Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] Fix VR-VS Key (Pics)

Maxxiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Firstly, don't come crying to me if you totally destroy your key and have to go buy a new one. I suggest having a spare if you are going to attempt this, however I don't, so thats why I had a go at fixing it.

Secondly, The rumour that "The key will erase itself once opened and you will have to go pay to re-program the key" is NOT true.

Now with that out of the way, onto the how to...
If your VR/VS Key is either not disarming the immobliser or the central locking is not working you can see how to fix it below.

What You will need:
(Leatherman can be replaced with screwdrivers etc..)
100_0327.jpg

1) Pry apart the key using a knife/flathead screwdriver, the screws on the key are not holding the case together, so disregard them for now. Mine had already been opened so was just held together with superglue, some may be harder to open than others.

2) Once Opened you will see the following:
Central Locking battery connection (Red)
Immobliser Connection (Green)
Central Locking Aerial Connection (Blue)
100_0330.jpg

3a) [CENTRAL LOCKING FIX]
Now if your central locking is not working it is most likely either the battery is not connected (as seen below) or the aerial is not making connection (blue circle).
100_0332.jpg

3a) i) To fix hold the battery down, it can just be clipped back in but chances are it will come undone again, so I used a little bit of superglue under the battery, then clipped it in. Depending on how bent up the battery is, you can also just place foil under the battery, making contact with the connection underneath it. To make sure the central locking worked, I also put a piece of foil in between the actual key (metal part) and the aerial connection (as seen below). I just found it easiest to loosen the screw a bit, put the foil in then tighten screw.
100_0331.jpg

3b) [IMMOBILIZER FIX]
Now, as you would probably know, the immobliser is disarmed for 30 seconds once the central locking is activated, and this usually suffices, but can be a pain in the ass. If the immobliser does not disarm with the key in the ignition on ACC, then you want to make sure the metal rod is making proper connection with the ignition barrel connections and the inside of the key (green circle). This part slides out, just make sure the connections are all clean etc.

4) You want to make sure it works, so put all parts back into place and put the key back together. While holding the key together, go to your car and test the central locking. Lock it again using the key so the immobliser arms. Open the car using the keyhole and now turn your key to ACC, see if the immobliser light goes out. If you did it right, it should. Key fixed :)

4) Now just run some superglue around the outside. Hold firm for 30 seconds. You now have a fully functioning key.

I figured this all out my self experimenting, so if I have left anything out, or doing anything wrong let me know. Otherwise have fun. Ill try answer any questions you have as best as I can.
Max :rofl2:

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Good write up mate!!! I might use it on my old key when it dies.

norteangel

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden commodore (vrpc93a )
any ideas on how to fix the button if its cover is broken off? My key is in tact and works but the outer soft cover that you press to unlock the car is broken off and I have a tiny hole to try and put a big finger in to to unlock the car its driving me insane!

Maxxiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Ive heard using sikaflex or similar, just take the buttons out once pryed apart and just put sikaflex in there and smooth it off in line with the rim of the button (If that makes sense)

hulmy29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute Series 2
the screws on my keys are either screwed or missing , would i just go to holden and get new original ones or am i able to get them else where, just i hate wagga holden with a passion

faroogoo

SENTINEL
Reaction score
Members Ride
GMH
the screws on my keys are either screwed or missing , would i just go to holden and get new original ones or am i able to get them else where, just i hate wagga holden with a passion

I got new screws for both my keyheads from one of those shops that are in major shopping centres,theyre usually in the centre walkways & usually do other stuff like watch repairs,key cutting etc.

The guy just replaced them for free so i dont imagine they would charge anymore than a couple of dollars at most.

Maxxiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Yeh the screws arent that special. If you couldnt find them you could maybe ask around this forum if someones got a dead key or whatever. They're just small, flat bottomed screws, im sure you could find some similar somwhere

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
Guys i seriously would not open your keys up they are a sealed unit for a reason,, Factory original VR keys are the only ones that should ever be opened as they were designed to have the battery replaced,,, Every other model the battery is soldered in place an a replacement battery wont work as the remote was not designed to take a replacement item,, You can blow the circuit in the remote. Holden Factory batteries are slightly different to the batteries you buy at you local shop..

To save yourself the dramas just take the working key to a locksmith an get them to copy it onto a new head,, simple an easy to do takes all of 5min,, Holden will charge a bucket load for a new key last i checked was $180 for the key then ya gotta take it somewhere to get cut if you getting a whole new key, expect to pay around the $50 mark to get it cut then back to Holden for another $80ish to get it programed... A decent locksmith should be able to cut an program the key for around $100 to $130. again takes all of 10min if they a decent locksmith. To introduce the key to the car takes all of 30seconds its so simple...

To save yourself the dramas i seriously recommend not opening the heads,,, also before anyone says i have no idea what im on about iv been in the key industry for nearly 3 years and at my old job i specialized in automotive keys an not just Holden..

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
I got new screws for both my keyheads from one of those shops that are in major shopping centres,theyre usually in the centre walkways & usually do other stuff like watch repairs,key cutting etc.

The guy just replaced them for free so i dont imagine they would charge anymore than a couple of dollars at most.

I work in one of these shops myself,, I can cut program an introduce a commodore key $110. takes me 5min max,

Maxxiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Guys i seriously would not open your keys up they are a sealed unit for a reason,, Factory original VR keys are the only ones that should ever be opened as they were designed to have the battery replaced,,, Every other model the battery is soldered in place an a replacement battery wont work as the remote was not designed to take a replacement item,,.

Tbh, I really dont think you know what your on about. I didnt un-solder the battery in this case, but my mate did and his is working fine.. My key works better than it was after I opened it up and... it still works.:hmmm:
:idea3: