Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pod Filter with CAI on a VR/VS

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Okay so here is how I did it.

Firstly I would like to say that if you do this I cannot promise it is legal, will work, wont stuff things, blah blah.

Tools needed.

Drill
Socket Set (Cant remember sizes)
Knife
Hack Saw
File/rasp
screw driver set
alan keys

Materials
1 X Extra Panel Filter Box $30 from wreckers
1 X CAI $60 from Holden
1 X CAI to Filter box joiner $15 from Holden
1 X CAI mount screws $5 from Holden
1 X 90 degree air inlet pipe $10 Autobarn
1 X fiber glass repair kit $24 Autobarn
1 X pod filter $35 (Depends on what you want, I Bought a cheapy)

Step one

Remove the old air box, the whole thing, leave the plenum pipe though, no need to change this
unless you have a fully sick one you REALLY want in there.
all you need to do to do this is undo the hose clamp on the plenum pipe, then undo the clips on
the airbox, open it, remove the filter adn undo the three nuts on the bottom on this inside.
oh and remember to unplug the wires connected to the airbox if there are any, we will worry about retrieving that part later.

Step two

keep the removed airbox and filter just incase and grab your newer one, rip off the dicky little
snorkal thing from the front on the bottom half of the airbox and drop kick it, now you will need
to cut the hole a bit to fit the airbox to CAI joiner, match it up, mark it and cut it, do this
bit by bit if you want and you have less chances of making a mistake.

Step three

Grab the top half of the new airbox and start making that hole a bit bigger, remember to remove
the old plenum pipe joiner first, from the inside and the out, you will need the alan keys here.
Fit the 90 degree pipe, keep working at it slowly untill you can get the pipe in on an angle
that allows the pod filter to be fitted, remember you will need to remove and reinstall the pod
filter at times.

I actually had to cut my pipe a bit shorter because the plenum pipe wouldnt quite fit otherwise, just wouldnt squash the way I wanted it too.

Step four

Line everything up on the top half of the airbox, fibre glass it shut, once the fibre glas has
set you can spray it black too if you like, I sprayed mine and the pipe and even my engine cover.

Step five

Remove the air temp sensor from the old airbox IF ONE WAS ATTACHED.
it will have been on the back of the top half, remeber those wires? if not then you dont need to
do this, if so well then this is easy anyway.
grab a flathead screwdriver, look inside the airbox, push the flat head under the little metal
ring holding the sensor and turn slightly, do this a afew times and it will pop off.

Step six

Grab the new airbox top half and drill a hole for the air temp sensor, push it in so the plug is
on the outside, take the metal ring and push it on from the inside of the box, walla its fitted.

Step Seven

screw the new airbox bottom half down, remember those three nuts?
drop the top half down and snap it on there, then connect the plenum pipe and tighten up that
hose clamp.
fit the airbox to CAI joiner to the front, atm it will look kind of useless aye :p
grab the CAI and sit it on top of the radiator housing, I lined mine up perfectly square with it
as best I could by eye, and never had any dramas.
Drill three holes, being sure nto to drill too far, just the housing will suffice, push your holden screws in.

I cant remember the drill bit size either, im fairly useless tbh.

oh nice :p oh rice :(

P.S remove the 20 amp engine fuse for a few moments to reset the computer. will allow it to adjust to its new air intake a little better, or so im led to believe.

Image Index

Image 1 - I had to cut the bloody pipe
Image 2 - Expand the hole
Image 3 - Air temp sensor
Image 4 - CAI
Image 5 - The Pod in the box
Image 6 - The only usefull pic

Attachments

• S6000239.JPG
    S6000239.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 3,152
  • S6000241.JPG
    S6000241.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 3,236
  • S6000243.JPG
    S6000243.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 2,967
  • S6000244.JPG
    S6000244.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 4,229
  • S6000252.JPG
    S6000252.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 6,634
  • S6000259.JPG
    S6000259.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 12,919
Last edited:

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
just remember VP / VN owners.........only problem with fitting holden CAI's to your VN / VP is the fact that alot of the time the manifold you mount to your radiator plastic cover sometimes blocks your bonnet from closing and u may need to heat the very ends of the manifold and squash them flat so u can close your bonnet properley

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Okay pics added enjoy, any feedback, mistakes whatever, let me know.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I'd like to add something here, having a pod filter inside the airbox is no different that having a panel filter. The size of the CAI is what restricts your air flow. The principle of the pod is to have as much surface area in contact with the atmosphere as possible. The CAI can only allow so much volume and it isn't enough for the capacity of a pod. A better thing to do would be to mount the pod down behind the bumper with the piping going back up into the airbox and getting rid of the CAI if you want to retain the original look. But that is just my opinion. Another thing you can do is to cut the sides out of the front and the passenger side of the lower half of the box to expose as much of the pod as possible. The CAI will bring enough cool air in to keep it below the engine temp.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Keeping in mind evena cheap pod filter will allow more air flow than a standard panel filter, the only panel filter that matches up is a K&N high flow and they are like $100.

My set up cost a little at first, but whenever I do a filter its about $30 to $40

With that said I could put the air flow piping and a cone mounted down low at the opening on the front of my VS bumper, which would have the same effect without the risk of the car inhaling a puddle.

I see your point, but I have to disagree in part.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The filter does the job of filtering out water, if it was an issue then you wouldn't be able to drive the car in the rain. The CAI would suck the water right in.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
YOu are entitled to your opinion mate, prehaps you should start your OWN thread in the general section, this is a how to.

I can promise a high flow filter will not catch any water either, well maybe a 10th of each drop, the CAI is located under the bonnet remember and is at little risk of sucking in any water, numerous threads related to CAI discuss the risks of water entering the system, I too believe it is a valid cause for caution, a standard filter will stop more water, but lets less flow of air.

Also I have never once found water in my airbox, have you ?

Even if you did, due to the position of the pannel filter and in this case the pod it would most likey drain out the bottom, having an exposed filter would be insane however, not to mention the amount of crud that would stick to it.

A setup like what you are talking about with a pod is for racing. not street driving, you still havn't addressed the origional issue, which is boxing a POD filter, like I said a cheap high flow Pod filter is better then paying $100 for a high flow panel filter, some people prefer a POD, I like my POD and I like it getting Cool Air.

Lastly, this is not a Panel Vs Pod Thread it is a how too.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
after a bit of poking around I have to agree with Not an Abba fan, if the high intake filters with a CAI are for you, just use a K&N panel Filter. thats what im gonna do.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I have seen dyno tests that showed a pod filter is no better than a standard paper panel filter.