Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brembo Brake Upgrade - COVID 19 Edition

Thorby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Black Edition Wagon
It won't be a short story.....

Good Day All,

As you may have read on the back of Ron's Brembo tale, myself and my mate decided we would embark on a similar adventure to see where we would end up. After reading both of Ron's R & D posts, we were super confident that this was going to be a walk in the park, and we were armed with everything we needed. Man were we no prepared for what we were about to encounter with this install, and how things and COVID 19 would affect our plans.

So the journey started after Ron did his conversion, and we were going back and forward for me to purchase his old police brake set up. Did my research and did the numbers and decided the price we agreed on was a bloody good deal. Anyway, two days after agreeing to a price, my working hours were cut dramatically due to the Rona. I didn't want to stuff him round and hold them for me, so I let them go and reflected what could have been. My loss but hey money was tight.

My mate decides he wants to do the conversion on his car, so I got in contact with Salvage Auto Parts and Dean to put me on his waiting list. I found him very responsive to emails, and he put me " In His Book " should a set of brakes become available. I touched base with him every couple of weeks via messenger to let him know I was still interested, then I received an email that a set had become available. Bit the bullet and purchased them, a few days later they arrive in Sydney.

I touched base with Ron’s engineer and received all the required information, as we were about to book it in with my mechanic, he was diagnosed positive with COVID 19. He had been drinking at a Western Sydney pub when an outbreak occurred, so he was out of the game. Snafu.

Anyway, fast forward new mechanic and all is ready to go, mate gets made redundant and can no longer afford to go through with the conversion. I had a small win with a tax return, so I purchased the lot and went ahead with the gear going into my car. All done now and it has been a few days on the road, couple of things to note below:-

Positives-
Salvage Auto parts were very easy to deal with, once I started emailing Dean he did everything I asked for and supplied all the paperwork and photos that I requested. This made the process very easy when the engineer signed this off, and I cant thank him enough for all his help. If you need anything lads get in touch with him, his freight rates are very competitive.

Ron’s engineer was also excellent in all dealings I had with him, very patient and responsive to emails. Once he came out to inspect the vehicle he walked me through the process, I had my certificate of compliance in my hands about four hours after the inspection. Again if you are considering this conversion in Sydney, he is your man.

Negatives-
After all was said and done, the jury is still out on the Remsa pads. Pedal feel was a bit doughy after the installation, I had the discs skimmed and pads bedded properly but the pedal feel was not there. They have now been on the car for three days, only this morning on the drive to work did the pedal feel a little better but I am still no convinced.

Was this conversion worth it? I would say yes and I do like the way they look as I have the same wheels as Ron. Thanks again to Ron and everyone else here who did the hard yards and research to make this possible. Now the challenge is to see if these pads come good in the next few days otherwise they are going to be changed, and yes I do drive it like I am supposed to so definitely getting a decent amount of heat into them each drive.

Last edited:

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Na , save ya finga's
EDIT: DOH!! With the thread title change my post makes zero sense , any way good to see you got it all sorted

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Thorby tell us about, you know you want to :cool:

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I used Remsa pads on my VZ Clubsport for a couple of track days and found them to be excellent. When I bedded (is that a word?) them in though, I literally had them smoking while I went through the process. They performed very well. I had an instructor at Philip Island drive me around the track initially, and he even commented how good the brakes were.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
It won't be a short story.....

Good Day All,

As you may have read on the back of Ron's Brembo tale, myself and my mate decided we would embark on a similar adventure to see where we would end up. After reading both of Ron's R & D posts, we were super confident that this was going to be a walk in the park, and we were armed with everything we needed. Man were we no prepared for what we were about to encounter with this install, and how things and COVID 19 would affect our plans.

So the journey started after Ron did his conversion, and we were going back and forward for me to purchase his old police brake set up. Did my research and did the numbers and decided the price we agreed on was a bloody good deal. Anyway, two days after agreeing to a price, my working hours were cut dramatically due to the Rona. I didn't want to stuff him round and hold them for me, so I let them go and reflected what could have been. My loss but hey money was tight.

My mate decides he wants to do the conversion on his car, so I got in contact with Salvage Auto Parts and Dean to put me on his waiting list. I found him very responsive to emails, and he put me " In His Book " should a set of brakes become available. I touched base with him every couple of weeks via messenger to let him know I was still interested, then I received an email that a set had become available. Bit the bullet and purchased them, a few days later they arrive in Sydney.

I touched base with Ron’s engineer and received all the required information, as we were about to book it in with my mechanic, he was diagnosed positive with COVID 19. He had been drinking at a Western Sydney pub when an outbreak occurred, so he was out of the game. Snafu.

Anyway, fast forward new mechanic and all is ready to go, mate gets made redundant and can no longer afford to go through with the conversion. I had a small win with a tax return, so I purchased the lot and went ahead with the gear going into my car. All done now and it has been a few days on the road, couple of things to note below:-

Positives-
Salvage Auto parts were very easy to deal with, once I started emailing Dean he did everything I asked for and supplied all the paperwork and photos that I requested. This made the process very easy when the engineer signed this off, and I cant thank him enough for all his help. If you need anything lads get in touch with him, his freight rates are very competitive.

Ron’s engineer was also excellent in all dealings I had with him, very patient and responsive to emails. Once he came out to inspect the vehicle he walked me through the process, I had my certificate of compliance in my hands about four hours after the inspection. Again if you are considering this conversion in Sydney, he is your man.

Negatives-
After all was said and done, the jury is still out on the Remsa pads. Pedal feel was a bit doughy after the installation, I had the discs skimmed and pads bedded properly but the pedal feel was not there. They have now been on the car for three days, only this morning on the drive to work did the pedal feel a little better but I am still no convinced.

Was this conversion worth it? I would say yes and I do like the way they look as I have the same wheels as Ron. Thanks again to Ron and everyone else here who did the hard yards and research to make this possible. Now the challenge is to see if these pads come good in the next few days otherwise they are going to be changed, and yes I do drive it like I am supposed to so definitely getting a decent amount of heat into them each drive.

That's definitely unexpected outcome !!

I am glad it's all done now.

Did you have to replace your BMC ?

Now... we need some pictures to see this ;)

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I used Remsa pads on my VZ Clubsport for a couple of track days and found them to be excellent. When I bedded (is that a word?) them in though, I literally had them smoking while I went through the process. They performed very well. I had an instructor at Philip Island drive me around the track initially, and he even commented how good the brakes were.

Remsa are fine with some heat in them, but for everyday driving i find them very average on my car. I have a set of OEM pads but want to pair them with new rotors, so Remsa will stay for a while.

In saying that... I put a set of Remsa pads on 2015 Mazda 3 replacing the OEM ceramic and they feel soooo much better than OEM !

Thorby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Black Edition Wagon
That's definitely unexpected outcome !!

I am glad it's all done now.

Did you have to replace your BMC ?

Now... we need some pictures to see this ;)
Yes mate replaced the BMC, the engineer checked the bigger one went in, also photographed the old one to prove we did that properly. He was very thorough right down to checking that new caliper bolts were installed. Photographed everything and was all over it. Few pics from the donor and other assorted photographic evidence.

Attachments

• image013.jpg
    image013.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 160
  • image014.jpg
    image014.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 193
  • Three.jpg
    Three.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 163
  • VF 4.jpg
    VF 4.jpg