Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

why is the VL a cult car

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
calaisturbo.com.au - Powered by vBulletin 22,000 members on a forum what is for VL TURBOS and VL's only!!! Prove to me that its not a cult car.

well im a member on there and i dont have a VL or a calais or a turbo. im sure there are quite a few members like that. numbers mean nothing. a lot of VL drivers are sheep anyway. all doing the same mods, driving the same yellow bt1 mockups. i dont mind the VL calais, i just prefer the ones that have original ideas. its weird how the headlights make them look so different to a vl exec

scrabet

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore executive
probly because their prety cheap to buy now and cheap to mod and get parts for

hehe go the vn's i miss my old one and its onlky been gone for 3 days :cry:

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
well im a member on there and i dont have a VL or a calais or a turbo. im sure there are quite a few members like that. numbers mean nothing. a lot of VL drivers are sheep anyway. all doing the same mods, driving the same yellow bt1 mockups. i dont mind the VL calais, i just prefer the ones that have original ideas. its weird how the headlights make them look so different to a vl exec

That website is probably more active then this forum with vl turbo talk then all vb-ve talk put together on this froum.

Of course most vl turbos are basically the same... Bigger turbos, bigger injectors, aftermarket ecu i dont see what your getting at???? Or do you mean we should start ricing up our vls with bodykits?

Thats another reason why vls are popular.. Its probably the only commodore what doesnt need a body kit to look good.

But you have to agree the main reason why it is a cult car is because of the rb30 motor.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
That website is probably more active then this forum with vl turbo talk then all vb-ve talk put together on this froum.

Of course most vl turbos are basically the same... Bigger turbos, bigger injectors, aftermarket ecu i dont see what your getting at???? Or do you mean we should start ricing up our vls with bodykits?

Thats another reason why vls are popular.. Its probably the only commodore what doesnt need a body kit to look good.

But you have to agree the main reason why it is a cult car is because of the rb30 motor.

no offence intended man. i go on that forum sometimes. theyve got some good threads on there showing me how to do some diff work. there are a lot of knobs on there though. i remember one named grk-wpn or something lol. always good for a laugh though.
i kinda agree about the bodykit, but it depends what you would class the calais popup headlight cover things as. i dont think a VL looks good without them for some reason.
the bit where i said theyre the same, i mean like, when i see 20 yellow BT1s in one spot, i think its the most boring sight ever. i couldnt stand looking to my right and left and seeing cars exactly the same as mine.

VH commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH and VT S2 Berlina ecotec

vb, vc, vh dont need a kit. vl's usually need calias front end to look good...depends what u consider a body kit, i usually think of them as an after market job, so all ss commodores and most calias dont need a body kit to look good.

Wagon_Wheel

Drop A Patch....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS Clubsport, VP Wagon Daily
Yeah i REALLY dont see whats so great about them.
Fair enough they are quick with a turbo on them, but what car isnt?!
And i wouldnt go as far as saying no one likes VN's, take a look around, there are tonnes of ppl that have there minds dead set on VN's, take a look at VN SS's for example.

I know i would much prefer a VN SS over a VL anyday.

VL's are in no way unique either, they are over flowing and most of them look the same, everyone is a calais mock up.

And they are not cheap these days any more because of the popularity of them.

And dont say i have to go in one to believe how good they are etc, because i have been in several, including one insanely quick turbo one, it was good. But i would still rather buy a different car for what the car was worth

VT's will never be popular... ugly ugly ugly junk cars... unless its the v8 vt your talking about what will still never be popular due to being a v8.

Thats just your opinion, im sure the VT lovers will say the same about the VL's, and what the hell do you mean about a v8 never being popular? You name some cars that have remained a sort after classic from YEARS ago, that isnt a v8?!

22,000 members on a forum what is for VL TURBOS and VL's only!!! Prove to me that its not a cult car.

That site isnt JUST ppl with VL's, i know plenty of ppl that are members that dont own VLs, but i'd say most would

What you mean no body kit?
I think they look ugly without calais front, and majority i see, have calais front, calais side moulds etc, which i would class as a body kit.
And to mention, all the mock up, aero's, walkies etc

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
Yeah i REALLY dont see whats so great about them.
Fair enough they are quick with a turbo on them, but what car isnt?!
And i wouldnt go as far as saying no one likes VN's, take a look around, there are tonnes of ppl that have there minds dead set on VN's, take a look at VN SS's for example.

I know i would much prefer a VN SS over a VL anyday.

VL's are in no way unique either, they are over flowing and most of them look the same, everyone is a calais mock up.

And they are not cheap these days any more because of the popularity of them.

And dont say i have to go in one to believe how good they are etc, because i have been in several, including one insanely quick turbo one, it was good. But i would still rather buy a different car for what the car was worth

Thats just your opinion, im sure the VT lovers will say the same about the VL's, and what the hell do you mean about a v8 never being popular? You name some cars that have remained a sort after classic from YEARS ago, that isnt a v8?!

That site isnt JUST ppl with VL's, i know plenty of ppl that are members that dont own VLs, but i'd say most would

What you mean no body kit?
I think they look ugly without calais front, and majority i see, have calais front, calais side moulds etc, which i would class as a body kit.
And to mention, all the mock up, aero's, walkies etc

Yes but your missing the point VLs came out with factory turbos... So joblow can walk into a shop, buy vl turbo gear, bolt it on and drive away. No need to get it engineered. When I said bodykits I ment putting on gay t spoilers or hornet scoops or newer model commodore body kits on older model commodore....

And do you really see v8s being popular in the future when petrol will be $2+ a liter.

Wagon_Wheel

Drop A Patch....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS Clubsport, VP Wagon Daily
I never said anything about engineering anything, but yes you can get a quick factory turbo vl.

I do see V8s being popular still, as you can see the newer models are coming out with bigger and more powerful motors and ppl are still buying them.

Are you also saying that a worked VL turbo uses less fuel than a V8?
The only turbo's i know that my mates own, use a HEAP more fuel than a V8

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It depends where you live, VN/P 5 litres are far more popular and sought after than VL turbos where I live. But if you live in a highly ethnic place that has a turbo culture like say Melbourne then you will find more VLT's. At the local dragstrip here you would normally find no more than one VLT on average with perhaps a couple other non VL's cars running RB30 transplants. But there will be several VN/P 5 litres at every meeting along with the normal 50 chequebook racer LS1's. Still I'm considering swapping my VH SLE for a VL exec if I can find a grandma enough one :p