Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Windows 10

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I'm going to ask the sort of question that a dumbass asks occasionally.

WTF is wrong with older OS's that MS feels they have to "update" them so frequently?

I'm running W7 and it does everything I ask without any hiccups. My mate bought a new PC recently with W8 installed and it drove me nuts even trying to work it out. I gave up. (I'm definitely no computer nerd. Quite the opposite). Dunno what happened to W9 - did it sink before being released?

I can still vividly recall the disaster called Vista. What a **** of a system that was and it was supposed to be the duck's guts. Didn't take MS long to realise it was a dud and bring out the next OS, which was much better. (W7?)

So, what does W10 do that is so wonderful?

will67

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6 sedan
Yeah I didn't like it at first Infact I deleted it and returned to 7
Then decided to give it another shot.
And am starting to see the improvement.
So yeah I like it.
But you have to manually update all the drivers .

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
and when you don['t update you get a reminder 2 times a day ......

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
My new laptop has W8. Can you install W7 on it?
Old one I`m still using and installed W10 for a trial and when back to W7.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
My new laptop has W8. Can you install W7 on it?
Old one I`m still using and installed W10 for a trial and when back to W7.

Some you can. It depends on what the model came out with.

On a friends laptop, it came with 8 on it. But I went on the manufacturers website and looked to see if it had any Windows 7 drivers, it did. So I bought a new SSD (much faster computer all round), a Windows 7 key, and manually installed all the drivers. Computer works perfectly.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
So I just upgraded to Windows 10 last night. Was going to do a clean install, but CBF kicked in and I just did the upgrade.

So its a bit faster, thats good. And apart from that (and keeping in mind its only been a day), I'm not really finding it much different. Slightly different layout in Explorer, but easy to work with. Start menu is different, but growing on me quite a bit. Everything else is pretty.....well, clean. Simple but effective.

I think I will stay on 10.

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
Alright, so I have a W7 laptop at home that's fairly decent and I want to keep for a while yet, but the product key is rubbed back and I don't have the key written down.
From what I'm reading, if I upgrade to W10 and then wipe my drive and reinstall W10, W10 will recognise that the motherboard has had W10 on it and re-activate the licence without having to worry about product keys.

Is this correct and going to work or am I going to have to start with a fresh licence?

(Info from here: http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-can-be-clean-installed-during-and-after-free-upgrade )

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
the product key is stored on the CPU not motherboard.. W8 / W10 ... so in theory yes it should work, but what about other software that you have on there? Office etc..

Cheapest and most effective way to be to use something like Recover keys (kind of what magicjellybean was for XP etc) - the free trial will only give part keys .... but the single license is $35.00

or [cough]pirate a new one[/cough]

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
the product key is stored on the CPU not motherboard.. W8 / W10 ... so in theory yes it should work, but what about other software that you have on there? Office etc..

Cheapest and most effective way to be to use something like Recover keys (kind of what magicjellybean was for XP etc) - the free trial will only give part keys .... but the single license is $35.00

or [cough]pirate a new one[/cough]

Office is the only thing that I would lose but I get it free from uni for now anyway. Maybe I will backup my entire SSD to my old HDD and then install W10 and then do a wipe and reinstall. That way I can always go back to W7 and all my program data if I need to (second HDD has docs data).