Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

supercharged V6

ozman599

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supermarine
Hello all,
Been lurking for a while trying to learn a bit about the GM V6. Know a fair bit about engines but a novice with these. What is the difference between the earlier V6 and the later ones? I think the early one has something to do with the Buick V6. Is the Ecotec the latest engine or is there a later one.
I have also heard that a new factory built blown V6 can be had for around 6K. Is this true and if so how much is it strengthened over the non blown one (if at all).
So many questions.......
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Steven

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
k, history lesson first.
the older efi 3.8L V6 which was first found in the VN is basically a turned around buick engine, its quite an old design and a bit "rough around the edges". after this came a revamped version of this buick V6 with the ecotec, it shared similar parts but improvements where made to make it a "greener" engine and also push a few more ponies out of it.
the biggest differences where the new design heads and intake manifold, shorter block height, and the introduction of sequential injection and a maf sensor.
this stayed basically the same, with small differences made to power output and the intake manifold/fuel rails between some models right up to the VY.
the VZ model saw the alloytec come into play, many things changed with the alloytec and i couldnt be bothered going into all of them, but a few of the changes were.
a decrease in displacement from 3.8 down to 3.6, four valves per cylinder and a double overhead cam with variable phasing, faster ecu and electronic throttle control (no physical throttle cable).

i think a brand spanking new L67 (the supercharged ecotec) is around what you mention at $6k, second hand ones seem to be anywhere from $2k up.
as far as my knowledge goes the L67 has a lower compression, different heads (injector placement), different rods and pistons, crank, and also different cam.
there's probably more, but thats the main things i can come up with now.

ozman599

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supermarine
Thanks for the primer Sircruise. So if you bought a factory blown engine today either in a crate or in a new car today it would be based on the older ecotec engine?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
yep, but no new commodores have the s/c engine anymore, cant recall when they got rid of it but i know its not available, all the V6's come with alloytec's now.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
The VZ saw the introduction of the Alloytec V6.
The L67 Supercharged V6 long and short motors are no longer available from Holden. Blew mine last year si I know first hand.
The Ecotec S/C and N/A use the same block, camshaft, valve gear, oil pump, sump, oil pickup, alternator/bracket, A/C compressor, pwr steer pump, exhaust manifolds and engine mounts etc.
The super6 has different heads, rocker covers, rods, pistons, crank, flywheel, harmoninc balancer and different internal balance shaft and of course all the supercharger hardware.
The TB and sensors are the same so to the Oxygen sensors but the maf is different.
You can add an M90 style S/C to the L36 as Yella Terra has done this quite successfully and produced over 200rwkw using special low compression head gaskets and modified standard computer.

krazyboris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Spac S/C
I feel so nostalgic, mines a series 2 VY, one of the last ever L67's.....it would be nice to see holden re-release the blown range, with say an m112.....;)

ozman599

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supermarine
So the SC engine is no longer available new. Bummer.
I have in mind the V6 to power my project. I specifically need max torque at around 4500rpm. It won't be reving any higher than that, in fact will be governed to max at that. It will be SC not TC and will be intercooled with probably a motec ign. Unless the stock compter can be easily programmed (which I don't have a clue about)
Any ideas as to the best way to go about this given those parameters. I would imagine the largest possible cc's would be a start but it needs to be done with robustness in mind.

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
Can I ask what your project is? L67's have flat torque curve from 3,000 on so sound like the one you want.

ozman599

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supermarine
Similar sort of thing to this link
http://www.tedbullock.com/Powerplant.html
Except mine is wood not tin and I will be looking for more power than they have hence the plan to intercool. As the prop has a max speed there is no need for an engine that will rev out to a zillion redline.
I believe this engine while quoted as a GM is actually an Isuzu V6. Is it related to the Holden engine at all?