Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

why is the VL a cult car

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
But it does work that way. All you v6 boys are bitching saying that a turbo is cheating and that a rb30 is nothing without a turbo... Well a v6 is also a nothing without a turbo/supercharger. And a v8 is also nothing if it didnt have 2 cylinders extra over a 6.

Just like the 2 stroke vs 4 stroke debate. Some say that the 4 strokes are cheat bikes because 250 4 stroke races in the 125cc 2 stroke class while the 450f races in the 250cc 2 stroke class.... 2 strokes are practically turbo charged from the expansion chamber!!!!!!! Now shouldnt the 2 stroke be a cheat bike????

I would take a 2 stroke dirt bike or a turbo charged 6 over a N/A V8 any day of the week. Why would I want a boring power curve with power all the way through the rev range when I could have something what takes off slow then hitting boost pushing me back into my seat while the revs and speedo harshly increase????? Just like a 2 stroke powerband :thumbsup:

A V6 is nothing without a FI yes..But there are some very quick, very powerful N/A V8's out there. Most of which would wipe the floor with FI 6's whether they are factory or modified (unless its major boost modified).

As greenfoam said last night, VE V8's are running 11's with relatively small bolt on mods. OTRCAI, tune, diff gears and some slicks and you're pretty well into the 11's. How many forced induction 6's get into the 11's that easy? Yes they do it and they do it often, but it takes alot more work.

You're missing the point anyway. Its about comparing the engines themselves. Not FI. Saying "oh yeah but you have 2 extra cylinders" is just ridiculous and makes no sense what so ever. Having said that, there are some great turbo 6's out there but I still don't rank the RB30et. RB26DETT, Buick turbo, Fords current I6 turbo, 2jz etc.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
As greenfoam said last night, VE V8's are running 11's with relatively small bolt on mods. OTRCAI, tune, diff gears and some slicks and you're pretty well into the 11's. How many forced induction 6's get into the 11's that easy? Yes they do it and they do it often, but it takes alot more work.

Forced induction 6 into the 11's. Okay.
Step 1: Buy an xr6t
Step 2: Fit KPM Stage 3 upgrade.

KPM said:
Package includes:

• Full Intake System Plazmaman 12K Kit Components listed separately
  • 1 x KPM Cyclone Heavy Duty Valve Spring Set
  • 6 X KPM Blueprint Injectors
  • 1 x CAPA Ford Flasher Box
  • 3 x KPM Edit Customized tunes on Dyno Including Transmission Upgrade
Options:

• Full Engine Performance Rebuild Highly Recommended for this stage
  • Full Auto Transmission Performance rebuild Highly recommended for this stage
  • KPM Performance Exhaust System Highly recommended for this stage
  • Diff gear upgrade including: 3.46:1, 3.73:1, 4.1:1
Note the bottom section are optional. So that's valves injectors and a transmission upgrade for 11 seconds.

Mind you I agree with what you're saying, not every 6 cylinder turbo will hit 11's easily. The xr6t is just fortunate enough to come with an awesome turbo/engine and makes it pretty easy to tweak. As has already been proven many times.

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
It all comes down to preference. 4 stroke dirt bikes are quicker then 2 strokes but still I would take a 2 stroke over a 4 stroke regardless of what is faster. A turbo LS1 or LS2 would be the shizzzz.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
cubes for cubes 2 strokes are allways faster, the point is only 2 or 3 people in the world are skilled enough to ride them faster than a 4 stroke :) they dont race 400cc 4 strokes against 400 cc two strokes, they race them against 250s

KRUPTD

VN BT1 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Crewman,XE Falcon,HJ V8 panel van,HZ tonner
My 2 cents worth,i dont reckon VL's are a cult car.But there are many around with turbo convertions or original items.But i remember from when i was in YR11 and 12 my mates brothers and other freinds had VN SS's VP SS's and EB and ED XR8's and also VR and VS SS's all of them souped up in someway.I dont mind a tidy VL turbo calais.
But if you want a hair dryer,go grabb it off your missus.lol
Talking about some times,one of my old friends has an HX ute with a chev style tub,16inch billets,bright firetruck red,rebuilt chev 350 with mild cam and head work with good internals,full manualised turbo 350 with 3200rpm stall,good trusty ford 9 inch (unsure of ratio).This ute is a 11second ute which is driven maybe a few days a week,but is always driven on the weekends.(11.3seconds,with issues of traction),just wanted to share that with ya's.

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
But it does work that way. All you v6 boys are bitching saying that a turbo is cheating and that a rb30 is nothing without a turbo... Well a v6 is also a nothing without a turbo/supercharger. And a v8 is also nothing if it didnt have 2 cylinders extra over a 6.

Just like the 2 stroke vs 4 stroke debate. Some say that the 4 strokes are cheat bikes because 250 4 stroke races in the 125cc 2 stroke class while the 450f races in the 250cc 2 stroke class.... 2 strokes are practically turbo charged from the expansion chamber!!!!!!! Now shouldnt the 2 stroke be a cheat bike????

I would take a 2 stroke dirt bike or a turbo charged 6 over a N/A V8 any day of the week. Why would I want a boring power curve with power all the way through the rev range when I could have something what takes off slow then hitting boost pushing me back into my seat while the revs and speedo harshly increase????? Just like a 2 stroke powerband :thumbsup:

having no forced induction at all a stock 5 litre beats a vn v6 which beats a stock vl. the thing is you need a stock rb30et with 6 pounds of boost and exhaust system to keep up with a 5litre. and we dont need to rev out or recycle our exhaust fumes through the combustion sequence a second time, or wait until we've built up revs to power the device that powers our motor

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
cubes for cubes 2 strokes are allways faster, the point is only 2 or 3 people in the world are skilled enough to ride them faster than a 4 stroke :) they dont race 400cc 4 strokes against 400 cc two strokes, they race them against 250s

Yep and they say the 4 strokes are cheat bikes when 2 strokes are practically turbo charged and make more power then 4 strokes..... Im pretty sure the AMA changed the rules this year allowing 250cc 2 stroke to race in the 250f class:D

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
Are you also saying that a worked VL turbo uses less fuel than a V8?
The only turbo's i know that my mates own, use a HEAP more fuel than a V8
I wish my V8 would be nicer to petrol. Destroys a tank in no time.

I have never seen the VL's as cult cars. I have never really seen any Commodore as a cult car.

Depends on what constitutes the use of the word 'cult'. Seems to be anything with an uncanny and unexplained following. VLs have that.

Having said that it is very much a young persons car. I can't sell mine because it's a V8. Scares the kiddies but the mature driver doesn't want a VL unless it's to flog to work and back.

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
having no forced induction at all a stock 5 litre beats a vn v6 which beats a stock vl. the thing is you need a stock rb30et with 6 pounds of boost and exhaust system to keep up with a 5litre. and we dont need to rev out or recycle our exhaust fumes through the combustion sequence a second time, or wait until we've built up revs to power the device that powers our motor

And your point is????? I would rather have a more violent power curve then a boring power curve with power throughout the whole revv range. Thats why I dont ride 4 strokes :thumbsup:

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
I wish my V8 would be nicer to petrol. Destroys a tank in no time.

Depends on what constitutes the use of the word 'cult'. Seems to be anything with an uncanny and unexplained following. VLs have that.

Having said that it is very much a young persons car. I can't sell mine because it's a V8. Scares the kiddies but the mature driver doesn't want a VL unless it's to flog to work and back.

LOL LOL LOL LOL!!!! Why a cruddy VL V8 when you can have a nice 3L turbo what will out perform the VL V8 any day of the week.

Even the stock 3L 5 speed N/A VL will keep up with the VL V8.

Last edited: