Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] + VY Easier Way To Disable Traction Control (ETC)

holdencple

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS 5.7L LS1
For those wanting to do it the easy way without unhooking the battery and fooling around with the ABS module then using electrical tape to seal it back up.
here it is : located at the firewall passenger side is the traction control unit unplug the conector plug with the blue top, tie it off out of the way and your done,no traction control and easy to connect back up when needed :)
May not be usable on all Commodores :- this has been used on a 2001 VX Clubsport and a 2004 series 2 VY SV8 LS1 without any error codes coming up not sure what other models this will suit.
Pretty sure your able to do this with all ls1 engines.

refer to pictures attached.

engine.jpg

engine2.jpg

Last edited:

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
I would suggest AGAINST doing it this way for anyone. Also, this is only for Gen 3 engines. For the only way Holden supports disabling ETC for the V6 and V8's refer to: https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vy-how-disable-traction-control-etc.122209

The connector pictured above is YE127. YE127 is the connector that connects the throttle relaxer to the Automatic Throttle Relaxer Module. This will not disable ETC properly, only knocks out the Automatic Throttle Relaxer motor. If it disables it it will be causing errors or the vehicle will be still retarding sparks but not having control over the throttle.

juzzyx

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY Wagon
Doesn't have the cable in VY 04' series II commodore

Vyss2003

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vyss
Hi

Have been reading about disabling tc will try it
Im also after info on my vy ss it has many options factory leather seats
Extractors and i was trying to find out what sort
Of kilowatt i would have

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
i'm confused

if you have traction control then you have the button yeah? is it so hard to just push the button after starting the car ?

boomnvn

SOLDER, NO CRIMP.
Reaction score
Website
www.KungFuKustoms.com
Members Ride
VT Exec S1 V6
it's instead of having to push the button after starting the car each time.
permanently disabled, until plugged back in.

I would also prefer the single wire method, as if you're crafty enough, a relay and switch could be wired in as a traction control master switch.

Cheers,
Spudley.

L335K1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1
i know this thread is old, but thought i would let u guys know how i did this to my VT series 2 calais 5.7 as i couldnt find an answer anywhere even on the US LS1 forums. didnt wanna pay for something either as i was sure i could do it myself. I bought a $10 relay from jaycar, basic 4 pin pulse relay i think was from a horn. Connected the 2 pins that open/clsoe the relay and spliced them into the red and grey wires going into the traction control switch. i also left the wires connected to the TC switch so the switch still functions as normal. Connected the negative - to the closest earth under the console (as the relay is located under my power windows switch), but connected the power + to the cranking wire. I chose to remove the plastic from around the steering wheel and found the wires coming out from the ignition switch (located opposite the ignition switch.) I used the purple wire which my multimeter indicated was active during cranking, spliced into this, soldered and heatshrinked a wire into this which runs under dash through the stereo area and under the gearshift to the relay located under the power windows switch.
so how this works is when i turn my key to crank the engine, the relay closes the pins which connects the red and grey wires (simulates pressing the TC button.) So when the car starts, my TC light is ON, meaning TC is off by default. i can then press the TC button to turn it off/on and it works fine. i didnt like the idea of removing pin 27 from the TC ABS harness as i still wanted the functionality of TC but just wanted it off by default. hope this helps someone else.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
There should be a separate section for dodgy how-to's because this one definitely falls under the 'do at your own risk category' haha.

L335K1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1
negative. being an IT technician with electrical knowledge i fail to see whats 'dodgy and risky' about this. please explain

Rodj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS WAGON S1
Hi

Have been reading about disabling tc will try it
Im also after info on my vy ss it has many options factory leather seats
Extractors and i was trying to find out what sort
Of kilowatt i would have
Series 1 235kw. Series 2 245kw.