Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another Exhaust Thread

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Who would you guys recommend in south west sydney?
Was going to go with Sureflo at Ingleburn but after looking at some of their pics on their website, I'm not too impressed with the welding job
There used to be killer exhaust shop in Sydney called Lambros in Darlinghurst, they did a set of custom headers for us years ago with show quality TIG welding, awesome fabrication work!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Being in Sydney, you won't get a Manta, you'll get the rebranded DPE.

If you want note and not loud, then go for the system with the largest rear mufflers and a muffler in the front.

DrewPeacock76

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF II SSV Redline

If you want note and not loud, then go for the system with the largest rear mufflers and a muffler in the front.
Thanks mate

Do you think a 3" is overkill for a stock satndard LS3?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Nope, not at all. If you like the sound of a 3", go for it.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon

I've got one of the older xforce 3" with a muffler after the cats. Sounds much better to my ears than an x pipe

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Thanks mate

Do you think a 3" is overkill for a stock satndard LS3?
A 3" is crazy for an engine that doesn't make 600hp, it's V8 Supercar sizing. Realistically I think the 3" was more intended for supercharged applications and the "bigger must be better" thing kicked in! The exhaust "bible" is like this: Use the smallest headers and exhaust that doesn't rob the engine of top end horsepower to optimise air speed and scavenging. Having said that, power losses with smaller headers and exhausts can be bad designs and not necessarily the pipe diameter. Different 2.5" exhaust/muffler designs can make more power than others of the same pipe diameter. Cats can distort results too, 3" system makes more power than a 2.5" because the 3" cats are less restrictive.

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If you want to talk about pure power figures, there is little difference on a dyno between 2 1/2" and 3". The 3" will have a slightly longer power curve, it won't really affect much else.

3" exhausts make more power because they are less restrictive overall at WOT.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Unless you are competitively racing, or going for dyno numbers you header and exhaust choice of 4"1, tri-y, dual 2.5/3 or even single 3.5/4.0" is mute, or really, the opposite of mute, because it's really all about the sound, and legalities

I'm currently swapping out some Pacemaker tri-y headers for some 1 7/8 ceramic coated mild steel 4:1, because in my opinion, the mild steel long tube 4:1 sound better than the mild steel 1 5/8 tri-y

My system will consists of 1 7/8 long tube 4:1 with a 3" flange reduced to the current dual 200 cell 2.5" front pipes merged into a 3.5", with a large resonator in the mid pipe, and a large offset muffler at the rear

I'm also not a fan of stainless headers, or exhausts, unless they are 321

I find that I don't like the "tone" that cheap 304 stainless exhaust makes

I also like the cheap ability of chopping and changing a mild steel exhaust, if you start with medium sized resonators and mufflers it costs bugger all to swap them out for larger or smaller to "tune" the sound to your preference

My neighbour recently spent around $4k on a full stainless headers and 3" exhaust on his VF SS which now drones like 10 droney things and wirh the windows up is verging on psychological damage (his missus has said "fix it"), and no, that $4k didn't even cover ceramic coating the headers

If there's only 1 thing you take from my ramblings, get some good ceramic coating done to whatever style and size headers you get prior to installation

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
Probably off the shelf X-Force or Manta. Still deciding if I go with a 2.5" or 3" system
russo will fit xforce and hurricane, they are at smeaton grange.
if you want dpe version of manta probably look at jdr in picton.

DrewPeacock76

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF II SSV Redline
russo will fit xforce and hurricane, they are at smeaton grange.
if you want dpe version of manta probably look at jdr in picton.

Cheers mate

Whats the name of the one at Smeaton Grange?