Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Broken Odometer

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Hey guys,

I have decided to start documenting my work that I do on my car. I am not a mechanic but i do like to do my own work on my cars and any problems that I have I try to repair myself. To help me i usually scroll the net in search of tips and ideas, and I thought that any repairs I do I might as well document so that if someone has a similar problem to myself than they will be able to fix it at minimal cost. So here is my first of hopefully many repair manuals. I like the visual aspect so I will always include lots of photos. This guide will be on a broken odometer. I odometer broke a few months back. For those who dont know the odometer records the distance traveled by your car. Everything else continued to work, speed and revs gauges but the odometer just stopped (not that this was too much of an urgent matter to fix but when you do go to sell your car you may need it to get a roadworthy or whatever).

At first I was going to replace the whole instrument cluster, going for around $70 on ebay. Then I found a little kit that sold for $40 that said it would repair the problem. So i purchased one and when i received it I almost vomited. It was a little envelope with a piece of A4 paper with 4 blurry pictures and a few circles around some screws. It also had a tiny plastic gear sticky taped on it. Hardly worth $40 but if it fixed my problem I spose it would make me happy. Save me a bit on buying a whole new cluster.

So the only part that you will need is a gear. You will see the gear you will need in a moment. Im not sure where these can be purchased from but i think holden may stock them. I have been told that holden can repair this for around $80, so if you do it yourself i have saved you a bit of money. If anyone can confirm where this gear can be purchased from that would be fantastic. Sorry about the last images, i had posted to many, so you will need to copy and paste the last few...

*Before you start working on your car it is always a good idea to disconnect the negative battery lead from the terminal. This is a precaution to prevent any accidents.

------

First.jpg

So first to remove the instrument cluster...
There are two screws which you will need to remove.

------

Second.jpg

You will need to lower the steering wheel to give you enough room to maneuver it all out. Simply pull the clip down then move the steering wheel down.

------

Thrid.jpg

To remove the dash holding the instrument cluster in you will need a flat blade screwdriver to pry the outer sides. They are cliped on so you will need a bit of force to pull it from the clips.

------

Fourth.jpg

Now you will have the dash off, you will need to disconnect the wiring from the Air Con/Demister/Hazzard Switches as well as the Lights switch. You will notice them when you try to remove the dash. They are clipped on and you can just use your fingers to unclip them (see below for another angle).

Fifth.jpg

This is the dash, once it is removed.

------

Sixth.jpg

Now there are two screws either side of the instrument cluster. You will need to take these out (unless one of them is broken like mine).

------

Seventh.jpg

Remove the instrument cluster and place it face down on a piece of newspaper or old sheet to prevent scratches on the screen. There are 8 screws which can be removed using a flat blade screwdriver and 3 nuts which will need a 10mm socket.

------

http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adslv0x2/Eighth.jpg

The odometer/speedo will come out as well as tachometer.

------

http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adslv0x2/Tenth.jpg

In order to get good access to the gear you are trying to repair you will need to remove the small screws and needle. The needle simply pulls off.

------

http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adslv0x2/Ninth.jpg

You will then need to remove two more screws connecting the circuit board on the end. The flat round cylinder is the motor that turns the odometer, just for general interest.

------

Eleventh.jpg

This is the little gear that commonly causes the fault. The teeth are supposed to extend the diameter of the gear on the smaller gear. This is the one you will need to replace. It simply sits there on a small lip, so just lift it off and put on a replacement gear.

Putting it all back together is simply the reverse of removing it. Hope it helps someone out there, please let me know if you have any difficulties.

Chris

------

Last edited:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Excellent job kopper69....I've seen the little gearwheel for $13 but we all know it only costs a few cents to make. Again - a top post and one that will certainly add to the confidence of many Commodore owners.

raywise

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive 3.8 & VS Berlina 3.8
I've just pulled my VP gauges apart to find out why my odometer is not working, and the small plastic gear is only missing 1 tooth, so I dont' think that is the problem. I can manually run the gear around in the housing and the odometer turns, maybe the drive motor is faulty. Bah, i'll have to keep trying.

Hoo Roo

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Positively excellent post. And especially the pics explaining it all. Guess who's pul;ling their dash out next week to replace a switch, now that he's seen how easy it is? :yeah:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Raywise - one tooth missing and you have a problem. It'll work for a day or two till it stops again where the tooth is missing. The plastic that the gear wheel is made from ends up just like cheese - try digging your fingernail into it. VDO sure know a thing or two about planned obsolesence.

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
i suggest an admin or mod move this topic to the how-to section.

raywise

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive 3.8 & VS Berlina 3.8
hako said:
Raywise - one tooth missing and you have a problem. It'll work for a day or two till it stops again where the tooth is missing. The plastic that the gear wheel is made from ends up just like cheese - try digging your fingernail into it. VDO sure know a thing or two about planned obsolesence.

ah, yes. I didn't check the teeth themselves, probably are all soft and not doing the job. I'm going to pull the dash out again now and check, lol. Good thing it is easy to do. Thanks for the heads up.

Hoo Roo

R

Ragg

Have saved me so much time and money with this post .
Thanks .
Managed to track down the part from local auto elec guy Brand new $11.00
Wreckers wanted me to buy the whole spedo $220.00 :rofl:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Chris - Kopper69, Just a suggestion but how about editing your excellent post on this subject by stressing the need to disconnect the battery before playing around with the dash. Someone only has to turn the ignition on to listen to their radio with the dash out and they will cause all sorts of error codes etc. Regards and again - a top post.

B

bodgeydodge

has anyone thought about the speed sensor on trans as this convert the speedo signal that is sent to cluster from mechanical to electrical in the early vn-vp there is a driven gear mounted on a steel shaft these snap off and strip teeth vr on use a magnetic pulse signal in a square wave form