Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to Change the Oil in a VT/VX

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
I thought I'd put these up just to help people out.. It'll save you heaps of money..

1. Make sure you have the correct viscosity Oil and Filter.. Check your handbook for the Oil and double check the filter when you buy it. For the VT/VX it's Z154.. Any 15W-40 Oil should be fine. We've had a few Ecotec's and that's what we've found to be the best..

(Optional 2.) Put a bottle of engine oil flush into where you put the oil in and let the car idle for about 15 mins.

3. If you can get under the car, undo the sump with a 17 or 19mm socket.. There is also a sump washer, which you don't want to forget.. The oil will be hot so some rubber gloves help at this point.. (If you can't fit under the car to do it, just jack it up and lower the car back once the oil is draining {next step})

4. Let all the oil drain into a pan you have sitting under the car for about 10 mins.. It helps to have the oil filler cap open and the bonnet up..

5. Undo the filter with a wrench or your hands, depending on how tight the mechanic did it up..

6. Make sure the filter gasket came off, by running your hands over where the oil filter was..

7. Get some tissues (a female pad works better) and wipe where the filter was and the sump clean..

8. Pour a bit of new oil through the cap to see if it's flowing through the sump..

9. Smear some oil on the new filter gasket and put the filter on tightly with only your hands, not the wrench. Do up the sump tightly with the wrench, but not too tightly (DONT FORGET THE WASHER!!!)

10. Refill with about 4.5 litres of oil. Do it in 1 litre increments, using the dipstick to check how much more oil you need to put in..

11. If the dipstick says you've got the right amount of oil in your car and you've done up the sump and oil filter properly.. Just run the car for about 10 mins, back it up a bit and put a tissue under the sump. If you see any oil on the tissue, tighten the sump or use some teflon tape..

Voula.. You've saved yourself about $100 and you've used quality oil and a filter.. If you're new to this, chances are that you'll do a better job then the mechanic..

I've made this pretty simple, if anyone wants to add or change anything.. Just post it and I'll edit..

Last edited:

nomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina wagon.
shounak said:
If you can't fit under the car to do it, just jack it up and lower the car back once the oil is draining

It would be better to let the oil drain completely before lowering the car. If you lower the car at this stage, you could easily FORGET to put the sump plug back in by getting distracted or such.

I jack my car up front & back, support it on chassis/axle stands, remove the plug (putting it somewhere readily seen, like on a rag next to car) then go & have a cuppa. Go back out & replace the plug first thing, then continue with the job.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
don't forget after step 11 when you've run the car let it sit for a few minutes for the oil to drain back to the sump, check the dipstick again as it will be lower cos of the oil filling the filter.

N

nevin4ever

sorry to bother you guys... i know this is a really dumb question, but does anyone have a basic layout where the sump, is located.. i already know how to get off the filter.. no problems but my car is very low, so i can only reach certain parts under my car and on many attemps, i just cant seem to find the other EXIT for the oil... any ideas that could give us a hand...

nomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina wagon.
Umm, where's the sump? Bolted directly to the bottom of the motor. The oil drain bolt is near the front of it on the passenger side. It can be seen/got to from the front of the car. That's where it is on the VR, so presume it's the same on yours. It is a V6 isn't it?
If you can't get under the car to do this, you'll need to raise it so you can get under. Might be time to invest in a trolley jack & 4 chassis stands. This is how I do my cars. It takes less than a minute to jack up each corner & put the stand in place. Might also be advisable to get a workshop manual as well.

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
Here's a tip. Engine flush that you buy is actually diesel petrol (read the pack). So if you do use the stuff you can just buy two litres and run that thru. It's a much cheaper option.

shamus

Reaction score
just looked on the Nulon website. It's mainly kerosene, naptha petroleum and refined mineral oil.....

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Look if you want to do a thorough job, after the oil has drained. Fill her up with some cheapy oil and run it for a little while and redrain the thing..

That should get rid of a lot of the sludge..

Got that idea from either VLV8Vic or Bax..

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Shounak said:
(If you can't fit under the car to do it, just jack it up and lower the car back once the oil is draining {next step})

not a good idea to get under a car that is only supported by a jack

Shounak said:
Undo the filter with a wrench or your hands, depending on how tight the mechanic did it up..

if you still can't get it off whack a big screwdriver through it

Shounak said:
If the dipstick says you've got the right amount of oil in your car

didn't realise it was a 2 person job:whistling

good post though:thumbsup:

zandahar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTSS 5L
nomad said:
It would be better to let the oil drain completely before lowering the car. If you lower the car at this stage, you could easily FORGET to put the sump plug back in by getting distracted or such.

HAH I did that when I was like 15 or so although I never had to jack it up but still forgot to put the plug back in. Pouring away with the oil and noticed through the gaps in the engine there was this oil running on the ground im like wtf. Look underneath "heh woops"

On another note I've never had an issue getting the filter off with a filter remover, havent resorted to the screwdriver...YET!