HOW-TO: Remove the central area of the console in VR-VS (and VN/VP i think)
Tools: Philips head screwdriver, 10mm socket and extension, a gentle touch.
I couldn't find how to remove some of these parts, so thought i would write up. Hopefully nobody else has done so already, feel free to tell me if i missed anything.
To remove central region:
- First, open the lid of the ashtray and pull upwards, it should pop out.
- You then can visibly see the area under the console, grab the region where the ashtray came from and pull up gently, this should cause the large area of console to pop out (warning this must be done gently as if you yank up to quickly you will most likely tear out the wires for the lighter)
- Unplug the lighter.
- Twist the console piece around facing sideways, gently move it up and over the head of the gear lever.
- Lift off the two black strips Econ/Power, and the PRND123 black strip.
- (this bit is prone to snapping) Pull the gear level down to about, 1st, twist the plastic gently so that the slice will slip around the transmission lever. remove.
- You now can see three screws along the bottom under the cdplayer/heater control region, undo all these. Then you may pull this black area out gently.
- To remove the large central section, unscrew all the screws holding down the frame for the shifter (auto).
- Unplug the small light for the shifter.
- Now unzip the handbrake completely.
- You will see two large screws at the top of the main section, just above the transmission lever, unscrew these both, not completely however.
- Now open lid for central console, remove arm rest via two long screws.
- At bottom of the central console there is a small square of carpet, on either side of this is two holes, both of which under the carpet have 10mm bolts. Get your socket and extension and remove these.
- The main section is now free, you can tip it upwards and pull towards the back of the car to slowly remove it, it can be difficult, be careful not to snap anything.
If you have any queries on how to pull out any other areas, please just ask.
if you intend to paint these parts, here is the link to the HOW-TO paint your interior: Painting Your Dash
Last edited by Kurtp; 03-01-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Isnt there a couple of wires in the centre console. Not just the lighter?
Great write up Kurt, well done mate.
Wombles: Cigarette lighter and cigarette lighter light I think its 4 or 5 wires in there.
EDIT: And the light for the transmission selector
NEW THREAD COMING SOON - VY SS