Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Using Harrop Adapter to fit VT-VY rear brakes to VL-VS solid rear axle

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Have just used the latest Harrop Adapter kit that allows you to fit any VT-VZ Holden/HSV brakes setup onto any VL-VS solid rear axles.
HarropAdpters.jpg

Here's how the fitting went.

Firstly look at the difference in the size of the discs.
rearbrakes004640x480.jpg

Remove the standard brakes, park brake and axles as per any service manual.
Then fit up the new Harrop adapter backing plate and reattach the park brake setup:
rearbrakes013640x480.jpg

Moving to the axles you really need to replace the studs with longer ones as the Harrop Kit plus the HSV discs adds about 8mm extra thickness and the standard studs are only just long enough standard.
I used VR-VS Front studs but the hole they go in is 12.7(1/2") and the rear axle hole is only 12mm and no you can't just hammer it in.
I punched out the standard studs and drilled out the theholes to 1/2" then hammered the new studs in.
Just make sure you check your wheel nuts after about a week in case one hasn't seated properly.
rearbrakes015640x480.jpg

rearbrakes014640x480.jpg

Next you refit the axles then place on the Harrop handbrake hat and adjust the shoes just like normal
rearbrakes002640x480.jpg

rearbrakes016640x480.jpg

The comes the HSV VX disc and caliper using braided lines to help keep the pedal height good as you can't upgrade the VS master cylinder.
rearbrakes018640x480.jpg

newgtswheels010.jpg

This is a great kit for those who have already purchased HSV/Holden rears maybe as part of a F&R set.
There is a simpler but more expensive alternative from RaceBrakes that uses 330x22mm rear discs and is purely bolt on and uses the standard handbrake.

Cheers Col.

Last edited:

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
How much did the kit cost?

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
The Harrop kit costs $605 + postage and then you have to supply your own VT-VZ brake set up.
I bought my VX HSV twin piston 330x32mm fronts/ 315x18mm rears off eBay for $700 and put in new pads, < $200.
The studs are about $3 each from Holden and a 1/2" drill bit from bunnings about $15.
You can buy a rear kit from Mr Spares (eBay) for $745 and from Race brakes in Sydney that doesn't require changing the back plate but both of these kits use their own specific calipers and discs.
This kit once the back plate (Harrop) is on uses standard Holden/HSV calipers and discs.
The hand brake hat is also Harrop but should never need replacing unless you drive with the handbrake on.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
nice, whats the minimum rim size for this setup? i'm guessing 17". maybe this needs to be moved to the "how to" section

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Minimum wheel size is 17" although some 16's will fit over these rears but if using matching 330mm fronts you'll need 17" for them.
If your using the VZ Holden SS/Monaro F-320/R-289mm setup then this Harrop adapter will adapt the 289 x 18mm rear discs and both Front and rear should fit under 16" wheels.

"Yeah probably should be in the How to Section, if any moderators looking"
Actually thought I did put it in there, but must have clicked on the wrong thread.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
moved to howto, deleted the other one(might as well keep all the discussion already in
here) and fixed top image link for you.

might have to look at this for the vp later on

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
excellent. with the extra shoe fitted for the handbrake moving the wheels out and increasing the wheel track by 8mm each side some people with extremly wide wheels may have some clearance/gaurd rub issues

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
excellent. with the extra shoe fitted for the handbrake moving the wheels out and increasing the wheel track by 8mm each side some people with extremly wide wheels may have some clearance/gaurd rub issues

I think you mean the extra drum and yes you are right with the wheel widths becoming an issue.
With wagons only having narrow wheel tubs my 40P VR senators needed the panhard bar adjusted perfect so as not to rub which they do now with the new brakes.
But I had planned to fit VT1 GTS/VX Clubby wheels 48P so that puts the wheel position in relation to the inner guards back where they were.
newgtswheels010.jpg

Cheers Col.