was awful in just about every respect, being made overseas is certainly no guarantee of "quality".

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Fair enough. It is all subjective after all. I certainly didn't mean any offence by it. After all, I have one and I wasn't offended referring to my own car as Aussie junk when talking to the Norwegians while I was there. Was all light hearted.

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
Having said all that, the Tesla is an awesome car, the great advantage of an electric performance car is and electric engine has 100% torque from zero rpm, thats why the acceleration figures for it are so great. The down side is range, but with a performance car people aren't so hung up about that, after all who cares how many km's a Lambo does to a tank? Why Holden gave up on the electric car has me beat, imagine if they hadn't and HSV were able to grab one and tweak it for performance not efficiency...

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Because they are junky when compared with overseas cars.
What criteria are you using in the comparison? Probably not high on most member's lists I suspect.
But that doesn't mean they're bad. They're great value for money - hence I DRIVE ONE!!!! Can't justify an AMGE63 so am more than satisfied with the Gen-F Senator, a bargain at less than half the price of the AMG. And yes, I drove both!
Good for you, I am pleased you are fortunate enough in this economy to afford a plethora of some of the most expensive cars on the market, yet still choose to look for the cheapest bargain. Some Australians who could otherwise afford marked-up and/or subsidised imported junk buy our local product not just because it happens to be less expensive at the time, but because they support Australian industry, jobs, and take pride in a sense of national achievement. I suppose it comes from a sense of being a part of the country you are born in, as if I were residing in say India right now I wouldn't give one flying f%*k about the impact of my car choice on the locals or the local economy, just how much I could rape the situation for my personal benefit.
The point of my post is to share just how good 100% electric cars have the potential to be. In fact, how good some of them currently are. It may be a Holden Commodore forum, but everyone here would be a car enthusiast which means they are be able to appreciate all good things in the automotive industry. Hell, from what I can see a lot of members here don't even drive Holdens!
Sure, most members have had / currently own cars other than Holden, but the fact we participate in a community which is Commodore-centric actually speaks volumes about owning a Holden that perhaps you are missing... indeed I fear most Australia will miss over coming years. That's my point, don't expect to naively declare our cars are junk compared to overseas without establishing one rational criterion, thanks.
Regarding the Tesla S: Trap speeds tell the story. The instant torque of the Tesla will beat A LOT of cars off the line. But then, the Vette catches up. Although impressive, hardly a game changer in 2014.
Weighs 10% more than a sportwagon, less than a second quicker 0-100k & 0-400m, uses 10kw x 6-8 hours every day to charge. To give some perspective that's twice what a typical six person household uses. At 25¢ per kWh off-peak that's $25/day, so using electricity over petrol is not about saving money, will actually cost $2,250 more on your power bill.
Plus apart from the wank value, the investment amortized over the serviceable life is outrageous - a relatively unproven, expensive niche vehicle the warranty is hardly adequate - 80,000k, and game is over at 160,000k when your battery is not covered, needs replacing.
Bottom line is that at more than 500% the retail price of a VF V8, imagining the potential of exotic electric cars to replace similarly-priced renewable-fuelled equivalents in the real world here in Australia in 2014... the comparison is drawing an extremely long bow, ridiculous in fact. Hell, the deposit to get a place in the queue for one of these frivolous fancy cars in Australian is more than the total cost of a similarly specced Commodore.
Glad you like our cars, I hope you keep buying Australian product on other criteria than price.
BTW calling your own car junk is bad karma!

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Wow! There is absolutely no need to be racist!

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Having said all that, the Tesla is an awesome car, the great advantage of an electric performance car is and electric engine has 100% torque from zero rpm, thats why the acceleration figures for it are so great. The down side is range, but with a performance car people aren't so hung up about that, after all who cares how many km's a Lambo does to a tank? Why Holden gave up on the electric car has me beat, imagine if they hadn't and HSV were able to grab one and tweak it for performance not efficiency...

Exactly! I personally think electric technology has a great future. In fact Porsche had an electric car on the roads back in the 1800s! AMAZING!

I think the abundance of fossil fuel and ease of its application, combined with the money involved are the only reasons they're still the number one form of energy on the planet. And "peak oil" won't be much of a challenge for us (humans) at all.