Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VZ] Aftermarket driving lights into standard bar

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
Had a few people intrigued since we did this so thought id do a quick write up, excuse the lack of progress pics but i didn't take any during it.

Tools:
Jigsaw
Powerdrill
Switch
Wire
Fuse
Screwdriver / socket set
Driving lights
File

You will require these style driving lights
6646.jpg

they are available in clear and blue from most Repco's / Super cheap auto's

Standard:
DSCF1530.jpg

After Driving Light Install:
DSCF1847.jpg

On:
DSCF1857.jpg

Step 1:
You will need to remove the black bezels in the front bar. Simply push in the clips and they push out.
DSCF1847-1.jpg

Step 2: Hold the driving light to the bezel and trace around the glass of the driving light.

Step 3: Using either a drill or a jigsaw cut out around the INSIDE of the line you traced just to be safe.

Step 4: Once you have cut out the oval shape for the lights do a test fit by pushing the rear of the light through the front of the bezel. you may need to file the plastic back a bit if its a tight fit.

Step 5: Once you have the light fitting well push the back of the light through the front of bezel and then attach the driving light mounting bracket to the rear of the light on the back of the bezel. this should ensure that the light will not fall out forward or backwards out of the bezel.

Step 6: Optional - Use silicone to seal the back of the light for added strength if you wish.

Step 7: I'm gonna assume you have some basic capability with wiring, because all thats left is to wire up the lights, in our case we wired our lights up to the cigarette lighter connection for the power source, this ensures that the lights dont stay on when the car is turned off. We placed our switch in the center console behind the power window switches using a round switch available from Dick smith or jaycar.

Enjoy

Photo0027.jpg

Last edited:

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Looks good, wouldn't mind doing that to my VY. Just wondering how or if you can align them so that they are pointing straight ahead when they are mounted in that position?

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
they are on a slight angle, but they still light up the road ahead and a bit of the sidewalk. It wouldnt be too hard to get them aligned straight if you were worried about it

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Remember - if they are driving lights - as you refer to them, then they must be wired so that they only come on with high beam and of course go off when switching back to low beam. If they are actually fog lights, then they can only be used during periods of low visibility. That means fog, dust, smoke. They should not operate in conjunction with low beam. In fact they should only operate together with parking and tail lights.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
Remember - if they are driving lights - as you refer to them, then they must be wired so that they only come on with high beam and of course go off when switching back to low beam. If they are actually fog lights, then they can only be used during periods of low visibility. That means fog, dust, smoke. They should not operate in conjunction with low beam. In fact they should only operate together with parking and tail lights.

yes, if your in an area where the cops care about that...

are you commsirac?

Afrikano

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Vy Ute
Hey mate, i have noticed that i have these driving lights on my vy that i recently bought, but cant find any switch to turn them on, there is wiring and the whole lot, but i have no idea with all that.
how to i find out if they work and how do i get them working?

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
I noticed you went through the trouble to blank out your number plate on all the pics, just wanted to let you know you missed the first one.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
First plate is yellow, if you look close, the blanked ones are white backing

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
Hate to dig, AND be a pain in the butt... however; it should be noted (considering this is a how-to guide) that in order to make this install LEGAL for fog/driving lamps, that they must be relay activated through the parkers, and for spot lights through the high-beams...

I understand there are pretty much NO cops that are going to inspect the wiring of your accessories, but it should just be noted for any members who reference this excellent guide. Mainly for RWC and insurance purposes, but also just in case..

please no pointless flaming, i'm only putting it out there, i'm not preaching.. mmmkay

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
Hate to dig, AND be a pain in the butt... however; it should be noted (considering this is a how-to guide) that in order to make this install LEGAL for fog/driving lamps, that they must be relay activated through the parkers, and for spot lights through the high-beams...

I understand there are pretty much NO cops that are going to inspect the wiring of your accessories, but it should just be noted for any members who reference this excellent guide. Mainly for RWC and insurance purposes, but also just in case..

please no pointless flaming, i'm only putting it out there, i'm not preaching.. mmmkay

Hate to tell you, but that was mentioned only a few posts ago, and we didn't care then, still dont now. I will continue to wire up lights differently to annoy people who insist i do it right.