Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

why is the VL a cult car

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
My 2 cents worth,i dont reckon VL's are a cult car.

Look thats ok, just mark yourself wrong and we'll move on.

Why a cruddy VL V8 when you can have a nice 3L turbo what will out perform the VL V8 any day of the week

The numbers don't lie. 122kW from a V8 is downright pathetic, however because lead kills kiddies and I hear isn't much better for ducks Holdens hands were kind of tied. Ever seen a VL V8 Ad? The catchphrase was "Holden V8 Torques your language' - targeting people who wanted to tow stuff. I mean hell, if the torque is your cars best feature then something is seriously wrong eh?

150kW standard from an RB30ET for the win. And there is nothing wrong with an RB30E either, given the choice i'd have one over a VL V8 ANYDAY. That said, if the choice was only the V8 then i'd take it, because even a VL V8 can be phearsome in the right hands with a little TLC, and i'm sure Vic will attest.

If theres something I know, its power. Trust me, my daily driver is flat rated to 2558 hp.

Last edited:

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
The VL 6 is said to now be a cult car , especially for young men who cant wait to spend a fortune increasing the already adequate power.

the combination of an overpowered car with an inexperienced driver is worrying

obviously VLs are cheap but there must be other appealing things such as the shape, size, rear seat headroom and ease of visibility for the driver

the next commodore, the VN is quite unwanted

the RB 30 engine is smooth and powerful but the nissan skyline with the same engine isnt popular.

The demand fot the VL makes it top of the list for being stolen, helped by the fact that almost any VL commodore key will open and start any VL. The cause seems to be wear in the lock cylinders over the years

a security system is essential

any ideas why the VL is so popular, perhaps it looks strong and healthy, all later commodores look pregnant and sick to me

Personally, I never new much about VL's as being a cult car or much about the Nissan motor.

My VN got stolen, I needed another car and since my Father In Law had his up for sale I bought it because it was garaged and regularly serviced, he is an old bloke and not a hoon.

From "word-go" the power of the RB30 was comparable if not better than my VN V6; I was impressed but again never knew of this cult like status for a VL. My young bloke reckons all his mates likes them because as a new driver they are one of the cheapest and most powerful cars available.

The motors have a reputation of lasting a long time as does the gear box.

They are an easy car to drive and have very good vision which is nice to have when you are a learner "Ls". They are also easy to repair and there's plenty of parts. But from what my lad says, it's mostly because of the power of the motor. As a Red P plater in NSW ya can't drive a turbo or v8 so that doesn't leave much option for a young bloke who likes a 4 door with good fuel economy and limited dollars.:whistling

A few things worry me as a Dad and that is, soon I'll be picking up a new VE, I'll be keeping the VL; an old mate of mine who drives hire cars and has owned Taxis gave me some advice that stuck in my head. He said not to give the VL to my son because they are just too powerful.

Yeah, I know it sounds dumb but I'll probably drive around in the VL more than the VE. At least I know that if he does do something wrong he'll be protected by air bags etc. :whistling

I remember what I was like when young; a lead foot and I reckon my lad will be the same.

But getting back to the main thread, it's the powerful engine to low weight ratio that makes the VL stand out.

And, if a young person or old person buys one, make sure the seatbelts are in good shape and the brakes are spot on and for heaven sake have some good tyres in preference to a boom box.

I'll now step down from my soap box:thumbsup: Sorry to rant on but I've had plenty of mates die because of inexperience and fast cars:cry:

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
And, if a young person or old person buys one, make sure the seatbelts are in good shape and the brakes are spot on and for heaven sake have some good tyres in preference to a boom box.

Truer words were never spoken.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yep and they say the 4 strokes are cheat bikes when 2 strokes are practically turbo charged and make more power then 4 strokes..... Im pretty sure the AMA changed the rules this year allowing 250cc 2 stroke to race in the 250f class:D

I love my two strokes, it's such a elegant engine. Sure it has some flaws but in the end if you use the crank case as a supercharger and fire the piston everytime it goes up you cant help but go fast no matter how flawed the rest of the design is :thumbsup:. I'm sure as with most things once the two stroke in totaly thrown on the back burner for a decade or two some new technolgies will arrive that will enable the few flaws in the two stroke to be cured and it will be back with vengance :)

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
I love my two strokes, it's such a elegant engine. Sure it has some flaws but in the end if you use the crank case as a supercharger and fire the piston everytime it goes up you cant help but go fast no matter how flawed the rest of the design is :thumbsup:. I'm sure as with most things once the two stroke in totaly thrown on the back burner for a decade or two some new technolgies will arrive that will enable the few flaws in the two stroke to be cured and it will be back with vengance :)

Pretty sure KTM have just developed a fuel injected 2 stroke:thumbsup: Long live the 2 stroke :D

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
we dont need to rev out or recycle our exhaust fumes through the combustion sequence a second time, or wait until we've built up revs to power the device that powers our motor

Since when do turbos reuse exhaust fumes a second time? turbos are bloody brilliant (i dont like them much, but they are technically brilliant). You have all this pressure (exhaust gases) going to waste normally... A turbo gives you effectively power for nothing (obviously you use more fuel, but its very efficient).

I do like a N/A engine, but these days its just so outdated technology. I mean, why have a 6L V8 when you can have a FIV6? And even if you are sticking on N/A, why so bloody big? The Chevy engines are good, but they are weak....

LS2 6000cc V8.... ~400bhp.
Audi 4200cc V8.... ~400bhp.
BMW M5 (2003) 4.94L V8.... 400bhp.

I could go and on and on, but basically there are a lot of examples of car manufacturers getting 400bhp+ from 4 to 5 Litre V8s... I know they are more complex, thus more expensive and more to go wrong, but really 400bhp from a 6L V8 isnt that much. The Evo 8/9 get close to 400bhp from a 2L!.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Since when do turbos reuse exhaust fumes a second time? turbos are bloody brilliant (i dont like them much, but they are technically brilliant). You have all this pressure (exhaust gases) going to waste normally... A turbo gives you effectively power for nothing (obviously you use more fuel, but its very efficient).

I do like a N/A engine, but these days its just so outdated technology. I mean, why have a 6L V8 when you can have a FIV6? And even if you are sticking on N/A, why so bloody big? The Chevy engines are good, but they are weak....

LS2 6000cc V8.... ~400bhp.
Audi 4200cc V8.... ~400bhp.
BMW M5 (2003) 4.94L V8.... 400bhp.

I could go and on and on, but basically there are a lot of examples of car manufacturers getting 400bhp+ from 4 to 5 Litre V8s... I know they are more complex, thus more expensive and more to go wrong, but really 400bhp from a 6L V8 isnt that much. The Evo 8/9 get close to 400bhp from a 2L!.

Those engines are far too expensive to even compare mate. Plus, the Chevvy engines have ALOT of power left in them. The LS3 is detuned, where as the Audi, Merc V8's are already putting out a considerable amount of their potential.

They may be large, but their still quite fuel efficient. And last I checked, the 6L AMG Mercedes engine was similar output to the LS3.

Forced induction engines can still only go so far. The new F6 Typhoon makes 315kw...But it runs 14psi from the factory! In cars like that, its no longer as easy as turning up the boost to make alot more power because they can't take alot more boost. Same goes for the Evo 8. Plus, whack a turbo running 14psi on a LS3 and see what power you make ;)

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Since when do turbos reuse exhaust fumes a second time? turbos are bloody brilliant (i dont like them much, but they are technically brilliant). You have all this pressure (exhaust gases) going to waste normally... A turbo gives you effectively power for nothing (obviously you use more fuel, but its very efficient)

Use more fuel... how is that power for nothing? It's rather inefficent to have a turbine wheel in the exhaust flow, and to use more fuel. I'm not saying its a bad idea, but bolting a turbo on any given engine doesn't make it more efficent. You could up the power and efficency with other mods, granted not the same amount of power but still.

And you also forget... rice = gay. No matter how clever the little buggers are.

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
I would say they have lost some popularity over the past few years, I see more young fellas in VR-VT now because they have come down alot in price. The only guys who really drive VL's now are the guys who really want them.

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
by all means im not saying turbos are bad, id go out and drive an 11 second car right now and have a ball, but its not my ultimate dream. im really just having a go if anyhting, but i do dislike-

stock vl's with sports exhausts
clear lights
arms hanging out the window

Because these people honestly think there the fastest thing on the road, maybe they were racing vk 202's back in the day.............