Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] Electric window maintenance

petesheab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Hi All,
Here's an idea to prevent horrible problems with the lecky windows in the future.
As part of your beloved Commodore's regular maintenance try squirting a little Armoral into the window track. Open the window half way and slowly squirt Armoral into the groove that the window runs up and down in. Have a cloth handy to clean up any spillage.
Operate the window (with the engine running to prevent battery drain) and you should notice a difference within a day or two. Armoral lubricates and softens vinyl and rubber surfaces reducing friction on window winder motors. Worked well on my VL Calais that had sat for ages prior to purchase.
I have to repace Passenger and both rear door motors as a result of motor burn out. Common problem.
I'll post an easy to follow guide on how to do this soon. (Rear doors are cabled and not looking forward to that!)
Cheers.
Pete

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
does it have to be armorall .. or will any silicone lubricant work? .. im guessing Inox and WD40 would suck as their oil-based and would get soaked up by the rubber?

buzzboi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Commodore Acclaim
Just a concern... how does this effect any window tinting??? I have old tinting which I'm not really worried about (since we do plan to replace it at some stage) but I will need to know for future reference as well as maintaining what we have for the moment... :)