Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

S2 SV6 replacing Purge Valve Solenoid

jbray1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for a VE
So I've been reading a few things here and there about ticking coming from my S2 SV6 and before I do what Holden want, and replace the engine, I figure there's no harm in trying a few things.
So I want to try replace the EVAP Purge Solenoid, found this part on ebay; Genuine Holden VE Commodore Calais SV6 Evap Purge Solenoid Valve V6 3 6L GM NEW | eBay

And other than that, everything I read says it's very easy.... However I can't find anything that would strictly explain what part to look for exactly to replace it.
Yes I could give it to a professional, but I'm also trying to learn as I go lol. Any tips or if you know of a video or step by step somewhere I can use that would be awesome.
Thinking I'm going to order this week the solenoid.

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
On a non SIDI engine, it's located at the back of the intake manifold, on the passenger side. Once you remove the engine cover, you can't miss it.

Here are some instructions on how you're supposed to remove the pipes, which is a pain (as you'll see, I never managed to remove mine properly and ended up breaking the old nozzle, but that's an easy fix if you have a piece of fuel hose and clips)

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/evap-solenoid-replacement.244785

Good luck!

jbray1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for a VE
On a non SIDI engine, it's located at the back of the intake manifold, on the passenger side. Once you remove the engine cover, you can't miss it.

Here are some instructions on how you're supposed to remove the pipes, which is a pain (as you'll see, I never managed to remove mine properly and ended up breaking the old nozzle, but that's an easy fix if you have a piece of fuel hose and clips)

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/evap-solenoid-replacement.244785

Good luck!

Yeah I am wanting to order one, but I want to pull mine off first and do the "blow test" before ordering... But if it's too difficult, I might order one first just incase I break something rofl.

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Yeah I am wanting to order one, but I want to pull mine off first and do the "blow test" before ordering... But if it's too difficult, I might order one first just incase I break something rofl.

That would be a wise decision!

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
Easy as job to do mate, did the wifes VZ recently.
Be sure tho.. remove your fuel pump fuse then start the car till it dies.
Otherwise your going to get a face full of petrol

Last edited:

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Easy as job to do mate, did the wifes VZ recently.
Be sure tho.. remove your fuel pump fuse then start the car till it dies.
Otherwise your going to get a face full of petrol

Not really. Worse case scenario, you would get some residual petrol fumes when disconnecting it.
There's no (liquid) petrol going through the evap solenoid.

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
Yes it is the same thing, my bad but its the idle control solenoid that doesn't have fuel in it, the purge valve does get fuel it it carried through the vapours
fuel pressure in the line can release the vapours enough to give you a good face full which is why i mention to release the pressure
better safe than sorry especially if the valve is stuck closed

jbray1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for a VE
Okay, so I pulled it off, no worries at all and did the "blow test" and no air coming through at all, at least didn't seem like it. So must be up for a new engine :(
Unless anyone has anything else I can try before that?