Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Series 2 Redline Holden service damage

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

If that's the case I either use Nextzett Felgenreiniger Colortec Wheel Cleaner or Gyeon Q2M IRON Wheel Cleaner and they both work a treat without ever having causing any noticeable damage.

I used Nextzett for years but now have a preference for the Gyeon and not because I think it does a better job but because the smell of the Nextzett is very offensive.

I've had ceramic coating on some of my callipers for over ten years and they still look brand new.

Both of those products are great, both are also suitable for decontaminating ferrous products from paint, prior to buffing, polishing and recoating.

Bowdens Wheely Clean formula has been changed due to the original causing paint problems.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
They may have sprayed them with some type of solvent, Brake Clean or an acetone base solvent if they spilled brake fluid over the calipers bleeding the brakes. You'll find some serious drongos working in dealership workshops unfortunately.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
They may have sprayed them with some type of solvent, Brake Clean or an acetone base solvent if they spilled brake fluid over the calipers bleeding the brakes. You'll find some serious drongos working in dealership workshops unfortunately.
Yep, let’s clean brake fluid (a paint stripping solvent) with brake cleaner or acetone (both also paint stripping solvents) :eek:

Sound about right for a dealer workshop :p

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Yep, let’s clean brake fluid (a paint stripping solvent) with brake cleaner or acetone (both also paint stripping solvents)
And water cleans off brake fluid the best and doesn't strip the paint. I pour water over painted calipers if I spill brake fluid, it's a no brainer to keep solvents away from any painted or plastic surface. The other thing these clowns do, is bang the wheels on painted calipers and chip them as they remove and re-fit the wheels. We've got the rattle gun next with the wrong size socket to damage your wheels, wonderful!

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
And water cleans off brake fluid the best and doesn't strip the paint. I pour water over painted calipers if I spill brake fluid, it's a no brainer to keep solvents away from any painted or plastic surface. The other thing these clowns do, is bang the wheels on painted calipers and chip them as they remove and re-fit the wheels. We've got the rattle gun next with the wrong size socket to damage your wheels, wonderful!

Hot water is even better when cleaning spilt hydraulic fluid.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Any update on this levitating brake fluid yet?

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Sutton’s Chullora repainted my calipers after damage to the clear coat after I specifically requested them not to change the brake fluid, but they did, “because it was due”.
I also request the dealer to not wash my cars when they service. I don’t want them using their harsh chemical what strip everything very quickly for a nice clean car finish.

They always vacuum it nicely though.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
It wouldn't be the chemicals (or lack of) I'd worry about, it would be the 2 month old sponge that just finished a filthy 4x4's wheels. On a similar note, washing my winscreen at a servo with most likely someones mud squeegee left me with about a million micro scratches. Didn't feel any abrasion at the time, but when the afternoon sun hit it, I was not happy. It's bad enough for a replacement I've been told.

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline & VE SS Wagon
It wouldn't be the chemicals (or lack of) I'd worry about, it would be the 2 month old sponge that just finished a filthy 4x4's wheels. On a similar note, washing my windscreen at a servo with most likely someone's mud squeegee left me with about a million micro scratches. Didn't feel any abrasion at the time, but when the afternoon sun hit it, I was not happy. It's bad enough for a replacement I've been told.

On a related note re windscreen cleaning, I wanted to share this tip. If you ever get hard water marks, I've found that (this is going to sound crazy) regular old steel wool with glass cleaner works fantastic at removing them. I tried all sorts of things people recommended, ranging from a lemon cut in half (they say the acid in the lemon breaks down the calcium deposits.......yeah nah, you just look like a fool and it does bugger all) Ordered a product call Bar Keepers Friend from USA, this sort of worked, but not what I was after, and took a ridiculous amount of effort for little result. BKF does work well on you exhaust tips tho!

Finally I found a YT video where the dude used steel wool. Didn't really want to take to my car with steel wool, so i first tried it out on my shower glass. My fears of scratching the glass were soon alleviated, there's literally no way your gonna do that, and after my shower glass came up like brand new with minimal effort, I felt confident to attack the outside glass in on my car.

It comes up like brand new, and you can do a small section, then run your hand down it, then run your hand down a spot you haven't done yet, and actually feel the difference.

Steel wool with glass cleaner, then wipe over with a clean dry microfibre cloth.