Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VN-VP] [Buick] How to check oil pressure relief valve spring length

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Heres a run down on how to check the oil pressure relief valve spring length on your VN-VR Buick V6. This is responsible for maintaining the maximum specified oil pressure. As years go by these springs can get weak, causing oil pressure to drop, which isnt a good thing.

Without installing a gauge, I had a fair idea that I had adequate oil pressure because I can safely take it throughout the rev range with no hesitation. Unlike some V6's like our VP wagon where you can hear big end knock at 4000rpm :p.

Weve all heard the expression "rod out the block", so heres one way to help prevent that. :p

1. Remove oil filter and disconnect oil pressure switch wiring.

2. Locate and remove the 4 bolts attaching the oil filter adapter to the timing cover. 1/2" socket from memory. Prepare for some spillage!

3. Remove filter adapter. It should come away with ease with minor spring force behind it. Be careful not to tear the gasket if planning to reuse it.

IMG_1623Small.jpg

4. Simply remove the valve and spring from the timing cover.

IMG_1624Small.jpg

5. Measure the spring free length from end to end. The minimum specified length for VN is 64.8mm and VP 66.3mm. Mine came in at a healthy 65mm.

IMG_1625Small.jpg

6. Re-assemble. All parts should be cleaned with a solvent and dried with compressed air, but I diddnt have either, so a clean rag it was.

7. Reinsert spring and valve back into the timing cover and check for smoothness.

8. Hold the filter adapter against the timing cover and lightly tighten bolts. One bolt is longer which is the one located on the filter base.

9. Once all bolts are snug and filter adapter is square against the timing cover, tighten bolts to 35 Nm (26 lb/ft).

10. Reinstall filter and job done!

Last edited:

6cylpwr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Deleted
hmm...im definatly checking this on my two v6s now...one of them seems to have the pressure warning light coming on and off. never thought this could be the reason why. thanks for the write up:thumbsup:

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
I checked my Gregorys for the VP and states spring free length is 66.3 mm

sik_dose

Hybrids. Cars for fools.
Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Calais Turbo, VZ SV6
I need to buy a new gasket for mine. what would i call this part so they can identify the gasket at the shop?

sik_dose

Hybrids. Cars for fools.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Oil filter adapter gasket :)

I went to repco to buy one and there isnt a listing for oil filter adapter gasket in the ACL book. could the gasket be called something else?

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
oil pump gasket would be what i call it

sik_dose

Hybrids. Cars for fools.
Reaction score
Members Ride
So, if you increase the oil pressure is that likely to have any negative side effects..?

oil pressure can be increased up to 340kPa, minimum at 1850 rpm (opperating temp) is 275kPa, oil pressure switch contact pressure is 41Kpa. intresting question so i went and found an answer. If you increased oil pressure above 340kPa i think a gasket may fail somewhere.