Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] VX Commodore Service How To Detailed

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Service

This is my own creation to help give you a idea on how to service you car. Like to think of it as kind of a dummies guide hehe.
I take No responsibility to anything you attempt your self, this is simply a guide to help you in the process of serving your car. I am not a mechanic, This is just simply the process i do to service my car If you are not confident in performing anything below , Please get you local mechanic to perform the work. Hope this guide helps in some way to help you save $

Oil Change.
Slide under the Front of the car, With a Suitable container at least 5L capacity. Also Lay down a towel if working on the drive way to avoid oil spills on the concrete.

Remove the Sump Plug, Using a 19mm Socket. Allow the Oil To Drain
screenshot20091121at120.png

Once Oil has drained, Remove Oil Filter. Using Hands, Oil wrench, or if the Filter will not budge, Use a Screw driver and put through the filter, and turn the whole filter to remove as a last resort. Note This Will Be messy, Place a towel or another container below to catch the oil.
img0772e.jpg

After Removing Oil Filter & Oil, Dispose of correctly by your local council regulations.

After Leaving the oil to drain, Make sure dripping has Stopped.
Replace the Sump Plug & Replace sump gasket. If you don’t replace the gasket, Expect Leaks!

Locate your new Oil Filter. You Can Use a Ryco Filter Part Number Z154 Or a GM Holden Filter. Contact Your Holden dealer for Details, They cost about $10-$15.

With Fresh Oil, I Use Valvoline 10-30 Engine Armor as recommended From $35-$45
Using your finger, Place some fresh oil around the rubber gasket on the new filter.
Pour Some fresh oil into the new Filter, about 3/4 full or 2cm from the top of the filter.
Screw the new oil filter on where you removed the old filter.
Screw the filter on till it contacts the main surface, Then tighten firmly, About 2/3 of a turn.
DO NOT over tighten, If you over tighten, You can warp the seal, Then you will have leaks.
Once the new filter has been installed, and the sump plug has been replaced, On the top left side of the engine (looking front on), open the oil cap.
Pour fresh oil into the engine using a funnel. The capacity is 4.8Ltrs.
Remove your dip stick, located at the right front with a yellow pull tab. Clean the Dip stick with a old rag, Then check the level again. Wait 10 mins to be sure all the oil has gone to the sump, then check the level. The level should be at the full line locate on the stick.
Oil Should Be changed Every 6 months or 10,000kms, Witch ever comes first. It is also recommended to check oil level weekly.

Spark Plugs And Leads.

Located On Both side of the engine, Are 3 spark plugs Each side.
Located here.
img0773.jpg

Depending On the the brand of spark plug, They should be changed from 20,000kms up to 80,000kms. With Holden GM plugs, They should be replaced every 40,000kms. Brands Such As NGK, Bosch or GM Holden Plugs
The Process is the Same per side, Remove the Ignition lead boot from the spark plug, It maybe firm so pull by the boot, NOT the Lead, Then remove the spark plug with a spark plug socket & Wrench or Spark Plug Swivel Tool

Remove Each Plug One at a Time!! If you pull all the leads off at once, You will run into trouble knowing witch lead goes where and your engine timing will be all wrong.
After Removing the Spark plug, Install the new spark plug, do not over tighten, just till firm is all they need.
While the lead is removed, Test the Lead with a multi Meter. cylinders 1,3,5 should be Less then 10,000 Ohms, cylinders 2,4,6 should be less then 17,000 Ohms. If Any Leads are higher, Replace ALL the Leads. Bougicord Are original branded leads.
Same Procedure, Replace One Lead at a Time to avoid confusion.
Cylinders 2,4,6 can be quite difficult due you have to feed the leads under the alternator with black protective tubing, If Tubing is cracking, replace (or use Zip ties I Found easiest)
Be Careful not to bend or pull on the leads as you can damage them.
Once Lead is checked or replaced, Push Lead boot firmly onto the new spark plug.
Check Over you work to make sure all leads are firmly in place.

Air Filter.
Very Simple Process Replacing the Air-filter. The Air filter should be changed every 40,000kms

Locate your Air-filter Box, On The Front Right Side (looking at the engine)
img0774o.jpg

Unclip All clips around Airbox, Lift The Top Cover Up, And remove the Filter.
Then install new filter, Place Top cover back on and redo the clips. Be sure to reinstall filter with metal grill facing up.

Fuel Filter.
The Fuel Filter should be changed every 40,000kms
The Fuel Filter, Located at the Driver side rear just inside on wheel.
screenshot20091121at113.png

Pop the Bonet. Remove the Fuel Pump Relay in the fuse box just behind the battery Shown here. Read The Reference Guide so you pull the correct relay out.
screenshot20091121at121.png

Jump in the car and crack the engine till it stalls. This will depressor the fuel lines. After the engine stall, Disconnect the Battery, Removing the Negative terminal, You want to avoid sparks when working around fuel.
(BE SURE TO HAVE YOUR CODE FOR YOUR RAIDIO) You will need to re-enter the code after disconnecting the battery.

Jack the Rear of the car up Via the Diff and place car stands in appropriate locations. Safty FIRST! Or Reverse the car up on on ramps.

Locate the Fuel Filter as Shown below.

I Highly Recommend to purchase the fuel filter removal tool, As the Clips on the Fuel filter are very easy to break and you will need to replace the Whole fuel line to the.
I Bought This Kit from Auto barn,
screenshot20100202at102.png

Find a suitable container, place below the filter.
WEAR SAFTY GOGGLES. You Don’t want fuel in your eyes, it burns a lot. Flush your eyes with water if fuel spills into your eyes.

Place the Tool over the clip, Push the Hose towards the filter, Then press the tool to release the clips, then remove the hose. This may take a few goes and can be tricky.
After removing both hoses, Remove The Old Filter and mounting strap, The New Filter should be supplied with a new mounting strap.
Check the Filter for Flow direction, It will display a arrow or a OUT symbol on the filter.
Push the fuel lines back on the filter until they are fully pressed in firmly.
Install the New Mounting strap and clip the filter back in.
Lower the car, Reconnect the battery once all tools & fuel are removed from under the car.
Reconnect the Battery terminal.
Turn the Ignition on, Allow the Fuel Pressure the build before starting the car.
Start the car (Note the car may cough slightly due to lack of fuel for a second or so)
Double Check the Filter just popping your head under to check for leaks.

While You are Under the Bonet. Check Power steering & Coolant levels.

Hope This Guide has Been Useful in some way. I Have Got lots of information From Just Commodores, And I Hope to contribute more to the site.

Let Me know of any Booboos i have made.

Cheers :)

Last edited:

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Nice writeup yet again.

In addition, you can negate the use of the fuel line disconnect tools by pushing the fuel line towards the filter and then depressing the two plastic tangs. A wiggle and a pull should have the line disconnected. It's probabaly not as easy to do on the floor as on a hoist, but it's another option to buying the tools.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Yeah, I tried doing it with out the tool, and could not get it to budge, So You can try with out the tool, But i found it much eaisr with it :)

Maxseverity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
I couldnt get it with either =S lol

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 2002 Executive v6. Ex Patrol Car
Very good thread. I have a question.

When I first got my VX commodore about 2 months ago, I replaced the leads, the spark plugs, the oil filter (New oil of course), did pretty much everything above (Including air filter) except for the fuel filter (If I'm honest, I was used to working on a CM Valiant... Aaaaaand I couldn't find the fuel filter :p). But I am having the same problem as when I first baught it: **** fuel economy.

Shes an EX undercover car, so has the chip and such (Though I know for a fact they are supposed to return BETTER fuel economy then stock), shocks breaks. All the good crap.

To give you an Idea of how bad it is, stop starting I will only get around 400K's to a tank. Traveling from NSW to QLD I got about 650-700 (So its ok on the HWY but it should be better, around 6.6 - 7.5 according to the internet, where as mine is 10l/100k)

When it iddels it sounds a little bit rough. normaly this would be sweet, in the val you just fiddle with the dizzy till you get that perfect awesomly sexy idle... But Commodores don't have Dizzys.

Any ideas? Its costing me an arm and a leg to run and I don't have the money to get it serviced because all my spare money goes on freeking fuel!

Could the front fan belt have anything to do with it? It seems a bit worn (Like cracks in the rubber), but surely that can't cause it?

Pwease hewlp me ^_^

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Hey Mate.

I Would replace the Fuel Filter, If its blocked it cause cause economy issues.
THe Filter is on the driver side rear, just up behind the tank a bit, its easy to see and get to.
But i only ever get about 700kms freeway driving and 500ish city driving.
But I Have kept track and my avg is 8.6, those figures are a bit low, mazda 3s avg only about 7-8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Alright. I will try that.

Also looking over the car idels at 1.2k, so I am going to adjust the accelerator boss so it idels around 700 or 800 (The lower I can get it the bestter IMO). Also will be repacing the belt, and a mate is going to help me replace the oil sump because the sump screw is jammed and compelatly and utterly ####ed. Ill let you know how it goes (Waiting on money :p)

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
That Idle is WAY to high, It should be between 650+ / 750- RPM, and you should not be changing it as it is set by the ECU. I would disconnect the battery for a little while and let the whole car reset.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Alright Ill give that a go tomorrow morning and see where the Idel is at after that.

Sure the cops didn't purposfully wind it that way for some reason using the accelorator boss screw?

straycoot

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx Commodore
Dammn Leads

This is not easy to remove leads-Mine are stuck-any ideas on removal-Twisting and pulling dosn't do it?

Service

This is my own creation to help give you a idea on how to service you car. Like to think of it as kind of a dummies guide hehe.
I take No responsibility to anything you attempt your self, this is simply a guide to help you in the process of serving your car. I am not a mechanic, This is just simply the process i do to service my car If you are not confident in performing anything below , Please get you local mechanic to perform the work. Hope this guide helps in some way to help you save $

Oil Change.
Slide under the Front of the car, With a Suitable container at least 5L capacity. Also Lay down a towel if working on the drive way to avoid oil spills on the concrete.

Remove the Sump Plug, Using a 19mm Socket. Allow the Oil To Drain
screenshot20091121at120.png

Once Oil has drained, Remove Oil Filter. Using Hands, Oil wrench, or if the Filter will not budge, Use a Screw driver and put through the filter, and turn the whole filter to remove as a last resort. Note This Will Be messy, Place a towel or another container below to catch the oil.
img0772e.jpg

After Removing Oil Filter & Oil, Dispose of correctly by your local council regulations.

After Leaving the oil to drain, Make sure dripping has Stopped.
Replace the Sump Plug & Replace sump gasket. If you don’t replace the gasket, Expect Leaks!

Locate your new Oil Filter. You Can Use a Ryco Filter Part Number Z154 Or a GM Holden Filter. Contact Your Holden dealer for Details, They cost about $10-$15.

With Fresh Oil, I Use Valvoline 10-30 Engine Armor as recommended From $35-$45
Using your finger, Place some fresh oil around the rubber gasket on the new filter.
Pour Some fresh oil into the new Filter, about 3/4 full or 2cm from the top of the filter.
Screw the new oil filter on where you removed the old filter.
Screw the filter on till it contacts the main surface, Then tighten firmly, About 2/3 of a turn.
DO NOT over tighten, If you over tighten, You can warp the seal, Then you will have leaks.
Once the new filter has been installed, and the sump plug has been replaced, On the top left side of the engine (looking front on), open the oil cap.
Pour fresh oil into the engine using a funnel. The capacity is 4.8Ltrs.
Remove your dip stick, located at the right front with a yellow pull tab. Clean the Dip stick with a old rag, Then check the level again. Wait 10 mins to be sure all the oil has gone to the sump, then check the level. The level should be at the full line locate on the stick.
Oil Should Be changed Every 6 months or 10,000kms, Witch ever comes first. It is also recommended to check oil level weekly.

Spark Plugs And Leads.

Located On Both side of the engine, Are 3 spark plugs Each side.
Located here.
img0773.jpg

Depending On the the brand of spark plug, They should be changed from 20,000kms up to 80,000kms. With Holden GM plugs, They should be replaced every 40,000kms. Brands Such As NGK, Bosch or GM Holden Plugs
The Process is the Same per side, Remove the Ignition lead boot from the spark plug, It maybe firm so pull by the boot, NOT the Lead, Then remove the spark plug with a spark plug socket & Wrench or Spark Plug Swivel Tool

Remove Each Plug One at a Time!! If you pull all the leads off at once, You will run into trouble knowing witch lead goes where and your engine timing will be all wrong.
After Removing the Spark plug, Install the new spark plug, do not over tighten, just till firm is all they need.
While the lead is removed, Test the Lead with a multi Meter. cylinders 1,3,5 should be Less then 10,000 Ohms, cylinders 2,4,6 should be less then 17,000 Ohms. If Any Leads are higher, Replace ALL the Leads. Bougicord Are original branded leads.
Same Procedure, Replace One Lead at a Time to avoid confusion.
Cylinders 2,4,6 can be quite difficult due you have to feed the leads under the alternator with black protective tubing, If Tubing is cracking, replace (or use Zip ties I Found easiest)
Be Careful not to bend or pull on the leads as you can damage them.
Once Lead is checked or replaced, Push Lead boot firmly onto the new spark plug.
Check Over you work to make sure all leads are firmly in place.

Air Filter.
Very Simple Process Replacing the Air-filter. The Air filter should be changed every 40,000kms

Locate your Air-filter Box, On The Front Right Side (looking at the engine)
img0774o.jpg

Unclip All clips around Airbox, Lift The Top Cover Up, And remove the Filter.
Then install new filter, Place Top cover back on and redo the clips. Be sure to reinstall filter with metal grill facing up.

Fuel Filter.
The Fuel Filter should be changed every 40,000kms
The Fuel Filter, Located at the Driver side rear just inside on wheel.

Pop the Bonet. Remove the Fuel Pump Relay in the fuse box just behind the battery Shown here. Read The Reference Guide so you pull the correct relay out.
screenshot20091121at121.png

Jump in the car and crack the engine till it stalls. This will depressor the fuel lines. After the engine stall, Disconnect the Battery, Removing the Negative terminal, You want to avoid sparks when working around fuel.
(BE SURE TO HAVE YOUR CODE FOR YOUR RAIDIO) You will need to re-enter the code after disconnecting the battery.

Jack the Rear of the car up Via the Diff and place car stands in appropriate locations. Safty FIRST! Or Reverse the car up on on ramps.

Locate the Fuel Filter as Shown below.

I Highly Recommend to purchase the fuel filter removal tool, As the Clips on the Fuel filter are very easy to break and you will need to replace the Whole fuel line to the.
I Bought This Kit from Auto barn,
screenshot20100202at102.png

Find a suitable container, place below the filter.
WEAR SAFTY GOGGLES. You Don’t want fuel in your eyes, it burns a lot. Flush your eyes with water if fuel spills into your eyes.

Place the Tool over the clip, Push the Hose towards the filter, Then press the tool to release the clips, then remove the hose. This may take a few goes and can be tricky.
After removing both hoses, Remove The Old Filter and mounting strap, The New Filter should be supplied with a new mounting strap.
Check the Filter for Flow direction, It will display a arrow or a OUT symbol on the filter.
Push the fuel lines back on the filter until they are fully pressed in firmly.
Install the New Mounting strap and clip the filter back in.
Lower the car, Reconnect the battery once all tools & fuel are removed from under the car.
Reconnect the Battery terminal.
Turn the Ignition on, Allow the Fuel Pressure the build before starting the car.
Start the car (Note the car may cough slightly due to lack of fuel for a second or so)
Double Check the Filter just popping your head under to check for leaks.

While You are Under the Bonet. Check Power steering & Coolant levels.

Hope This Guide has Been Useful in some way. I Have Got lots of information From Just Commodores, And I Hope to contribute more to the site.

Let Me know of any Booboos i have made.

Cheers :)