Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] + VY How to disable Traction Control (ETC)

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
For those people with LPG factory fitted you will not need to worry about this, this should already have been performed by Holden.

For those with LPG you can disable Traction Control very easily (should already be done, if not it can cause problems when driving as the ETC changes spark firing and air/fuel ratio as well as boost for supercharged vehicles). If you dont have LPG, and just dont like Traction Control this is also the right topic to disable it.

NOTE:
Holden will not build a vehicle with Electronic Traction Control (ETC) and LPG, as the systems are incompatible. If a vehicle with ETC is to be fitted with an aftermarket LPG system, the ETC system must be permanently disabled.

NB: This how-to will only tell you how to disable Traction Control. It will not disable ABS. Thus your ABS system will still work properly.

The proper and recommended way to disable ETC is this:

1. Open your bonnet to reveal your ABS module on the drivers side wheel arch.

2. Disconnect the battery

3. Remove the wiring connector you see on the front of the ABS module.

4. Locate terminal 27 and push it out of the connector. NB: If your unsure the wire is Black/White in colour.

Image of connector in case your confused:
VTYE98Harness.jpg

5. Use some electrical tape to tape up the terminal.

6. Plug the connector back onto the ABS module.

7. Reconnect the battery.

8. Close your bonnet and enjoy no traction control.

Please note that when this is done the ETC system will be disabled. This will result in the TRAC OFF light (in VT and VX) and the TRAC OFF warning on LCD screen (VY) to be active. VT and VX owners, do not remove the warning lamp in the cluster. It is there for a reason, and reminds you (or the owner) that it's function is unavailable.

I do not take any responsibility for you being actually able to take off properly in situations.

Last edited:

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
awesome..... but i just want it set up so it stays off most of the time and at the push of a button, i can turn it back on. ( the opposite of how it is now)

SAMO-87

Reaction score
Members Ride
02' VX Berlina 5.7L
At the risk of sounding stupid, isn't turning traction control off in a VT/VX as simple as pushing the button next to gear selector?

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
awesome..... but i just want it set up so it stays off most of the time and at the push of a button, i can turn it back on. ( the opposite of how it is now)
That you would need to still re-flash the ECU. You will have to put up with it a while longer i guess. Sorry i couldn't help you :p

At the risk of sounding stupid, isn't turning traction control off in a VT/VX as simple as pushing the button next to gear selector?
SAMO-87, yes it's that simple, however this does it permanently. No risk of not knowing whether it's on of off. That way whenever you start your vehicle it's always off. No need to toggle it.

Main reason for this how to is that it needs to be disabled for LPG vehicles.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Yes, when you want to put it back on simply untape the terminal and push it back into the harness. This will enable traction control again.

Oblivion3284

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman S2
I dare say you could. Im not about to cut my wire though without seeing it work before hand. Haha

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Whats the ABS module look like? any screws to remove etc?
ABS module is simply that box near your fuse box with a few metal tubes running into it. From memory there are no screws to remove.

Can you just put a switch on that wire so you could have it on/off whenever you want?
Philthy, didn't think of that, the wire does run to engine connector 1 (one of the three connectors at the firewall in front of the steering wheel). From there it passes through the firewall and across to the passenger side of the vehicle where it connects to the PCM. It is possible to put a switch in between, and in theory this will work fine. Pin 27 is only the response signal for the torque request from the PCM, so i can't see switching it on and off normally would be bad. This would elimante the need for the traction control switch inside the vehicle too.