Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wireless CarPlay / android auto

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
so you say plug and play, but ebay says wiring, so how much wiring is needed, do you need to remove the dash ect to install this?

the module the op posted is nothing new and there are many variants of them around, they are basically a "man in the middle" module that sits between the factory screen and the factory base unit.
they require the factory unit to be set to bluetooth audio for the sound and you switch between the factory system and the added module using a steering wheel button sequence or button sequence on the headunit.

they are not "plug and play" in the sense of you just connecting a cable and it working without dismantling anything.
the plug and play aspect of it just means you do not need to cut and splice wires but you still need to dismantle the vehicles dash to gain access to the factory systems wiring to connect the plugs and position the new module so it is hidden.

there is a video of this install by kayhan which did the same module with a walkinshaw partnership a few years ago

Bluesky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 60TH ANNIVERSARY
Hi Guys,

I purchased a wireless Apple / android auto module for my VF yesterday as I wanted to keep the factory look and not retrofit or modify the existing wiring or my car in anyway.

It is a plug and play solution that allows you to retain all the factory features and all the steering wheel button work .

It uses the Bluetooth audio option I can’t find any issue with the audio for music playback or even phone calls.

It even displays the aircon information when using car play,.

The reverse camera automatically comes on when you select reverse, and the unit can be set to auto boot up when the car is turned on.

One thing I have found so far is there is no volume displayed when you increase or decrease the volume

The unit comes with a detailed instruction manual on how to install it and shows you were to place the module ( it getting placed in the passenger foot well under the carpet.

They accepted my offer for $700 then I used my eBay plus discount to get it for $572.50 with local pickup.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3256526...n1VBnaiTme&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
So theres an option for it to autoboot into Carplay/Android Auto when you turn the car on? Or do i have to manually select it everytime?

vy_berlina03

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6 Storm
Mine is set to auto boot so first the mylink starts up then a 30 seconds to a minute later the CarPlay auto starts.

sandman2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Ute
the module the op posted is nothing new and there are many variants of them around, they are basically a "man in the middle" module that sits between the factory screen and the factory base unit.
they require the factory unit to be set to bluetooth audio for the sound and you switch between the factory system and the added module using a steering wheel button sequence or button sequence on the headunit.

they are not "plug and play" in the sense of you just connecting a cable and it working without dismantling anything.
the plug and play aspect of it just means you do not need to cut and splice wires but you still need to dismantle the vehicles dash to gain access to the factory systems wiring to connect the plugs and position the new module so it is hidden.

there is a video of this install by kayhan which did the same module with a walkinshaw partnership a few years ago

ok cool thanks, i guess i wont be doing this as i hate doing **** like that in cars.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Are you able to use the USB port playing music while you select Apple Car Play?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Are you able to use the USB port playing music while you select Apple Car Play?
if you mean using the factory usb port to play music though the mylink then yes you can still select the audio input source on the mylink while the mitm box is displaying on the screen but you wont get any audio from the mitm box while it is in that state.

so if you are using navigation in cp/aa with audible turn guidance then you wont hear that unless the mylinks input source is set to bluetooth.

i would guess they have an inbuilt media player in the mitm box with a usb port so the question will be what you asked but all within the mitm box, can you play usb audio on the internal media player while the cp/aa layer is loaded on screen.

in other adaptations of cp/aa that i have seen it is not possible but they are factory types not aftermarket types so the op would need to test if both can run and output audio simultaneously.

vy_berlina03

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6 Storm
Sorry guys have been sick the last two days I will plug in the usb cable this weekend and test and report back if it works or not

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
Another question if I may ask, are you able to post the instruction manual for the install? I assume all that happens with this unit is the Wiring assembly that goes from Radio to touch screen loops through this additional unit that runs the Apple Car play.

vy_berlina03

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6 Storm
@Anthony121 you can use the factory usb port to play music while using CarPlay but there is no sound from the CarPlay as this needs to be on the Bluetooth source.

If you use the USB port on the module you need to connect the 3.5mm jack to the aux to get sound and select the aux input but you can't use CarPlay as you need to select the usb option instead of CarPlay.

sorry I throughout the instructions but yes you are correct the blue cable and some other cables from the MyLink goes to the box and then the cables from the module plug into the MyLink where you removed the cables from.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
I installed Apple car play unit which is mentioned today on my SS. The issue I have is it uses Blue tooth audio which I thought would switch over to Wifi. Other than that, It works fine. Just need to fine tune it and find a place to the box that will sit under the passenger side of the footwell.

I have attached pics. My son took over installing it.
Car Appleplay1.jpg
Car Appleplay2.jpg
Car Appleplay3.jpg
Car Appleplay4.jpg
Car Appleplay5.jpg
Car Appleplay6.jpg
Car Appleplay7.jpg
Car Appleplay8.jpg
Car Appleplay9.jpg
Car Appleplay10.png